Making the jump from Android to a Windows 10 mobile?

kbc

kbc

Associate
I tried it twice and unfortunately I just couldn't stick with it. I had a Lumia 920 and a 930, I think the hardware is great the OS is nice and fluid. The devices are spectacular.

But the lack of apps just couldn't keep me on it. I use all Google services, email, drive, maps, Google Music. It didn't make sense to me to stick with Windows mobile. I have tried to adjust to it, finding Windows alternatives but for me - simply impossible.

Soldato
The OS is slick, simple and great to look at but I just couldn't live with it day in day out, my works Lumia 925 just sits in my draw and I use a dual sim Android handset.

Wierdly for an OS made by Microsoft it doesn't integrate nearly as well as with my work exchange and office 365 account as my Android handset and is a right pain in the backside at times quite frankly.

The only thing it had over Android was Here Maps but as that's now available and free its an irrelevant point.

Soldato
I'm giving the 950 and Win 10 a try and doubt I'll be disappointed. I've never really been blown away by Android and my now 3.5 year old Sammy S3 has got really slow - something I hear the windows phone avoids. I think Win 10 apps will be plentiful in a while. Apparently Windows 10 apps only need a few small tweaks to work on the mobile and think it'll be easier to port other non-windows apps across if I read correctly recently.

Microsoft have been doing great lately and think they'll be taking Windows 10 phone in a good direction.

Caporegime
Windows Phone is rubbish. I have gone into why a number of times, but in summary there's not a single thing Windows Phone does that Android and iOS don't do better.

Associate
Nope.

App selection is just way too limited and even If the apps are there 9/10 they're not a priority for quick updates.

Doesn't really look to improve anytime soon.

Was midly interested in the 950.

Soldato
Windows Phone is rubbish. I have gone into why a number of times, but in summary there's not a single thing Windows Phone does that Android and iOS don't do better.

Old Win 8.1 phones?
Unlock phone by looking at it and Continuum and able to run like a desktop when connected to appropriate devices. Don't think the others provide either? :). Neither are massive selling points to me but we'll see - I think these new devices will suprise a few.

Caporegime
Android has has facical unlocking for a few years. Android has also had the ability to plug monitors into it and use it full screen on some devices for ages too.

The latter seems quite pointless, who owns a monitor, keyboard and mouse, but doesn't have them connected to a PC already?

Mobster
Soldato
If you want apps just forget about Windows Phone. It's not a strong point and anyone who denies that is a fool quite frankly.

Hardware wise Windows Phone devices equal Android ones now so that's not an issue.

To me it just seems like you're jumping ship for no reason?

Soldato
How many apps do you all need? Or how many do you use on a daily basis? It's nice to have a massive list to select from to try but I find a lot of them are rubbish anyway on Andriod. I use a small number of apps daily and as long as there are some decent quality apps on Win10 phone I'm sure I can find some I like and find alternatives to the apps that I normally use that aren't compatible with Windows 10 phone. I use Google keep which might not be available but can easily be accessed via a browser. Some apps can be added to Chrome browser too

Associate
OP
Woah, lots of responses!

I'm still very much sitting on the fence over this right now - part of my reason of wanting to switch from Android is that none of the current handsets are particularly desirable to me at the moment, but the 950XL is warming my cockles - and I feel like a change. The lack of apps is not really that much of a concern to me as I'm not a huge user of multiple apps and find the sheer wealth of them on Android a hindrance rather than a plus point. I'm also liking the idea that Windows 10 mobile is much more secure than Android, so I'm going to be spending a good deal of time reading reviews and pondering before making a decision.

Associate
It's about time for my contract to come to it's 2-year end, so I'm pondering on which mobe to go for next and am actually thinking of moving to something completely different.

My current phone is an HTC One M8, which is unlocked, rooted and booted with a custom ROM. I've done this on all of the Android phones I've had and am used to having a fair degree of freedom, but I'm starting to feel like a change.

No, not to an iPhone, dummy - I'm eyeing up the Lumia 950XL and have read a few reviews which describe the specs (and camera) as being nothing short of amazing, but that the Windows app market is sorely lacking when compared to the Android one. As someone who doesn't really install a great deal of apps, I use my phone mainly to sync with my work's exchange server, playing music (streaming/MP3's) when I'm commuting, taking photos/videos and playing the occasional game so I'm not that fussed about having a bazillion apps to download.

Have any of you guys made the jump from Android to Windows 8/8.1 mobile? Did/do you miss Android?

Went from a HTC Desire HD to a Nokia Lumia 920, almost three years ago. Previous to that owned a iPhone 3G & 3GS.

I've never looked back. I've been holding on to my Upgrade option and a rolling SIM since February in anticipation of the new Windows 10 phones, and tbh they look damn promising.

Lets just say I'm checking every day for a pre-order White 950 XL on Three :)

Back
Top Bottom