How did you find your job?

Man of Honour
1974: Joined the Navy but only lasted a month because ...........
1974: Became a Michelin Tyre Company Apprentice which was a proper Apprenticeship unlike the ones today.
1978: Finished Apprenticeship and they said my Certificate wiould get me a job instantly with another Engineering company so decided to test the theory and was taken on by a Gear making Company.
1980: Made redundant, went down the dole, sent to Creda/Hotpoint who gave me a job immediately.
2007: Made redundant went to work at a Juvenile Prison in the Education Block who just took me on.
2008: Did a bit of Volunteer work at the Hospital and they ended up giving me a job working with 100x 14 to 16 year old girls.
2010: Was asked to go and work in the job I'm doing now which is all to do with Clinical Negligence, Inquest and Personal Injuries.
I basically fell into jobs.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
OP
Only had 1 job which is working for customer service at Npower
Got it after 2 years of searching for ANYTHING after finishing university.
Lasted 1 year and 5 months before I had to leave for my sanity sake, was getting to the point where I just wanted to shout down the phone for customers to just shut up and stop complaining about nothing. I got anoyyed plenty of times with people where I had to hand them to someone else and get of the phone for a few min just process the stupidity I just had to deal with. I don't like talking to people in the first place but it was the first interview I had that said yes.
Been unemployed for 4+months now, searching for something else, its a slow process, I just know I refuse to talk to people as I just can't handle it which doesn't make options very broad.

What area do you live in?

Whilst you have my sympathy you really need to address this. I sincerely suggest you give this a read and start trying to help yourself. FWIW, I did some call centre work for a bit at 16 (cold calling) and it gave me anxiety about phoning strangers for a good while after. It does get better but you have to work at it.

Soldato
1.> 1997 Started out as an apprentice welder on £1.30 an hour.. (£50 a week) as I failed at school

2.> 1999 Quit welding, went to College did electronics, and worked for free in their IT department whilst doing factory work and working in kitchens

3.> Ended up in the same job, but managed to convince them to pay me, (min wage)

4.> decided I loved networks, did a CCNA (this was 2001)

5.> Immediatley got hired by a big systems integrator, did that for a few years,

6.> Worked for a network security company / firewalls etc, for a year

7.> 2005 Worked for a big university as a network admin

8.> 2007 Worked for a big ISP (Did a CCIE)

9.> 2012 went to another big ISP

10.> 2013 went to a large consultancy (working for ISPs)

11.> 2015 currently consulting for a big systems integrator (all ISP)

From £1.30 an hour to nearly six figures, it's taken a while - not bad for a dim kid who got expelled and almost spent my life welding lol, :D

Caporegime
Current job came from a recruiter who was advertising a different position on Indeed that I applied for. Prior to that I've worked for friends and also been approached with an offer.

First job was done the old fashioned way - turning up and asking.

Soldato
My first 3 jobs all came about because I had friends that worked there and they told me that the company was recruiting, they were all terrible jobs that I took just to have some money whilst studying.

I work within the NHS now and I started off paying pharmacists for prescriptions, pricing up drugs they had given out and making sure the pharmacists were reimbursed for them, basic data entry stuff really.

I made a couple of simple workbooks with some pretty simple macros to make my job easier and management liked what I made, I had an interview with the IT guys and now I'm a full time developer there.

Soldato
First one advertised through Uni. Second one popped up on a job advert site. I needed to live in London and the job was really good so it was a double win. Third one found me, I was hunted for it and now work in London so it made the move really easy.

img

img

Associate
Put cv on monster, jobsite etc. Refresh each Sunday as recruiters look for new ones. Got call had interview. Same last few jobs. Work in it if helps

Caporegime
By posting a thread here in GD moaning about not being shortlisted for interviews :D.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18633288

bit random - you seemed to want to get a creative role then ended up at an online retailer? Do you take the pictures for the website, help with design or something?

Quite a good way of getting employment all the same, complain on forum about job hunting, get offered a job :)

Soldato
1st job as a student. I worked at, ASDA. Got a form from the customer service desk and posted it back.

2nd job. Went to local agency.

3rd job. I moved from, assembly to engineering within the same company as job 2. I approached the MD of the engineering dept during my lunchbreak with my CV.

4th job. Met the director of a company when outsourcing work during job 3. When my job was facing redundancy I reached out to him.

5th job. Jobcentre website.

6th job. Agency contacted me.

7th job. This job was while on jobseekers through their forced labour scheme.

8th job. Worked for, Royal Mail. Applied via website.

9th and current job. Applied via universal jobmatch for a stores role and got propositioned to work in the workshop instead due to my experience and between me applying and them contacting me back someone in that department had left so the job wasn't even advertised. And I already have 2 leads to go on when I choose when and if I leave this job. One lead is from the operations manager that recently left(he employed me into this job).

Associate
got my job by helping a child what fell down and cut his arm... manager came up and said thanks and if was there anything i could do, my reply was give me a job, been working there for 16 month.

Soldato
First summer job - computer tech at a school. First year of uni - gave me enough money to buy my first windsurfing board and sail (Fanatic Ultra Ram & Tigra 5.5m sail!)

First job out of uni.. was applying to jobs in the newspapers (100s).. paper letters and CVs filling up the mail box each day.. then had interview, another job appeared and had an interview but on the train on the way down I was reading the offer from the first..
I took the first as it offered a wider more professional experience in a global context. The second was interesting because it was a small firm and the interviewing woman had the hots for me (part of the reason I decided against it - although it could have proved fun but not for my career).

I moved around internally within the company, and the company then sold off it's product wing.. eventually after a long (12 years) I was redundant.. then simply applied via monster etc, interviewed in the morning had the job by the afternoon for a contract 1.5 years of contracting.. then applied again (IIRC cwjobs) for another role - got that and jumped straight to the next company after an interview and spent the next 4 years.. including being acquired and moving roles internally.. result was then made redundant due to restructuring. Been looking for work now for about a year.. although a sabbatical project for 6 months and then actively looking for less time. Had a range of interviews but too senior for some, too junior for others (experience)... last interview process took 19 weeks from start to end with 3 phone interviews and 3 face-to-face interviews including exec chief product officer - but got pipped in the last call down to less experience than the other guy. The other interview that springs to mind is one that the interviewing pair were drinking Bulmers Cider (friday afternoon).

Last edited:
Soldato
1st job - Uni placement - applied via email and got the job a week later!

2nd job - (Teaching) Applied through online advert, only had 1 interview from the many CV's - Got the job!

3rd job - (Teaching but Head of Dept) Applied through online advert, had interview, got the job!

Teaching - tough job. Both my parents are retired physics teachers. I voted never to go down that path, although I an the natural ability to stand in front of lots of people and talk!

Soldato
Was looking for a design job whilst at Uni and a friend asked me to join his small web dev business. Ended up being made redundant from that and got the next one direct from the employer (no recruiter). Third job I got through a friend and current one through a recruiter who prepared everyone really badly for the interviews but thankfully we all got through!

Soldato
After a few years fostering and not working in the normal sense, I was working in a call centre (found through indeed website) for a bit and applied via an agency for a temporary quality and technical role. It lasted three months. A year later, whilst working somewhere else (contacted old employer directly for that job) I got a call from the manager asking me to apply. I did and obviously got the job, and at 5k more than the asking and with a bit of overtime have more than doubled my old temp salary, which is nice.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
A mate told me they were taking on, & I used to work for them years ago so I popped along for a chat, boss remembered me so I got the job, all very informal & word of mouth, also a damn good reminder of why it's a good idea to not burn any bridges when you move on. ;)

Soldato
Job before last I applied to from their website, current one I had a recruiter put me forward for, and I'm just about to change to one that I got contacted by a recruiter for, one interview and I was told I was the only person in the running

Soldato
First Job went in to hand a CV, came out with a trial the following thursday, it was a fish and chip shop, worst job ever. Got a new job after 4 weeks, that was at a bar through a friend of a family, then a week after that I got a job at a co-op by handing my CV in and an interview.

Kept both the Bar and co-op till uni now I'm jobless and loving it :p

Back
Top Bottom