What Anker portable battery pack?

Soldato
So I've done a bit of searching and Anker seem to the recommended brand. But which one?

Is the 'Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12800mAh' the latest and greatest? What about the Astro 'E' series? :confused:

I'm torn because I'm going to Australia soon so want something to power my OnePlus One and iPad (and probably my girlfriend's S4 mini) for 30hrs, but beyond that I'd like something that's not too heavy so that I could carry it around in a work bag when I'm off site or going out for the day etc.

Cheers!

Ian

Ian

Associate
I have the 'Anker Astro E6 20800mAh' model and its excellent. Very quick charging of three devices at a time and carry it everywhere im out that wont have a power socket

Soldato
OP
Thanks. Although you can seemingly get bigger batteries with the 'E' series, to be honest they look a lot heavier once you do that. I much prefer the look of the Astro3. Hmn...

EDIT: And do you need a mains adapter for them? I'm a bit confused why you don't get one..

Last edited:
Soldato
The 20800mAh version is only 450g to the 12800mAh versions 300g, in terms of power to weight density, it's better and i'd much rather the huge capacity than worry about 150g in a backpack.

They charge from USB, or mains plug with a decent amp output USB socket if you don't want to wait a week for it to charge. Most people already have these, so no point wasting cost on including something that is useless to 95% of customers.

Soldato
PowerCore series is their newest one, I have the 20100 model and it replaced an older Anker 9000 (2nd gen Astro3? Can't remember) model, it was a step up in terms of size and weight but it's still quite managable.

If you really need another mains adapter, I have the Anker PowerPort 5 which easily charged my N10, M7 (and then OP2), GWR and my Moga controller at max speed with no issues and can recommend it if you have a lot of devices.

I also bought the compact USB 3 Anker hub... I seem to be accumulating quite a few Anker stuff...

Associate
I've got the Astro E6 20800mAh and it's the king tbh. I've had cheap packs from other brands and despite the claimed capacity never lasted as long as this one. Charges overnight everytime I've needed it.

Soldato
OP
PowerCore series is their newest one
Are they? They look more fugly tbh!

Yeah great prices on anker gear today. Bargains
Yes. Must find some time to make a decision today! Might even buy one for my girlfriend seen as they're so cheap.

I have to say I hate the look of the longer Powercore models.. picky, yes.. 10400mAh would be good for 3 charges of an OPO, right?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah well I just went for the Powercore 10400 in the end. The massive 20100 was tempting at only £16.79 but I don't travel that much and I could imagine it'd just be too heavy to carry around. I bought my girlfriend the mini pen one as well for brownie points. I'm sure she'll be really pleased :rolleyes: :p

Associate
Ah well I just went for the Powercore 10400 in the end. The massive 20100 was tempting at only £16.79 but I don't travel that much and I could imagine it'd just be too heavy to carry around. I bought my girlfriend the mini pen one as well for brownie points. I'm sure she'll be really pleased :rolleyes: :p

I got my bro the PowerCore+ 13400. Which apparently is the newer version of the PowerCore series that charges the actual power bank faster. 5 hrs vs 9 hrs according to the Anker promotional slides.

It's can be a bit confusing which ones are the latest models though.

Associate

I think the one you bought was a few pounds cheaper last week.
Ive gone for the Powercore+ model, been keeping my eye on it for a while now :p

Soldato
OP
It's can be a bit confusing which ones are the latest models though.
Very! The Powercore (not +) was first available on the rainforest Oct 2015, whereas others I looked at were available from 2013.. I don't understand why there's so many, even on the Anker website they're all still there :confused:

I got the Powercore mini (not plus), which was first available much more recently than the Powercore+ series.

Who knows...

Soldato
Sorry, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread Scam.

I'm after a portable power pack where size is my main priority, just for carrying out with me should I need a 50% - 100% charge in emergencies. We're only talking charging one device here, my Galaxy S6.

Is there anything that meets this criteria? I've looked on Amazon, but can't see anything.

• Enough to charge a Galaxy S6 (around 4,000mAh @ 70% efficiency?)
  • Quick Charge 2.0 to charge the phone as quickly as possible
  • Built in Micro USB cable
  • Pocketable - Don't need a 10,000mAh monster as above

Soldato
OP
A quick Google tells me the S6 battery is 2,550mAh so the Powercore Mini series should fit the bill? £10 (or £10.99 if we can figure out which is newer!), lipstick size and weighs only 68g. Oh and gives you over 3,000mAh.

EDIT: I don't know if any of them have a micro USB 'output' though..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom