PC gaming is back on the high-street!

Soldato
Cool. But they will never sell any games as their prices are lol worthy most of the time.

Then they will probably cry pc gaming is dead/doesn't sell again because they are stuck in their own silly little world of charging £50 for a pc game download key.

Steam is selling rainbow siege for like £50 which doesnt seem likely to sell much. I guess they cant do their sales if legally they never sold it full price, perhaps thats it.
Everyone who activates their key on steam must be giving some profits to valve, thats only way it really makes sense or they'd be losing too much revenue to the competition

Game is not the original game, I think it was bought as a brand by another entity. I know the shareholders got wiped out, Im guessing its basically another company for anyone worried about service way back when

Last edited:
Associate
Tremendous work guys (and gals) - great to see someone investing in a high street presence.

I'll certainly be taking a look next time I'm in a GAME store.
I feel dirty when I go into PeeSee Wurld, but always pleasantly surprised at the range they carry. The price differential between the High Street and online isn;t as much as it used to be, the problem has always been getting hold of the good kit that suppliers like OCUK carry.

Well done again guys. Great news, and just in time for Xmas.... or is that the cynic in me coming out? ;)

Permabanned
Not sure how this'll help PC gaming?

Console gamer walks in: "oooh cool, that runs so much better and smoother and looks nicer than my console, how do I get that?".

Well, you need space, a desk, a mouse, keyboard, you need to research what machine is best for you, you need to spend probably more than a console is going to cost you etc. etc.

Console gamer: "oh, ok. I'll just buy a PS4 then, thanks".

Yes it can show off how much better PC gaming is, but judging from the image in the OP, there isn't anything there that's going to make it easy to get set up with PC gaming?

PC gamer walks in: "oh, OcUK has adverts on the high street now... cool..."

Unless of course GAME plan to stock full OcUK systems and maybe some components?

It will help a lot, I've been tweeting 5UB how that stand could be better because as a marketing platform it isn't very good

Soldato
Good idea. Perhaps feature some more mid-range systems your average i5/970 combo is still superior to your average console system rather than just super expensive high-end systems which does tend to perpetuate the "pc master race" crap that just makes average folk/console kiddies think PC gaming is elitist and out of the average joe's league (and budget)

Associate
Good idea. Perhaps feature some more mid-range systems your average i5/970 combo is still superior to your average console system rather than just super expensive high-end systems which does tend to perpetuate the "pc master race" crap that just makes average folk/console kiddies think PC gaming is elitist and out of the average joe's league (and budget)

Yeah the 'PC Master Race' card is incredibly annoying and childish IMO. I have both PS4 and PC and both get used. It's almost as annoying as AMD/NVIDIA fan boi BS.

Man of Honour

I expect OcUK to realise this, but it is a very important point. A real range of hardware at different price ranges needs to be available to showcase. I understand that this could be a bit of a nightmare to set up in a small store, but it will help inform people of what the lowest entry point is in terms of price, without being left disappointed. I've known a lot of people that are disappointed with their "gaming" PCs, and so put them up for sale. I consistently see low end GPUs in these rigs, and it indicates to me that there's some serious expectation management needed with regards to how cheap a "gaming" PC can get before it is not fit to be named as such.

TL;DR - not only do people need to be educated about a console-beating PC not costing the earth, they also need to be aware that cheaping out on a PC is a one way ticket to disappointsville.

Soldato
It's nice OcUK is doing this to promote PC gaming, hope to see one open around London. I would agree on perhaps displaying cheaper systems, maybe ITX ones? Most console gamers I know comment on size issues as most desktop PCs are significantly larger than a laptop and console. Heck, one even commencted my Lian Li V354B looks a big :p (and I find it small compared to my previous HAF case).

Associate
Bah Brighton shunted again, for a major city we seem to be forgotten by many big retailers. :(
Great to see though - today's kids can see what a real computer looks like :p

Will be interesting to see what the GAME employees are like at tech questions! Hopefully better than B&Q at DIY queries....

OcUK Staff
OP
Does it still come with the Haribo? I'd feel cheated and ripped off if it didn't!

Of course!

That was the first thing we discussed when we spoke to GAME in the introductory board meeting. The stock will be shipped via our warehouse, which has our random generated Haribo packing machine. ;)

Soldato

They've gone for the low to mid-range with the first sweep:
http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/p...bOverclockersPCGaming-_-GamingPCs-_-GamingPCs

A sensible line-up, I reckon. If perhaps missing a gaming cube or two to move a little closer to what console gamers are used to.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
TL;DR - not only do people need to be educated about a console-beating PC not costing the earth, they also need to be aware that cheaping out on a PC is a one way ticket to disappointsville.

all those tickets on the side of the stand which allow people to purchase systems have a useful, easy to read and understand system on there which explains what kind of games the system will run and how well the system will run them :)

Back
Top Bottom