Mail Client That Will Sync Across Platforms

Soldato
I've set up POP3 mail for my business account in Outlook.com. It works fine in that I can send and receive mail from the browser. I also have the Android Outlook app installed, and again it can send and receive mail. The issue is with Syncing. If I send from one platform, it doesn't show in the Sent items of the other. Also if I delete on one platform, it still exists on the other.

Any ideas? Should I persevere with Outlook or try something else? I did try Gmail, but the Inbox app doesn't provide a choice of account to send from. :confused:

TIA

Soldato
Just the mobile client. The web client is already all online, so it'll work in a similar way to IMAP anyway.

POP is designed to download the email from the server on to your device which is why when you delete something from a device using POP, it won't disappear on the server. IMAP on the other hand is designed so you effectively just view what's on the server rather than downloading it to your machine.

If you have the Outlook app then it shouldn't be a problem, I would have thought it'd set it up using IMAP or something else rather than POP, unless you specifically chose POP.

Soldato
OP
I've tried adding to outlook web by importing but it's a one time action. I need to set a forwarder to my Hotmail account and when I send from the web it doesn't add to sent items on server.

I think I'll need a better cross platform solution.

Associate
To solve a number of issues I was having I moved to the free (and advert free) version of Zoho mail, configured it to use my business domain. I am not saying that Outlook.com cannot be made to do what you want. But there are other free email solutions out there :)

Soldato
I'd just use Gmail and set up your existing hotmail account up in the accounts section so everything that comes through there goes straight into gmail. If the Inbox app doesn't let you choose which account you send from, just use the normal gmail app which has more functionality.

Moving to gmail will give you true cross platform, I've been on it for years with no problems and instant updates across all devices Android, Apple and Windows.

If you want to stick with Microsoft, then get a 365 business mail account which is around £4 a month.

Caporegime
If it's your business then move to a proper mail provider. Office 365 Business Essentials is £3.10 a month per user.

The advantages include SLAs, and support. And it's not POP.

Soldato
OP
Outlook app for android and iOS is working perfectly, so it's really the desktop and web interface I need. If I subscribe to Office 365 Business Essentials, do I get the Outlook software for PC or is it only the web interface?

Soldato
Business Essentials doesn't include any of the Office applications.

What version of Outlook are you using? You shouldn't need to use POP or IMAP with Outlook.com accounts, 2013+ has native support for these and older versions have a connector you can install to sync your account.

Soldato
OP
I'm not liking Thunderbird. Simple things like saving to sent folder is beyond it apparently.

What's the cost for postbox, and how long does the free trial last? The website doesn't give out that info.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom