• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Permabanned
this looks like it's caused by Freesync mate. Disable Freesync and my clocks stay locked at 1100mhz with no dips at all. But why should we run without Freesynce right. Obviously AMD dont have any Freesync monitors to test on.

I haven't got free-sync yet so it can't be just that.

In several games my core is between 3 and 5 hundred with fps under 30 making them unplayable.

The games ran fine the day before on CCC drivers and I did play them the day before so I know. ie SOC, CS and COP.

Associate
Please can you do a quick test to confirm?

1. Turn on your PC
2. Open up the new Crimson app
3. Shut down your PC
4. Do you get the error message?

I know if you turn your PC on and go about your normal stuff without opening up the Crimson app you don't get the error message when shutting down. I only get the error message when the app has been opened in any stage when the PC is on followed by shutting down.

Thanks

Yes, I get that error every time I try that.

Associate
Has anyone reported the core clocks bouncing up and down to AMD ?

Also, anyone without a Fury, also get the issue ?

I've had this issue on my 295x2 ever since the 15.7 drivers and I found that it was Frame Pacing that caused it. If I turn off Frame Pacing the clocks stay locked, I started a thread about it a few weeks back here

I've not tried the new Crimson drivers yet as I only just got FreeSync working with Xfire on my 295x2 with the 15.11.1 drivers and I'm scared of breaking it again with new drivers!

Caporegime
Afterburner reporting 15.8 etc..., is an AMD problem according to Unwinder :)

Reported driver version is what is stored in the registry by AMD driver INF. Address that to AMD. If you peek into Crimson driver INF, you'll see that is sets Catalyst_version in the registry to 15.8. At the same time additional separate version for new control panel radeon software has been added, and this one is set to 15.11.
I'm wondering, anyone from AMD software team ever heard about backward compatibility? How do they assume diagnostic tools should report the version? You cannot rely on Catalyst version because it now stores some bogus value with Crimson, you cannot safely rely on control panel software version as well because if you do then user decide to get rid of new shiny Crimson driver without uninstalling it completely - version will be displayed improperly on any older driver (because it doesn't overwrite "new" version entry). Classic AMD.

Soldato
I can confirm the core clock fluctuations are a powertune issue for me. Now when the GPU gets near your preferred temperature it will throttle rather than increase fan speed.

Previously I would set +50% power limit, 62% as target temp and 100% as target fan speed. This would allow my GPU fans to spool up to ~45% to keep the GPU at ~60c. Now the GPU never goes over 31% fan speed and the temp quickly reaches 62c and the throttling kicks in.

Might have to use AB or Trixx to set a fan curve, which is a pity as I prefer not using 3rd party tools.

Soldato
I haven't got free-sync yet so it can't be just that.

In several games my core is between 3 and 5 hundred with fps under 30 making them unplayable.

The games ran fine the day before on CCC drivers and I did play them the day before so I know. ie SOC, CS and COP.

hmmm. ok fair enough, weird then. For me, when i have my Freesync on I get core speed fluctuations, when I disable Freesync stays at 1100MHz constantly.

Associate
So i just installed the new AMD Crimson Driver and now i'm getting weird pixelated artifacts on some buildings when i'm moving the camera:
qi86x2ac.jpg
This it at the beginning of the game when you enter the first village. Anyone else?

r9 290 Tri-X oc
Win 8.1

EDIT: Problem disappears when i use 720p, strange...

Last edited:
Soldato
FreeSync Eyefinity

name="Peter Nixeus]
Yes - I can confirm FreeSync does work with Eyefinity as long as you are using DisplayPort cable direct connections to the AMD Radeon's DisplayPort outputs (not using adapters/converters).

1) You also need to use 3 of the exact same monitors for it to work correctly.

2) Depending on the amount of Eyefinity monitors you want to run, you will need a FreeSync capable Radeon Card with that same amount of DisplayPort outputs.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1577149/best-display-port/10#post_24526181

Soldato
Guys you still got the old CCC panel there?..When I click on "Try Advanced Setup" on display section , I only get this,

amd1_zpsq8tvcbym.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

amd2_zpseq5j3mjp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I only ask because I want to check my Pixel format RGB settings and saturation level.

Soldato
I always just install the display driver as I do all my over clocking in MSi Afterburner. Could I just download the new 'Minimal Setup' one? I assume it's only the driver, or do I have to download the full thing.

Associate
Well, my R9 390x would sit at a lower clock (300mhz-600mhz) when I was just at the desktop or browsing. Since the 15.7.1 driver and the new crimson, it sits at 1050 all the time and when you run the MSI clocks from 1050- 1080 screen tears and flickers and then from 1080 - 1100 it does the same or black screen. (These are preset clocks for the card from MSI)

I have reported this as it seems the card no longer goes into any low power state!

i can confirm this problem. installed Crimson last night and couldn't for the life of me figure out why everytime i enter a game, the screen would flicker like crazy, like a spasm. it's hard to describe, but it looks like screen tear/flash/flicker, and it does this is millisecond fashion. it renders games unplayable. i tried disabling ULPS, no luck. i rolled back to 15.7.1 and everything back to normal. my setup is dual R290x Sapphire tri-x in crossfire, i7 3770K, and LG 34UM95p.

Caporegime
I've had this issue on my 295x2 ever since the 15.7 drivers and I found that it was Frame Pacing that caused it. If I turn off Frame Pacing the clocks stay locked, I started a thread about it a few weeks back here

I've not tried the new Crimson drivers yet as I only just got FreeSync working with Xfire on my 295x2 with the 15.11.1 drivers and I'm scared of breaking it again with new drivers!

Hmm interesting, frame pacings recommended to be on for gaming, just off for benching.

Soldato
Has anyone reported the core clocks bouncing up and down to AMD ?

Also, anyone without a Fury, also get the issue ?

It might be coincidence, but I've just checked my Windows 10 Insider power options, after seeing low GPU clocks and found it in "power saver" mode.

I never use that mode, usually "high performance" and sometimes "balanced."

But doesn't Freesync also mess with clocks, or am I getting confused with the Frame Rate Target Control?

Back
Top Bottom