What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
I had a lovely job today. Haven't used my Camry much at all for the past 6 months due to having a temp job that's right on the bus line (and there's nowhere to park anyway...). Took it out yesterday as I have an interview on Monday and wanted to make sure it would start/run OK. Straight away noticed a terrible smell inside. Put it down to just not being used for a while, and the fact my 4 year old had puked inside the back air vent just before it stopped being used :p Took it for a spin with the windows open and the fans on full to blow the crap out. Got back and noticed some old leaves and stuff in the passenger footwell. A closer inspection revealed mouse poop as well. Then found bit of mouse poop on the back seats and under the drivers seat :mad:

Spent most of the day taking the car apart to get at the ventilation system. Found the nest sitting on top of the (now shredded) cabin air filter. They had gotten into a bag of bird food and had a merry time in my car - poop and sunflower seed husks everywhere. The had made the nest from insulation, but I'm yet to determine if it's from somewhere in the car or the garage.

Think I have the vents all cleaned now, but the smell is still atrocious. I'm going to have to assume they urinated all over the seats/floor as well. So tomorrow I'll be spending the day scrubbing :mad:

Soldato
It's not long been done yeah.

It's a nice car, I've spent money where it matters and it is now a great car for someone who wants one. Think I've spent £2500 on it since I've had it! A nice drive and smooth power delivery... but I just can't fall for it for whatever reason... so going to try something a bit more raucous and agressive for a bit :)

Caporegime
Kerbed an alloy for the first time on my ST . 9 months and 10,500 miles without a mark until now. Parallel parked too close to the kerb this morning and then had no manoeuvre space to get out after work. I was being so so careful but still somehow managed to do it on this high kerb.

Bah :mad:

feels bad man :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Found some spare carbon wrap so did my vents :)

wrap3.jpg

Caporegime
My e39 has decided to play up yet again, despite cam and crank position sensors being replaced along with the MAF sensor and a few breather pipes it's just decided (mid overtake!) to lose power dramatically and light up some warnings....

Decided to bite the bullet and take it to Knights BMW here in Stoke, "Yes sir, we can diagnose it for £65inc per hour - and thereafter during the diagnosis - but not for two weeks"

I wonder if I'd have to wait so long if I was in a nice new f10 rather than my 15yr old e39?

Couldn't help thinking I wouldn't, must admit I'm disappointed by this....

Soldato
My e39 has decided to play up yet again, despite cam and crank position sensors being replaced along with the MAF sensor and a few breather pipes it's just decided (mid overtake!) to lose power dramatically and light up some warnings....

Decided to bite the bullet and take it to Knights BMW here in Stoke, "Yes sir, we can diagnose it for £65inc per hour - and thereafter during the diagnosis - but not for two weeks"

I wonder if I'd have to wait so long if I was in a nice new f10 rather than my 15yr old e39?

You could always fork out for a decent scanner and do it yourself, I think you are fairly handy once you know the problem aren't you?

Man of Honour

That's a fantastic Labour rate for a main dealer.

Man of Honour
Bought myself 12 litres (2x5 litre plus 2x1 litre for free) of 5-40 shell helix for the 911. I normally use mobil 1 0-40 but thought I would give this stuff a go and it was only £52 delivered which seems a bargain.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;28892868 said:
That's a fantastic Labour rate for a main dealer.

Indeed, I was initially surprised by this.

To clarify, it's £65/hr inc for the first hour of diagnosis and thereafter, they thought anything from one to three hours to pin down what's up.

The rate charged to rectify any fault found is £130/hr (!) this does include a courtesy car and valet of mine whilst it's in along with a safety check alas Vaseline not supplied...... :D

Fuzz, yes, relatively handy (changed the cam position sensor myself before) clearly if they diagnose a fault I'll fix it myself if it's doable - I'm a bit limited on tools - but, like they said, it's possible I have an Ecu problem and am possibly chasing "false faults" they warned that's it's not uncommon to have similar such random fault codes stored which turn out to be Ecu problems on four year old f10's never mind 15year old e39's.

The advisors comments seemed genuine, in no way did I feel he was he trying to fob me off as such, nor trying to get me to buy another car!

Having already changed the cam position sensor twice, crank position sensor, steering angle sensor, MAF, throttle body and ABS sensors - all after fault code reading - I'm beginning to suspect the Ecu throwing random faults.

Fwiw, no lights today and thus far today it's driving spot on....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom