Swimming Pool in the wife's Golf

Soldato
So, all images in the link below hopefully. It's a '14 plate Bluemotion Golf. She's been having problems with condensation building up so j thought I would take a look. Opening up the boot I found the swimming pool in the images. The water doesn't stop there, the rear drivers side footwell and drivers footwell are also 'soggy' with mould starting to grow under the rear mats. Passenger side is all ok.

Never had an issue with the car but it was in a rear ender about 4mths ago with someone driving into the back of her at a junction. You can see the list of parts and labour that were carried out by Nationwide. Whilst investigating it all I found that the rear wiper hadn't been reattached (the nuts were all loose in the boot trim) and the rear washer pipe hasn't been reattached it's just loose under the boot spoiler.

Any ideas from the repairs where the water could be coming in?

http://imgur.com/a/xxe6z

I'll be speaking to Nationwide on Monday about it, but willing to have a poke around myself also.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd look to the door-seals for the source of the leak.
Also hatchback door alignment might be off.

Sadly following the accident, I'd expect some parts not to fit as tightly anymore. Expect this to be a continuing problem.

Associate
check the rubber door/boot seals also check the gutter rails on the roof if this vehicle has it.

Another thing to check would be the rear window seal make sure that all looks in tact

Associate
Just another idea Is it not possible to ask the repairers to have a look at it is a possibilities it has something to do with the rear ending which could have affected the alignment of panels etc.

Man of Honour
Comes expecting ultimate mod thread, reads about a puddle, leaves disappointed. Wanted 25 metre pool in 3 metre car :(

Soldato
I had this with one of my previous cars (Rover 400) the water was coming in at the front of the interior just under the windscreen behind the dashboard. The carpets & sound insulation was soaking the water up & the interior had a bad damp smell. I had to take the dashboard out before I found out where the leak was. I sealed all up & the leak stopped. Never had a problem after that in the 14 years I owned the car.

Associate
I had something similar with a mk1 Octavia. The drain pipes for the sunroof lead to a hole just above the wheelarch. One of these pipes had become detached and was draining into the boot. Pull the trim back around the wheel arches and look for anything similar?

Soldato
OP
All the seals are door and boot seals are seated ok. I just wondered if there were things like vents/seals somewhere in the rear that might not have been replaced when they did the work.

It's not a show stopper as its a company lease car through Lex, they nominated nationwide to do the repair after the accident as it was all on the company insurance. The wife's leaving her job on Tuesday and the car goes back to Lex on Thursday. Wondering whether to just put the carpet back in the rear and play dumb or let Lex/Nationwide know about the issue.

Soldato
OP
As a quick update, we alerted Lex to the fault, they said it was a good job as once the wife finished her job the insurance was null on the car, so if it wasn't the fault of the initial repair we would be up a creek in a leaky golf without a paddle!

Nationwide turned up to collect on the 24th. They rang a few days later to say they had found the fault and it was a seal around the underside of the boot that hadn't been fixed correctly, and was an issue with the original repair. They had the car until today, where they repaired the offending seal, dried it out and a full valet before returning. Inspected the car and there was still a big 'squelch' from under the carpet in the main cabin. So it's been sent back again for them to sort.

Ah well, at least I get to carry on driving round in the courtesy car, it's a very nice '65 plate Merc A180d Sport Auto, only had 200 miles on the clock when they dropped it off!

Associate
I thought this was about a really posh golf... Seems I mis understood, you can't actually swim in it!

They had it 24th and a few days to find the seal was bust then another week to fix it?!

Soldato
I thought this was about a really posh golf... Seems I mis understood, you can't actually swim in it!

They had it 24th and a few days to find the seal was bust then another week to fix it?!

And he's had the courtesy car all this time, my insurance premium makes sense now :)

Soldato
OP
No. Had it 24th. A few days to find and fix the seal, then a week'ish to let the car dry out as it was so wet you couldn't sit on the rear seats and water coming up through the carpets. If it was your car would you have said just fix it and give it back to me soaking wet, I'll sort out gettiin it dry........

If you read the whole post there is no insurance premium either, they repaired the original crash damage 6 months ago, didn't do it correctly, held their hands up and the courtesy car I've had since the 24th is at their cost not the insurance companies.

Back
Top Bottom