VMware ESXI mounting drives

Associate
Hey yall,

I've just set up a vmware ESXI server as a home lab style setup. i have a couple of windows virtual machines set up now (windows server 2012, windows 7).
i have a couple of hard drives full of old movies and general storage that i want to mount to the windows virtual machine so i can share it across my network, however i cant find any way of doing this without formatting the drives to turn them into vmdk devices.
is this possible? am i missing something?

Thanks

Associate
Well if you put the drive in the ESXI machine you can mount it as a Raw Device Map.
You lose some of the benefits of VMDK's, but if it's a home lab they aren't likely to matter.

Associate
so ESXI cant access a drive that already has data on it?
seems like they missed something there :/

Not really; generally speaking ESXi was built to be clustered; VMs are designed to be portable (DRS). Binding a VM to a physical device (such as a pre-formatted volume) prevents easy migration such as vmotion / cold-migration and IMO should be avoided when ever possible (being lazy isn't a good reason).

Soldato
As has been mentioned a Raw Cevice Map is the way to go. I used RDMs to pass through four disks to my XPenology VM so I know it works.

Associate
If you have them in a usb caddy you can attach a usb device. Doesnt give the greatest perforamce but I found it was fine when running a plex server before I got my gen8

Associate
Is there no console command for it? In QEMU one can do "pci_add auto storage file=/dev/disk,format=raw,if=virtio" to hot-add a raw disk on a running VM, I'd imagine VMware has something similar considering its 'enterprise'.

Associate
OP
Not really; generally speaking ESXi was built to be clustered; VMs are designed to be portable (DRS). Binding a VM to a physical device (such as a pre-formatted volume) prevents easy migration such as vmotion / cold-migration and IMO should be avoided when ever possible (being lazy isn't a good reason).

makes sense when you put it like that, i just thought there would be a way to convert a disk to a virtual disk without having to format and lose data.
create a virtual store using a folder, or something along those lines

however i have now taken the plunge and copied the data over the network into a new VMDK.

i did try to go down the RDM rout but the option was grayed out, possibly the drive or controller isnt compatable.

Man of Honour
makes sense when you put it like that, i just thought there would be a way to convert a disk to a virtual disk without having to format and lose data.
create a virtual store using a folder, or something along those lines

however i have now taken the plunge and copied the data over the network into a new VMDK.

i did try to go down the RDM rout but the option was grayed out, possibly the drive or controller isnt compatable.

Try the guide I posted above, always worked for me regardless of hardware

Is there no console command for it? In QEMU one can do "pci_add auto storage file=/dev/disk,format=raw,if=virtio" to hot-add a raw disk on a running VM, I'd imagine VMware has something similar considering its 'enterprise'.

Mapping physical drives to virtualised guests is bad practice in an enterprise environment. You want the data on a SAN or at the very least a NAS so you can run multiple hosts to utilise the High availability features VMware offer

Associate
It's a moot point as you've gone the copying route, but you can totally convert an RDM to VMDK.
I've had the need to do it, and it does work. However, you need to have a licensed version of ESXi with Storage vMotion to do it.

The free version of ESXi is excellent for a single box home/SMB setup, but there are a lot of features that licensing is required for. Most likely you'll never need them, and even if you do the licensing cost will make free alternatives a better choice, though it might take a bit more effort.

(The other alternative would have been using vSphere converter, but I'm not convinced that would have been a better solution than just copying the data as you've already done)

Associate
OP
OK so it is possible just not on the free licence.
i'm still learning a lot about the different vmware products and what each package has to offer.

the home lab setup is just so i can learn more about virtualisation on a larger (business) scale.

Associate
OK so it is possible just not on the free licence.
i'm still learning a lot about the different vmware products and what each package has to offer.

the home lab setup is just so i can learn more about virtualisation on a larger (business) scale.

I don't think it's possible these days for a single person to fully understand what VMware has to offer in its entire product suite; they have so many products these days of differing nature that the traditional vm layer is just the tip of the ice burg (vSphere). I would suggest that you pick a product and not get too bogged down with the rest of the offerings and then branch out into what floats your boat the most.

I started with ESX 3.5, then into ESXi in single site clusters, moved into metro clustering and traditional DR with SRM and now my focus is on Horizon DaaS (formally Desktone) with a tiny bit of vCAC / vRealise Automation but I'm lucky that I work for a service provider and get access to the VMware Partner stuff.

Back
Top Bottom