Job issues

Soldato
I'll try and keep it short as I can.

Basically I have trouble putting up with any job for more than 12 months, it's like once the initial novelty has worn off of doing something different/learning new stuff then I just start hating it, to the point of jacking it in.

It seems as though the older I get the less tolerant I am of rubbish jobs/people/workplaces, when I was young and naive I just put up with it but more recently as I'm older/wiser I just have no time for this crap.

I'm now at the point of jacking in yet another job I've had for about 12 months and I'm starting to think I'm never going to find anything, my main issue is that I can't really think of an area of work that I could settle down into and be happy to do for many years.

I'm an antisocial introvert that would probably best suited to crafting something in a little shed all day with the radio on, but that's neverland stuff as that age of things is long dead, that and I have no little-man-in-his-shed skills.

I don't expect many sympathetic views from this place so say what you feel you won't upset me, I've had years of working on shop floors with banter that would probably see you arrested and in court these days :D

Man of Honour
It certainly isn't dead, it just has to be high end or do something better than elsewhere.
Lots of such things exist.

Mate just started a soap business.
I purchased an emergency bivy type thing of another start up, as they listened to the critiques of the big companies offering and made what people wanted. They're selling well. Certainly in the hiking circles, the common thing is to send free samples to youtube reviewers and allow honest reviews. Very cheap starting out advertising.

Then just look at kickstarter, for shed business being live and well. Although ideally I wouldn't want to start a business that way. Lose to much money in fees/discounts and more importantly if successful far to many orders far to fast.

I've been looking at doing it for years, the biggest problem is finding cheap space to start. If you all ready own a house and can sling up a large shed or convert a garage, then that's the biggest issue.

Last edited:
Caporegime
problem is if you can't stay in one place for long and keep on having gaps then people are less likely to trust you as a potential employee and you might be confined to just the jobs you dislike

perhaps aim to become self employed

Soldato
OP
Start your own business doing what YOU like

This is my main problem with finding a job, I don't really like something enough to want to do it, I can take or leave anything TBH.

Short of jobs that 5 year olds want to do like Astronaut or test driver for Lamborghini I can't think of anything I'd actually enjoy doing.

I wouldn't have a clue where to start setting myself up, I don't have anything to offer as a service or skill.

Man of Honour
People don't usually have anything to sell to start with.
They go I like soap, I like cooking, I like whatever.
They then think if there's a market and what they can do and then once they have some idea practice maybe enter competitions or what ever.

One thing I would like to do, but start up costs would be to high, is make pans. I like cooking, but pans for one reason or another always annoy me. Could I just go out and make a pan, no. But I could learn. There are some lower start up cost ideas I've got though.

Caporegime
I'm an antisocial introvert

That's fine, everyone is different.

Here is a variety of jobs I can think of that would suit an introvert (knowing nothing about your strong points):

- Actuary (these guys are mostly total robots from my experience)
- Truck driver
- Gardener / landscaper
- Window cleaner
- Proof reader
- Coder (perhaps less so these days)

Soldato
OP
Here is a variety of jobs I can think of that would suit an introvert (knowing nothing about your strong points):

My background varies, but mainly aluminium fabrication, QA in auto manufacturing, industrial kitchen fitting (plumbing, wiring, gas etc) but I have no qualifications in anything apart from a lapsed FLT licence.

- Actuary (these guys are mostly total robots from my experience)
- Truck driver
- Gardener / landscaper
- Window cleaner
- Proof reader
- Coder (perhaps less so these days)

None of those jump out at me, I had to google the first(!), but thanks for the suggestions.

Soldato
There you go
If you are a kitchen fitter doing plumbing wiring and gas installs then.
Get a van, make some business cards and start going round houses with some leaflet drops.
Boom, own little sideline outside of work hours.
In fact, you could separate your business ideas up, leaflet drop two different avenues (to relevant people obviously) see which takes off or do both..
No one has to know you have a full time job to start with, just book all your work for evenings and days off.
Once you have stable outgoings then say ta ta to the day job.

It's basically what I am about to start doing, although I need a workshop, not a van. ;)

The job becomes a means to and end.. so that you can afford to buy your gear, set up your outfit and get moving on it without any real downsides (other than ploughing your money into something instead of savings)
Once you have a goal in sight it becomes much easier to stick with the **** job until you can afford to get out.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How about contracting in your field instead? You can move around regularly and even take periods off if you fancy a break.

Man of Honour
Any luck in finding a workshop?
They seem scarce, Unless you want a 5000sq metre thing.
Just a small single - triple garage at a reasonable price, seem non existent. Or at least I'm not looking in right place.

Caporegime
Any luck in finding a workshop?
They seem scarce, Unless you want a 5000sq metre thing.
Just a small single - triple garage at a reasonable price, seem non existent. Or at least I'm not looking in right place.

you can get small units on industrial estates of a similar size to a triple garage

Man of Honour
you can get small units on industrial estates of a similar size to a triple garage

What sort of places do they advertise, right move is useless for such things. And if I search Comerica/industrial or other estate agents, they're for massive things.

Soldato
2000 sq ft is about 1000 a month roughly round here.... That's big enough for me to start with, I doubt I could stomach much more outlay than that (and don't forget rateable value is another grand on top of that if you get a proper commercial place from the get go..)
I'm going to have to be very "back street" for a while in nothing more than a lockup but it's a start and will never happen if I don't start SOMEWHERE....

Last edited:
Associate
So you don't like any of your past jobs, you have no professional qualifications and won't try and get some to better yourself, you don't want to start a business as there's nothing you want to work at, you won't try to see if there's a market for something you do like, and so far all job suggestions from people don't tickle your fancy? With an attitude like that I'm not surprised you're in the predicament you're in... Perhaps you need to give yourself a shake?

Caporegime
What sort of places do they advertise, right move is useless for such things. And if I search Comerica/industrial or other estate agents, they're for massive things.

I'm not sure, a friend rented a small industrial unit quite a few years ago for a small busines, there are certainly industrial parks with varying size units in many locations but I think things like this aren't well served by the likes of rightmove - similarly I was considering getting a a lockup recently and unfortunately the web is next to useless for finding them despite the fact they're available all over the country

Associate
I'm not sure, a friend rented a small industrial unit quite a few years ago for a small busines, there are certainly industrial parks with varying size units in many locations but I think things like this aren't well served by the likes of rightmove - similarly I was considering getting a a lockup recently and unfortunately the web is next to useless for finding them despite the fact they're available all over the country

I rent my little unit from a local farmer. I spent a few weeks visiting local ones asking if they had anything available. One said no unless I wanted a smelly old pig shed. He was amazed I said 'yes'. It did pong for the first few months, but now is somewhere I can happily tinker. I spent a few months boarding it out, and getting electrics put in. It's not that cheap at £200 a month, which my full time job subsidies, but am hoping eventually it will pay for itself. A friend of mine also rents from a farmer, and his unit is half the price and twice the size, but I was not that lucky!

Back
Top Bottom