** EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM: CYBER MONDAY 8 PACK ELITE TIER FORUM ONLY DEAL!! **

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Some benchmarks on my drives

First the Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe in the Gigabyte GA-X99 M.2 slot, seems not too shabby

M2 drive motherboard.png]

But then I put it in the Asus Hyper m2 Mini Adaptor thing, I used PCIe slot 3. These results are really nice :eek:

M2 Adaptor.png]

By way of comparison, my standard Crucial CT512 MX100 SSD in a SATA 6 slot:

Crucial SSD.png]

NB nothing is yet overclocked, Windows 10, I had to disable antivirus as that interfered a lot.

Soldato

First the Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe in the Gigabyte GA-X99 M.2 slot, seems not too shabby

But then I put it in the Asus Hyper m2 Mini Adaptor thing, I used PCIe slot 3. These results are really nice :eek:

M2 Adaptor.png]

Crucial SSD.png]

NB nothing is yet overclocked, Windows 10, I had to disable antivirus as that interfered a lot.

can you run a AS SSD test for me ? please :p

Soldato
That software is throwing out terrible results. It must be borked. I've given up on it
Seq read 1929 MB/s, Write 26.23 MB/s
4k (incomplete after 5 minutes) 0.92 MB/s
This is on the adaptor card.

Same. I wonder if it's a software side issue or hardware (faulty batch of m.2) because I was getting full speed on AS SSD earlier no longer the case. Anyone else?

Soldato

M2 Adaptor.png]

Crucial SSD.png]

Ooo, interesting results, sounds like I need to move my Hiper to PCI-e slot 3, in slot 2 I'm getting spikes of 700MB/sec tops!

I was about to moan that these Hiper adapters might need the optional ~£20 "Asus Hyper kit" connected to do speeds the SSD is capable of.

Soldato
Well I've changed to PCI-e slot 3 (one closest the PSU) and the HDTune speeds are still ~600-700MB/sec.

Is it HDTune 2.55?
Is software/firmware/ NVMe drivers needed?
A BIOS setting or two?

Confused.com

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I dunno

I did update the motherboard BIOS to the current version on the Gigabyte site: F2f. But BIOS is then set to the defaults (edit - I may have set the PCIe slots to Gen 3, not auto). Not tried overclocks yet.

I have installed all current motherboard drivers downloaded from the Gigabyte site, for Windows 10 - Chipset INF and Management, Lan bigfoot, Audio Creative, SATA/RAID Rapid storage (albeit I'm not using RAID so haven't done the preinstall driver http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5281&dl=1&RWD=0#driver

There weren't any drivers for the Asus Card.

I've done nothing to the Samsung Drive

Windows 10 was installed, new rather than upgrade, from a USB3 drive - UEFI version install at boot.

Last edited:
Soldato
Again I think with the i7-5820K the lane allocation is.

PCIE_1 = 16
PCIE_2 = 8
PCIE_3 = 4

PCIE_4 shares with PCIE_1

Download GPU-Z and half way down on the right look in the Bus Interface window for the PCIE lanes being used. Should be 16 for the GPU with the adapter in PCIE_2.

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed on my 980 Ti it was saying x16 v1.1. If you click on the ? next to the panel there's an option to run a render to negate any power saving and it then switches to x16 v3.0

I think this part of the problem with NVMe as the native drivers can fall foul of power saving modes and the performance reduces but doesn't necessarily re-enable.

Associate
hmmm strange things occurring here :(

Installed the M" drive into the Asus adaptor no problem , booted system and black screen after initial Gigabyte screen ... tried to access the BIOS , nothing just black screen , so tried F12 and was able to choose the card as boot device and booted into windows fine.

So after a few attempts at reboots and trying to get into the BIOS no joy , had to upgrade the BIOS to the latest beta and everything is fine can now get into BIOS ... BUT ... yes there is a but , the overclock even @4.1Ghz has become flaky

Any ideas ? would the Asus adaptor effect overclock stability ?

Back
Top Bottom