• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake of Haswell-E ?

Soldato
Getting rid of my 2nd rig soon and going to use the money from that to fund my new rig which will also be replacing my current rig which is a 4770K which I'll probably end up donating it to a family member.

So, I have my eye on the Sabertooth X99 as it looks sexy as hell, A 5930K for the extra PCI-E lanes over the 5820K and 16GB of Corsair LPX memory.

That OR a Skylake 6700K ?

I'm stuck :p

The reason I ask is I do a lot of video editing as of late, Would X99 be the better choice for that ?

Associate
If your doing 50/50 between gaming and editing, then X99 is the way to go because your editing needs will greatly benefit more from this platform and have very
similar gaming performance to Skylake and perhaps better performance in games that can use the extra cores the X99 processors have compared to Skylake and
of course you will be more future proof because you can upgrade to Broadwell-E at a later date if you choose which will have up to 10 cores and should be a
little bit better performance than Haswell-E clock for clock.

Last edited:
Associate
Going from 4770k to 6700k is utterly pointless, so to me your options should be stick with what you have, or go to x99.

If you're doing video editing, x99 seems to be a logical purchase, but depending on what you are doing, don't forget you will lose quicksync, although of course you can still use CUDA/OpenCL on your GPU.

Soldato
OP
Haha, just realised did OP mean Broadwell-E ? That's what I thought he meant.

No I meant Haswell-E, I'm buying within the next month so I'm not going to ask about something coming out next year :p

*EDIT*

Is it possible to just run 2 sticks of memory on X99 until I get a further 2 sticks ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Awesome thanks peeps, Going to be getting the Sabertooth X99, 5820K and 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz as it's aesthetics goes quite well with the Sabertooths design, I'll add another 16GB around January and swap out the 5820K to the highest non "X" Broadwell-E when that becomes available i.e 6930K or whatever they call it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok well after much debate I've decided to stick to my Haswell build for now and wait until Broadwell-E comes out to buy CPU/Mobo/Memory seeing as Intel will probably be releasing X99-V4 mobos to go along with Broadwell-E.

Soldato
Ok well after much debate I've decided to stick to my Haswell build for now and wait until Broadwell-E comes out to buy CPU/Mobo/Memory seeing as Intel will probably be releasing X99-V4 mobos to go along with Broadwell-E.

The x99 chipset and 2011-3 socket will remain the motherboard foundation for broadwell-e. Intel are not going to release a new chipset and the CPU socket with remain the same like previous generations of Intel's 'e' platform where there second generation cpu's on a smaller manufacturing process were a drop-in upgrade after a bios update. The 'e' platform wont see a new chipset or socket till skylake-e sometime likely now in 2017.

Curiously Intel will be releasing a new chipset for the consumer lineup refresh 'kablake' ala the z87 and z97 chipsets for haswell and its shrink to broadwell.

Back on the subject of x99 though..
given its just a die shrink and given that these have not recently yielded much in the way of performance improvement's I would not be expecting much more from broadwell-e over haswell-e except some power consumption/heat improvements. The main difference will be the lineup having a 10 core CPU at the helm rather than an eight core which is of of little relevance to most people.

The base line broadwell-e cpu replacement for the 5820k will likely have very little if any improvement in overclocked performance with just a mild bump in stock clocks.

Basically don't hold of on buying thinking that broadwell -e will bring something new to the table because it wont unless you really need or want a ten core CPU.

If i had been in the market for a high end pc recently I would have been all over the bundle deal ocuk had over the weekend for x99. You really would have to have your sanity checked if you shelled out for a 6700k setup when this was on offer.....

Associate
I'm holding for skylake, my current config has not let me down and I'm a generation behind you :). Having said that I would most certainly grab the -e variant, more cores and hyperthreading because while I can stand few fps drops while gaming, I hate long waits on running simulations etc...

Back
Top Bottom