Job offer what should I do?

Soldato
Bit of a strange one.

I have been headhunted by another company for a new position which could be interesting but has a bigger chance of boring me to absolute tears its a 6k payrise which would make a big difference to me and is closer to home ~20mins

but on the other hand I am quite happy with my current job, I get on with my colleagues really well but the commute is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour (with car sharing to keep fuel down)

weighing everything up i think my current role is better for career progression and having a more diverse role which is important being 26 it makes my CV pretty solid. but the money is really trying to sway me as the difference it would make would be huge.

What would you do?
maybe talk to my manager about a payrise? whats the best way to go about it? I know I am under payed this is the second job I have been offered with more money now

TL;DR offered job more money, want to stay at same place but get more money what to do?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Being closer to home, you'll probably find its worth more than just the extra £6k.

1) Tell your manager about the offer and ask if they're willing to negotiate on a pay bump on the basis that you're happy. Do you have a plan b? What if your current employer won't budge on money?

2) Tell the interested employer you are happy where you are and £6k isn't enough to make you jump ship. They've headhunted you, so you already know there's interest. Maybe they would be willing to offer more?

Associate
If you do approach your manager, be very cautious of coming across as putting the gun to his head.

What you've said in your post, would be acceptable to me to hear as a manager, if presented correctly. You're clearly in a dilemma, and I'd expect the full 6k wouldn't be needed to affirm your commitment. Depending on your relationship with your manager, speaking is usually the best way to go about it.

Depending what you're on currently, 6k could be a big jump (and sounds like it is) and there is a good chance your manager would see it as such.

Whatever you do though...be prepared to follow through.

Man of Honour
Were you really headhunted or just approached by a recruitment agent? Agents will tell you anything to get their commission.

By the sound of it you are better off staying at your current place as you say it is more enjoyable and offers better future career prospects.

Soldato
OP
Were you really headhunted or just approached by a recruitment agent? Agents will tell you anything to get their commission.

By the sound of it you are better off staying at your current place as you say it is more enjoyable and offers better future career prospects.

Head hunted its a very incestuous business everyone knows everyone but where I am also branches out into different fields

Associate
Hi

Mate, if I were you I'd probably stay in the current job. 6k is attractive, but what price would you put on getting on really well with work colleagues? Some friends, my wife and also myself have been in positions where you have to work with some real idiots (want to swear but will get banned). That can be partucularly stressful and make you want to leave.

Good luck anyway.
Cheers
S.

Soldato
OP
If you do approach your manager, be very cautious of coming across as putting the gun to his head.

What you've said in your post, would be acceptable to me to hear as a manager, if presented correctly. You're clearly in a dilemma, and I'd expect the full 6k wouldn't be needed to affirm your commitment. Depending on your relationship with your manager, speaking is usually the best way to go about it.

Depending what you're on currently, 6k could be a big jump (and sounds like it is) and there is a good chance your manager would see it as such.

Whatever you do though...be prepared to follow through.

That's my worry I do not want to come across as "give me more or I will leave" I feel under paid for what I do there's not many people in my field. I am currently on 24k.
One company offered 27k+full company vehicle (too much travelling for me at the time)
Now this company is offering 30k so the extra 6k is a huge bump for me and with having just purchased a house would make life very comfortable for myself but I worry about being miserable in a job

My boss is fairly new but a nice guy, I just don't want to force my own hand

Soldato
That's my worry I do not want to come across as "give me more or I will leave" I feel under paid for what I do there's not many people in my field. I am currently on 24k.
One company offered 27k+full company vehicle (too much travelling for me at the time)
Now this company is offering 30k so the extra 6k is a huge bump for me and with having just purchased a house would make life very comfortable for myself but I worry about being miserable in a job

My boss is fairly new but a nice guy, I just don't want to force my own hand

Why not ask to spend some time with the new company, a day or two on your time. Get to know who you'll be working with and what exactly you'll be doing.

If it were me though I'd be going for the easier commute and more cash though.

Soldato
Personally I would put being happy at work above a rise but as this is a 25% increase with less commute it's a difficult position.

Approach your manager and lay the cards on the table about new house, work life balance etc. and see if he can't sway a £3k rise, that way it would be more manageable for him and you wouldn't be kicking yourself for not chasing the money.

Whatever you do don't go in saying "I want £6k or I'm gone" as if he calls your bluff you would have to leave and then would also have burnt your bridges about ever going back

Soldato
I would ask for more money from the new job.....see how keen they are.

I wouldn't approach your current boss until you have a written contract with the new company and make your choices then when you have something in writing incase the existing job/boss decides your holding him to ransom.

Caporegime
Tough one. I'd love the smaller commute, and an extra 6k would have course be nice, but it's not a huge sum and both job prospects and job interest are of vast importance.

Soldato
I'd make a decision. £6k is a good jump and could improve your quality of life noticeably. As one poster suggested, have an honest discussion with your manager and explain that you'd like to stay but also can't ignore an offer like this. See if there's anything they can offer to keep you there. Otherwise go.

Soldato
IMHO step one would be to tell the new job offer you are happy and get along well with your current colleagues etc and say 6k isn't enough to warrant the change. If they come back and say tough your decision is made for you. If they offer more I imagine the new offer would be enough to jump ship so then you talk to your manager, if he says no your decision is made for you, if he gives you a pay rise then you get more money where you are happy, so you can stay. Up to you though.

Soldato
It doesn't sound like the new job is worth it, but it's worth having the conversation with your manager. Say that you've been offered it but you don't want to leave, and you'd appreciate them giving you some assurance that you've made the right decision as you could obviously get more elsewhere.

Soldato
I'd make a decision. £6k is a good jump and could improve your quality of life noticeably. As one poster suggested, have an honest discussion with your manager and explain that you'd like to stay but also can't ignore an offer like this. See if there's anything they can offer to keep you there. Otherwise go.

I'd argue that being bored in your new job, which you spend 35-40 hours a week doing, is not improving your quality of life, only your bank balance!

Back
Top Bottom