Windows 10 Install Using Upgrade Tool

Associate
My old pc was on its last legs so decided to build a new one. I own my own version of Win 7 PRO Retail and made the Win 10 upgrade disk on my old pc. Will that work in my new build or will I have to install win 7 first and go through the upgrade process on my new pc to make another win 10 disc?

Soldato
It should now work if you made the w10 media recently with the fresh hold 2 release of w10, build 10586. In which case you should be able to enter the w7 key during the w10 install.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for prompt response. I made it three or four weeks ago weeks ago. Is it possible to check the build on my existing pc without running the software?
Am I safer to simply install win 7 pro retail and make a new upgrade disk on my new pc?

Soldato
If you want it activated quickest then install 7 first. I say this cos your 10 media is the older version and you wont know how long it will take for the fresh hold 2 update to show up in windows update doing it that way. Once you've upgraded 7 to 10 give it plenty of time once its activated then you can do a fresh install of 10 without any key.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help. I think I will go for the win 7 first route then hopefully any driver or other issues will be sorted in the new win 10 build.

Soldato
Thanks for your help. I think I will go for the win 7 first route then hopefully any driver or other issues will be sorted in the new win 10 build.

You should have no issues with clean install of Win10, saves you messing about with Win7 install.

Btw the latest Win10 ISO is now back on their website for download, they fixed the minor bug(via Windows Update), http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-restores-windows-10-november-update-media-explains-why-it-was-pulled

Last edited:
Associate
It should now work if you made the w10 media recently with the fresh hold 2 release of w10, build 10586. In which case you should be able to enter the w7 key during the w10 install.

yes you should BUT as I have just found out win 10 has to be activated first via the upgrade, you cant just do a clean install of win10

creating win7 usb boot as we speak.....

Soldato
yes you should BUT as I have just found out win 10 has to be activated first via the upgrade, you cant just do a clean install of win10

creating win7 usb boot as we speak.....

Were you using the 10586 build?

I've also had issues doing it the w7 way if you're too quick to wipe the disk after it's supposedly activated and then do a fresh install of 10 it won't always activate. Therefore if you plan on doing a fresh install of 10 after upgrading to it I recommend you allow the PC to be online for a reasonable time and for the activation to sink in to MS servers.

Associate
the build was downloaded yesterday via media creation tool , but no updates
my problem was that the win10 update kept failing and resorting back to win7.
Reinstalling 7sp1 as I type, I'm hoping I don't have to install 3 years of updates.

NOTE this is on a fx 6100 asus m5a based system

Last edited:
Associate
My old pc was on its last legs so decided to build a new one. I own my own version of Win 7 PRO Retail and made the Win 10 upgrade disk on my old pc. Will that work in my new build or will I have to install win 7 first and go through the upgrade process on my new pc to make another win 10 disc?

You need to install w7 first , already tried it !!

Associate
you can just install win7sp1, dont bother with updates (I also didn't bother to install chipset drivers etc either), activate.
Run setup from the mct usb.
I think you only get w10 home as your upgrading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom