[CONTEST] Win a Ticket to our NVIDIA GeForce VR Event!

Soldato
I'd love to see something really inventive and unexpected rather than some of the more low hanging fruit ideas.

So I'm going to go with

FTL

Yes, that flat looking, low budget, 3rd person indie roguelike strategy game. Hear me out!

In the VR Remake, you are surrounded by space and the cosmos, essentially floating in space. You turn around you see the stars and maybe a planet or perhaps you're in a nebula zone where you are surrounded by clouds of stardust.

Combat is played from an isometric view, with the spaceships lying flat in space(instead of angled up on their side 90 degrees like in the normal game), but the ships still have the tops 'cut off' to peer inside and everything is 3d modeled(while still retaining a low-fi aesthetic). Instead of having full view of the enemy ship from the same perspective, it is a bit farther off in the distance to your right. You dont actually get a good close look at it UNLESS you choose to board the ship, in which case you can then switch your view(camera is 'blinked' over for best comfort) once you have actual members aboard. BUT, this comes with a risk. Since you cant view both ships at once, you have to carefully manage these invasions. This makes boarding enemies a bit less overpowered than before. Meanwhile, no matter which ship you're viewing, you can always see the other ship in the distance and it will have HUD elements indicating the specific quarters of the ship and their state. This is how you target certain areas to fire on and also how you keep on eye on what's going on in your own ship should you choose to invade the enemy.

Controls are all done via Vive wands/Touch/Move/whatever. You open and close doors by physically reaching down to them and clicking on them. You give orders to your crew members in the same way, by physically labeling where you want them to go. This allows actual multitasking, as you can be ordering crew around with one hand while also maybe opening/closing doors or even looking over to your right and labeling new attack instructions on the enemy ship, or turning some systems on/off on your ship with your other hand, the headtracking giving you quick-as-you-need camera control over what you want to look at.

All in all, I think combined with another beautifully charming soundtrack, it could be a very immersive, serene and tense way to play this game. Seeing your ship get shot at by the enemy wouldn't be this exchange of tiny little distances like with the normal game. You'd look over and see the enemy firing shots at your ship from a distance, making it all feel a lot more impactful(and vice versa). You'd be physically immersed in the stars and the wonderful atmosphere of the game. And it would present a new type of challenge, not being able to see the specific layout of the enemy ship unless you board it(though you'd still obviously see what general quarters and functions it has).

This might be a bit harder to imagine for others based on my words, but trust me, in my head, I think it all makes a lot of sense and could probably work quite well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom