** NOW EVERYONE CAN ENJOY PCI-E NVMe/AHCI SSD's!! **

Soldato
So if I drop one of these in my P67 motherboard will I see the benefit?

This is awesome but does anyone know if the MSI Z77 MPower can boot Windows 10 from these?

Thanks. I've been looking around and given that my board is currently running 2x7970 @ 8x8x PCIE 2.0 I only have 1x PCIE slots left it either wouldn't work for me or just bottleneck. I'll stick to my plan of a 500GB Samsung evo and get a "1080Ti" or AMD equivalent next year followed by either Zen or the competing Intel offering.

It's motherboard features that are driving me towards an upgrade rather than the meagre performance improvements we've seen over the last few generations.

Will this work on x58 chipsets as a boot?

I've done abit of digging as I'm on a Z77 chipset...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1571271/tutorial-how-to-add-nvme-support-on-any-ami-uefi-bios-with-an-intel-chipset

Supposedly modifiable so any Intel chipset can boot the NVMe drives.

Associate
You seem to have a lot to say about OcUK pricing, if you don't like it surely it makes sense to just shop elsewhere?

Yes free speech and all that and I do shop else ware I'm not a ocuk zombie and ive been with ocuk since it was originally started with spie many many moons ago

Soldato
Anyway... an update on my finds if anyone cares :p

What I've done is :

Followed this tutorial to modify the latest BIOS for my Z77 motherboard. By default the Z77 chipset doesn't support booting from PCI-E/NVMe drives.
Flashed it to the board.
Set to UEFI not legacy.
It's abit sketchy, but the device doesn't appear in the BIOS. IT does get detected though.
Installed Windows 10 with no issues. GPT.
On reboot the drive is now detected under boot selection, but still not in the BIOS. Works just fine though!

The said tutorial supposedly works from Intel chipsets 6 series and above.

TLDR

I've modified a BIOS for my Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH and after some (a lot) of tinkering with BIOS settings I've successfully installed Windows 10 and can boot from the NVMe device. Christ it's quick. :cool: Runs toasty though!

Last edited:
Soldato

What I've done is :

Followed this tutorial to modify the latest BIOS for my Z77 motherboard. By default the Z77 chipset doesn't support booting from PCI-E/NVMe drives.
Flashed it to the board.
Set to UEFI not legacy.
It's abit sketchy, but the device doesn't appear in the BIOS. IT does get detected though.
On reboot the drive is now detected under boot selection, but still not in the BIOS. Works just fine though!

TLDR

I've modified a BIOS for my Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH and after some (a lot) of tinkering with BIOS settings I've successfully installed Windows 10 and can boot from the NVMe device. Christ it's quick. :cool: Runs toasty though!

I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH so it would be interesting to see if your boot with a stock bios.

OcUK Staff
OP
Yes I no jedifragger as I said been browseing site since it first began as you were.
Ive noticed many many loyal memmbers gone over the time for having a opinion ocuk didn't like

Still here ain't you? :)

The forums have become far more relaxed over the years and even though the company has grown vastly and is now part of much larger group which spans the globe OcUK has remained OcUK just more polished and only gets better. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Still here ain't you? :)

The forums have become far more relaxed over the years and even though the company has grown vastly and is now part of much larger group which spans the globe OcUK has remained OcUK just more polished and only gets better. :)

But you choose to ignore the fact you claim to have the best pricing, yet you have been told that you really don't. Selective responses for comments only. This is where the lack of belief comes in. Seems that you guys only want to push and promote "group brands" which I presume make you guys the most profit instead of the "best" products now. This is why you are losing out on customer support now.

You only have to look at your PC systems range, and its just full of "group brands" cases is a clear example. Why do you insist of offering only Kolink, Bitfenix, etc... what happened to offering full choice of brands... oh wait I know... sold out to the big corporation ethos.

Soldato
But you choose to ignore the fact you claim to have the best pricing, yet you have been told that you really don't. Selective responses for comments only. This is where the lack of belief comes in. .

This is what drove me to shop elsewhere, ocuk can see my history and activity, I would be happy with " sorry guys no further discount for now" but the creative claims like 1st to market or cheapest price when sorry none of them were true just made go else where. I still lurk mind hoping it will get back on track :p

Soldato
Certainly hard to differentiate yourself these days. Selling identical products on the internet with search engines showing you everyone's prices. Customer service is about all a company has, how much of a price premium is that worth, 5%, 10% more?

OCUK are my preferred supplier but the price has to be very close, for me that's a max of a 5% premium.

OcUK Staff
OP
But you choose to ignore the fact you claim to have the best pricing, yet you have been told that you really don't. Selective responses for comments only. This is where the lack of belief comes in. Seems that you guys only want to push and promote "group brands" which I presume make you guys the most profit instead of the "best" products now. This is why you are losing out on customer support now.

You only have to look at your PC systems range, and its just full of "group brands" cases is a clear example. Why do you insist of offering only Kolink, Bitfenix, etc... what happened to offering full choice of brands... oh wait I know... sold out to the big corporation ethos.

SSD pricing on the 951's my error they were on weekly offer but when I posted the offers had ended and the prices gone back up. I'll get them back on weekly offer next week.

We don't limit the case options on systems:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-tech-labs-skylake-z170-pro-gaming-pc-configurator-fs-004-tl.html

One could also flip it around and also say that OcUK actually gives you the most choice of brands I don't think anyone has an in stock range of so many different case, graphics cards, memory brands such as OcUK does. One of our competitors only sells Corsair memory, we sell most of the memory brands. We even listen to our customers and have phased in brands at request, G.Skill springs to mind in the past.

Please let me know which current best brands and or products OcUK is not stocking and I will look into it or let you know why we choose not to list it. :)

Soldato
I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH so it would be interesting to see if your boot with a stock bios.

Well I put a stock BIOS back on and no luck, doesn't detect the drive at all. Even with a Win 10 install on it nothing. I find it really interesting that inserting 3 bits from a Z97 BIOS enables the feature in previous chipsets though...

With the modified BIOS :

j1nquUuh.jpg

vTN7JOrh.jpg

ngce9Fyh.jpg

Great upgrade, a stupidly fast drive, may even copy GTA V onto it to see if it makes a difference in loading :p

Abit annoying knowing that it will be cheaper in afew days though... ;)

Soldato
Please let me know which current best brands and or products OcUK is not stocking and I will look into it or let you know why we choose not to list it. :)

Logitech wheels? Surely the G29/ G920 would be pretty good sellers? The equivalent Thrustmaster which you stock (300 TRS) doesn't get a great press for reliability, nor does TM customer support.

Last edited:
Soldato

What I've done is :

Flashed it to the board.
Set to UEFI not legacy.

TLDR

Just modded my bios file (MVG) using that guide.

Had a check in MMTOOL4 and The 3 NVME modules are inserted.

MVG%20NVME_zpsuflpanhq.png

If the bios update fails, is it easy to revert to my original bios?

Will get me one these drives for Xmas and have a tinker if the bios works. ;)

Also how hot does it run and do you have to have any cooling for it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom