Mortgage Calculator

Associate
Literally just Google mortgage calculator and set it to a rate which fits you, it's gonna be different when you go and get a mortgage as the deals change constantly.

Also a mortgage advisor will show you the rates and incentives to the mortgage just got a grand cashbook from one it's pretty much paid the legal fees.

Soldato
I would have thought you just use any mortgage calculator and keep moving the slider until it fits your budget.

The general rule is 1.5x your salary but you would rarely get a 100% mortgage

Soldato
I would have thought you just use any mortgage calculator and keep moving the slider until it fits your budget.

The general rule is 1.5x your salary but you would rarely get a 100% mortgage

Most banks will lend you more than 1.5X your salary. When we were applying recently it ranged from 2X-4X my individual salary.

Soldato
Most banks will lend you more than 1.5X your salary. When we were applying recently it ranged from 2X-4X my individual salary.

I honestly thought they changed that after the last crash due to irresponsible borrowing (obviously not irresponsible lending :rolleyes: we can't blame the banks)

The interest rates won't stay this low forever

Associate
Mortgage calculator is useless, if you want to know exactly how much you can borrow then you have to go to bank and discuss it with mortgage advisor.

Don
Find a mortgage broker, not a bank. It's free to get quotes they will explain anything to you.

Also read up on money saving expert, they have a newbie guide :)

Soldato
If 2 of you are lending it's 3.5x your combined salary, if it's 1 person it's 4x their combined salary, obviously subject to creditchecks and affordability

Man of Honour
Ignore everyone on here stating that banks all go off explicit values such as 3x, 4x, etc. I recently borrowed 3.7x combined salary, and they were offering as much as 4.5x. That's combined, not single salary. That's with Halifax. Have a look at online calculators and compare what each lender is willing to do.

Soldato
For the last 18 months (and longer for some) banks/morgtage providers haven't used salary multipliers, actually taking the affordability of repayments as the primary decider in whether to approve your loan. So what other outgoings you have will drastically affect the amount you can borrow.

The easiest way to get a ballpark figure is to run numbers on money supermarket or similar.

Man of Honour
For the last 18 months (and longer for some) banks/morgtage providers haven't used salary multipliers, actually taking the affordability of repayments as the primary decider in whether to approve your loan. So what other outgoings you have will drastically affect the amount you can borrow.

The easiest way to get a ballpark figure is to run numbers on money supermarket or similar.

Almost all do now go no higher than 4.5x, or at least this was the case from April to August.

Commissario
Shop around as well as using a broker. We made the mistake of using a broker through a family recommendation, in the end we didn't get as good a deal as if we'd gone to First Direct or even Natwest.

Soldato
Almost all do now go no higher than 4.5x, or at least this was the case from April to August.
There are obviously implicit multipliers within that, but it is just down to whether given your normal expenditure you can afford it, it was a requirement that came in last year.
The more you earn the higher the multiplier can be because obviously more of it is disposable because your base costs don't increase at the same rate as salary, but that has always been the case anyway.

Caporegime
Shop around as well as using a broker. We made the mistake of using a broker through a family recommendation, in the end we didn't get as good a deal as if we'd gone to First Direct or even Natwest.

this - in fact always check first direct & HSBC... they often have much better deals than you'll find with a broker

brokers are more useful if you've got some situation that isn't standard - like you're a contractor or you're in a probation period of a new job etc.. as then their market knowledge comes in handy - if you're just trying to find the cheapest tracker on the other hand then they're not necessarily going to get you the best deal rather they'll just get the 'best' out of the subset of providers they work with

Soldato
Back in the 90's you would get a 100% mortgage(even if a student) plus another 10% on top for extras. The days!

Set me up in home ownership for life that. Came out of Uni with nothing but a load of student debt and a job offer and got 110% mortgage on a 5x multiplier of my starting salary. Paid all the stamp duty and a bit of furniture. Rode the boon to get a load of equity and moved on to bigger and better over the years.

On my significantly better salary now I couldn't get a mortgage to buy that first flat now if I was a first time buyer with 5-10% deposit. I feel really sorry for young people trying to get on the property ladder.

Man of Honour
I honestly thought they changed that after the last crash due to irresponsible borrowing (obviously not irresponsible lending :rolleyes: we can't blame the banks)

The interest rates won't stay this low forever

If it was 1.5x virtually no one would be able to afford a mortgagee.
Even at 4.5x then your only looking at 135000 for 30k wage which is just above average.

Back
Top Bottom