Project Alternate

Associate
OP
I started to make a video for YouTube & realized I still needed to sort my wires out as the KB & Mouse wires was hanging over the front of the desk.

Had a couple of options, go to the sides, back or front
going to the sides would mean the mouse & KB would need to be disconnected every time I
lift the glass & you could also still see the wires.
Same story for the back they would be seen still.

Going with the front meant I had to make a hole in the desk :(
But this idea was best, wires cant been seen & the KB & mouse can stay on the desk as the glass lifts
high enough to get inside to most the components & clean if needed.

The KB will still need to be taken of the desk if I lift the glass all the way back though.

DSC_1391_zpsppqtwlvb.jpg

Looks cleaner now, just need to touch up with some black paint.

DSC_1390_zpszihe2knx.jpg

DSC_1389_zpsivfezjpd.jpg

Associate
OP
After completing this build iv gone though 4 screens, at the start I still had my 1440p IPS screen but with
the new desk I wanted to use some more of that GPU power & go with 3 screens or 1 4K screen.

As the bigger 4K screens offer more desktop space & higher resolution I decided to go with that.

The 1st screen was a BenQ BL3201PT 4K 32"

20150924_115138_zps7aeywd69.jpg

very nice build quality, but with other screen on the market with the same specs & 10" bigger I decided to try the next step up
AMH A409U 4K 40"

DSC_0462a_zpsrobccnk4.jpg

Its also shown in the main photos uploaded last month so I wont post them again.
The screen was great, build quality & menu not as good as the BenQ though, but as its the screen Im most bothered about this monitor was better in my eyes
& 8" bigger.

Was having some problems with the remote on the AMH, so the seller offered me a Crossover 434 4K 43" instead, cant complain with that :D
Loving the new screen, best of the 3 4K screens iv had so far.

DSC_1430_zpsceijigfg.jpg

DSC_1424_zpsv3ecrgag.jpg

20151106_124454_zpsa5foty22.jpg

As I was swapping screens I took a couple of shots without the screen on the desk...

DSC_1223_zpshpjq8zwk.jpg

DSC_1220_zpsknur9wmb.jpg

DSC_1203_zpsdyzqr82b.jpg

DSC_1200_zpspswt3xvj.jpg

Associate
OP
4K 43" loveliness! Just fits perfectly with your desk. Still in awe of this build...

Congrats by the way: http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2015/11/25/bit-tech-modding-update-november-2015/2

Thanks Luggs, perfect size for the setup, but would consider an ultrawide when they start to pop them out over 34" :D
Think I was in 3rd on Bit-Tech, same as last time lol
but great to be in the top 3 as my 1st desk was in 2nd to last i think lol

BTW, Im also on the list to be mentioned on a live case at some point,
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/496604-featured-build-logs-004-voting-thread/page-?mode=show
Drop a vote if you can
I want linust to say my name :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Been sorting though my videos & decided to not use this clip in the final video im working on, so sharing it now to show how the desk top lifts & the way the wires are running.

I did have motor sound but unfortunately I also had some random music in the background that go my vid copyright flagged :(
so you have to make do with some YouTube tunes lol
Sorry.

Soldato
Awesome,

But you know what would make this even better? Mount the screen on a thin piece of wood and use an old car electric window motor ran off a relay and get it to slide down out the way on shutdown and start up like they do with the tvs built into beds. Then just make a "flap" that open backwards that hides the opening when its down

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Awesome,

But you know what would make this even better? Mount the screen on a thin piece of wood and use an old car electric window motor ran off a relay and get it to slide down out the way on shutdown and start up like they do with the tvs built into beds. Then just make a "flap" that open backwards that hides the opening when its down

I did consider the option of using a motor screen lift but as the desk is in my small room I dont need to hide the screen and wouldn't probably
use the feature so I decided to save some time and cash,
instead I went for a motor glass top lift as this is more useful to me, also hadn't seen it done before.

Associate
OP
Quick update,

I have a GIVEAWAY live now on reddit, you only have to drop a comment on the post to get yourself entered..
ends in 3 days time - https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3ohqwx/my_4k_gaming_pc_custom_built_in_desk/

Here are the items -
DSC_1694_zpsi6qu04s4.jpg

1X Cooler Master V750 Fully Modular PSU
1X Cooler Master Nepton 120 XL
3X Cooler Master Silencio FP-120PWM fans
5X Cooler Master Jetflo 120 Fans (red LED)
1x Cooler Master ic essential E1 thermal compound

I need to say thanks to Chris @ CoolerMasterUK, when I asked if it was ok to giveaway some fans I didn't need
he said "Sure but lets add some extra bits to the giveaway to help someone get there build of the ground" ... also agreed to post them for me too :D
And thanks to the reddit admin that are helping with the post.

Iv also completed the final video for the desk build, should give you all a better idea of the overall look and so on..
give it a look when you have a spare 8mins or so. took me ages to get this last vid done lol
hope you enjoy!

Over and out....

Back
Top Bottom