** EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM: CYBER MONDAY 8 PACK ELITE TIER FORUM ONLY DEAL!! **

Associate
Just followed the original 8 pack guide for OC settings.

Set to 4.375 GHz @ 1.28V and was playing ARK: Survival Evolved which is a horrible game for frame rate and it was playable & stable.

My Asus HBA is in PCIE_2.

Have the Asus in PCIE-3 if that makes any difference ... got the 4.1Ghz back but needed more volts , will try for 4.2 again which I had before , might need a little extra juice but temps are not a problem so far and wont go ott on the extra

EDIT - just noticed on the original 8Pack thread someone else had the same issue of not being able to access the BIOS when the Asus card is installed on the original BIOS . good to know I am not alone in that , now to figure out why the overclock needs more volts than originally

Last edited:
Soldato
If you install the App Center + Fast boot util there's a button to "Enter the BIOS now" maybe that will help get in the BIOS automatically.

Just been playing a bit more before going to work.

I set the Core voltage to 1.250 @4.375 GHz nothing crashed but Firestrike reported time instability so I've gone back up to 1.275 to test again.

On a more random observation. My previous i5-3570K clocked at a similar 4.4 GHZ ran in the 40s and typically used ~400W peak power when gaming. The i7-5830K is running in the 50s and is drawing ~490W peak under similar conditions so not unreasonable for the extra grunt.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had that once when I didn't have enough CPU voltage for the GHz I was aiming for.

I've basically only tried 8packs settings though.

If it really won't OC at all then try re-flashing the BIOS, maybe try the RAM at 2133MHz, re-seating the CPU, reapply the heat paste etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had that once when I didn't have enough CPU voltage for the GHz I was aiming for.

I've basically only tried 8packs settings though.

If it really won't OC at all then try re-flashing the BIOS, maybe try the RAM at 2333MHz, re-seating the CPU, reapply the heat paste etc.

Got it working. Just had a fresh start this morning and went through the guide again.

Thanks.

Associate
Someone was asking about the sound quality of the board.
I found this at bit-tech's review;
Finally, we get to the audio numbers and we have to say they we thought something was wrong here. The results are practically off the chart and akin to a decent discrete sound card. All three of our RightMark benchmarks pointed at a highly capable audio processor - in fact, the results were so impressive that we reinstalled Windows and tried various different settings to check our results weren't flawed. This isn't totally unsurprising, though; while both of Gigabyte's previous X99 efforts we've looked at were medeocre when it came to audio, the GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 still holds the top spot for overall audio performance in our Z97-based testing.

Associate
The onboard audio on this board is effectively the Creative Sounblaster Recon 3D, the difference being that there's the ability to upgrade the op-amp chip.

Compared to the Sounblaster Z I've been using, I can tell the difference but it really is very good. Unless I encounter some major issues, the Z will be going into a home theatre unit.

Associate
The onboard audio on this board is effectively the Creative Sounblaster Recon 3D, the difference being that there's the ability to upgrade the op-amp chip.

Compared to the Sounblaster Z I've been using, I can tell the difference but it really is very good. Unless I encounter some major issues, the Z will be going into a home theatre unit.

Will agree 100% Sound is the best I'm ever come across for onboard, albeit was only using a X-Fi Titanium HD previously, I still find this much better and it drives headphones superbly too.

Caporegime
Just had a bit of a scare with a BSOD but I don't think it is the overclock as it is entirely reproducible.

If I open Hardware Monitor and then close it whilst it is opening up ( before the information displays) it crashes the PC.

I have tried this 3 times after the first time and everytime = BSOD.

Would anyone else using windows 10 mind trying this out to put my mind at rest? :p I am pretty sure it is just a quirk of the program. I remember when using a certain version of cpuz on windows 8 that caused a system freeze without fail until they updated it.

Associate
Interesting that you mention CPU-Z. Apart from the occaisional restart hang, the only crashes I've had came from trying to run the G1 Gaming-skinned version of CPU-Z. I'm running 8.1 BTW.

Caporegime
I know hardware monitoring programs can be funny with freezes/hangs as they try and access low level sensors and what not.

I am pretty certain that seen as it is completely reproducible, it must be a program issue.

Caporegime
anyone know what I'm doing wrong please?

Went through 8packs settings and keep getting this. I go back to stock and it works perfectly.

thanks

http://imageshack.com/a/img907/5879/K6o6Qy.jpg

I just got this this morning after it working fine for a good few days without issue. Saved the settings again and all fine again.

Very odd : /

I'm using 8 Pack's recommended settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
i dont think my cpu is stable at 4.125 ether ive had the cpu running at 4.125 for a few days but i kept getting crashes, but from today my pc wont boot unless i go back to stock speeds. who do i need to contact about this? i am also using 8 packs settings

OcUK Staff
I just got this this morning after it working fine for a good few days without issue. Saved the settings again and all fine again.

Very odd : /

I'm using 8 Pack's recommended settings.

Slight vcore increase should be fine to stoo this or could be mem training issue only. If u have to restart with OC setting and its stable then its simple cold boot.

Associate
Slight vcore increase should be fine to stoo this or could be mem training issue only. If u have to restart with OC setting and its stable then its simple cold boot.

thanks for the reply 8 pack wasnt expecting one of you guys to be here on xmas day top notch customer service :)

i have notice a change in my bios setting the processor base clock gear ratio is 1.00x on my cpu where as yours in the pictures is 1.25x im 99% sure that i was running at 1.25x when i first done the overclock

is there a way for me to change this? as it is greyed out.

also what is a safe voltage on the vcore?

thanks again for the reply

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Vcore 1.3 fine.

You need to be on 1.25 this is for sure as native 3000mhz divider is 1.25. It can't work well on 1.0.

Default the BIOS. Set XMP first then save this setting. Reboot and make the other changes.

Back
Top Bottom