What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Took the FSTI in to the garage as it had developed a nasty hesitation at 2K and again at 4K and was generally running rough. To top it all the engine warning light was flickering on nd off!

Fearing the worst limped it to SSS and they plugged it in to diagnose any faults. Turned out to be an ignition coil failure. Of course it doesn't say which one. So under the bonnet he goes. Within 2 minutes he popped back up and said "I can fix that" grabbed some long nose pliers and started fiddling about deep in the bowels of the engine.

Turns out a broken circlip meant the coil wasNT fixed properly. Replacing the 1p part and it was as as good as new. Didn't charge me a penny.

We'll chuffed

Soldato
You think that's bad?

I capture this last week.

1d84fd99e8.jpg

Soldato
I purchased a Pipercross Performance Panel filter for my 2.5T and installed it today. What a difference it makes. Car definitely breathes better and doesn't seem so "asthmatic". It's smoother picking up in the lower rev range and accelerates very well in comparison to the stock filter.

I can totally see why the stock one should be removed. It's like 5" thick with about 4mm foam fitted to the end of it. The Pipercross is probably 1/10th in size. A worth while upgrade to say the least - very pleased.

Underboss
I purchased a Pipercross Performance Panel filter for my 2.5T and installed it today. What a difference it makes. Car definitely breathes better and doesn't seem so "asthmatic". It's smoother picking up in the lower rev range and accelerates very well in comparison to the stock filter.

I can totally see why the stock one should be removed. It's like 5" thick with about 4mm foam fitted to the end of it. The Pipercross is probably 1/10th in size. A worth while upgrade to say the least - very pleased.

nice :)

Yeah those panel filters are worth it for those gains, but they cost so much more than a standard one, I was going to do that with mine, but decided against it as I don't want to use my right foot more ;)

Soldato
nice :)

Yeah those panel filters are worth it for those gains, but they cost so much more than a standard one, I was going to do that with mine, but decided against it as I don't want to use my right foot more ;)

I agree they do cost more but when you think you're not needing to pay for a new filter when the service comes round, as you can just clean the performance filter, I think it's worth it.

I'm having a little fun with the new filter and my driving will calm down but yes, hard not to have a heavy right foot in a 2.5T :D

Plans next will be:
- Intercooler
- Down Pipes
- Remap

Soldato
Guys those drop in filters are all about the placebo don't kid yourself. Even with a totally reworked air intake and map youd be lucky if it made a couple of bhp difference to standard

Soldato
Guys those drop in filters are all about the placebo don't kid yourself. Even with a totally reworked air intake and map youd be lucky if it made a couple of bhp difference to standard

I don't think they actually are to be honest. The stock filter was great and did its job but the car now feels like it's drawing air better than before. I wasn't after a power increase at all, just wanted to improve the air flow - which the new filter has done very well. As above, lower rev ranges now has a smoother acceleration and it picks up better than it did with the stock filter.

Remap is different though as I would get an increase of 50-60bhp taking me up to 270 ish.

Soldato
I don't think they actually are to be honest. The stock filter was great and did its job but the car now feels like it's drawing air better than before. I wasn't after a power increase at all, just wanted to improve the air flow - which the new filter has done very well. As above, lower rev ranges now has a smoother acceleration and it picks up better than it did with the stock filter.

Remap is different though as I would get an increase of 50-60bhp taking me up to 270 ish.

Not to be pedantic but what do you think "improving air flow" should do?

Anyway, the important thing is that you're happy with what will have been a reasonably cheap thing to do

Soldato
Not to be pedantic but what do you think "improving air flow" should do?

Anyway, the important thing is that you're happy with what will have been a reasonably cheap thing to do

A 5" air filter with a 4mm foam pad at the end vs a 1cm filter doing the same job....speaks for itself really...

You try breathing through them and tell me which you prefer :rolleyes:

Don
So the endless woes with my Mk4 Mondeo go on.. It has now been into Ford and had a total of 4 hours of diagnostics works undertaken and even they can't work out what is causing this problem. They now want an open cheque book to start ripping out the cars wiring loom and looking for dry joints / similar :( This is a total of 7 weeks in a row that the car has been off the road, as a family we are really struggling to get by on only one car :(

This is a well maintained 8 year old car FFS!!!

Has anyone got any experience of selling cars with intermittent faults to the likes of Webuyanycar?

Soldato
Dyno for the world's least favoured type r today (despite the fact it's being sold)

Bang on the money in terms of whp really

This was hilarious, about 360 atthe wheels

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom