Sky Fibre Optic

Associate
I was wondering about this myself - upgrading to Fibre Pro as even 40Mbits is now starting to seem slow to me on downloads :rolleyes:

What speed do you have to reach for the upgrade to be deemed successful? Is there a minimum amount you are supposed to get with Fibre Pro?

@Martytoon - Are you on the white SR101 and BT modem combo then? And they've now sold you the black SR102?

Yes, I'm currently SR101/BTO Modem combo, with the SR102 on its way.

Before I signed up they did a test and said I can get 67-80, but 57 would be minimum. I'm assuming that if I don't get to the 57 I can cancel and go back to the 40/10 package.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, ive never been on O2 mobile, im on vodafone.

I think ive found a workaround, when the tab at the top changes to show the inbox, as though its loading, but doesn't, if i cancel it after a bit, i get a blank white page, so if i then right-click and reload, the inbox loads straight away, so im in :)

EDIT: Well thats odd, as its now loading fine, without having to do any of that, just takes about 20 seconds or so :p

Last edited:
Associate
I upgraded to Fibre Pro a week last Friday and after an initial increase in speed to around 44/12 within the first couple of days I saw no further change. Phoned Sky at the weekend who did a line check that didn't reveal any faults but said I needed to wait 10 days to allow DLM to do its thing.

Roll clock forward to today and a further call to Sky as there's been no change in speed. First Agent does a line check and the usual re-check from the test socket. This doesn't show anything up, so I get passed on to another guy who tells me that I probably need to replace the HUB (SR101) which I reckon is only 18 months old. This is going to cost £70 + £7 delivery. After a bit of haggling I get this reduced to £30 and a full refund if it doesn't solve the line speed issue.

In the past, and on the few occasions I've needed to get support from Sky they've always been helpful but it seems that the default position is now to sell some new equipment, and unless you accept it appears impossible to progress the call. I'm not sure how much trouble shooting can be done remotely but wasn't even asked to reboot the Openreach Modem.Anyway, guess I'm just having a moan, will wait and see what happens when the new hub arrives next week.

Thought I'd give an update on this:-

New Sky modem arrived last week. Made no difference to speeds, still syncing around 45.

Openreach Engineer came on Monday, couldn't identify reason for low sync given proximity to cabinet.

Today, second visit from Openreach. Really nice bloke, was here from 8am and left at 11.30. Seems to have tried everything but no increase in speed. He reckons could be some aluminium in the wiring which is not uncommon in my area. Ah well, that's life I guess.

Anyway, my line can only support 45, so am now trying to downgrade back to the standard fibre product. (which is what I was on 3 week ago). However, Sky are currently insisting that I sign up for a new 12 month contract - they seem to be treating it as a new order which I guess it technically is - but not offering any new order discounts. They are also saying I cannot back out of the 12 month contract on phone rental. However, this was offered as part of the deal for fibre pro and as I cannot obtain this product surely all bets are off? Unfortunately I had to take a call from work so I need to ring Sky back and start the whole process again.

Caporegime
I wouldn't be having that at all. I know Ofcom guarantee you can get out of your new contract by the minimum speed clause but I'm not sure what happens if you do that and go back to your old product. It's a bit naughty of Sky.

I'd tell them to bugger off and say you'll go to a new ISP if you don't get your old contract reinstated without any minimum term.

Man of Honour
I'm tempted to switch to Zen Internet. Same price as Sky I think and no faffing about. I shouldn't have to be calling up whenever a deal runs out to get a better one.

Caporegime
Thought I'd give an update on this:-

New Sky modem arrived last week. Made no difference to speeds, still syncing around 45.

Openreach Engineer came on Monday, couldn't identify reason for low sync given proximity to cabinet.

Today, second visit from Openreach. Really nice bloke, was here from 8am and left at 11.30. Seems to have tried everything but no increase in speed. He reckons could be some aluminium in the wiring which is not uncommon in my area. Ah well, that's life I guess.

Anyway, my line can only support 45, so am now trying to downgrade back to the standard fibre product. (which is what I was on 3 week ago). However, Sky are currently insisting that I sign up for a new 12 month contract - they seem to be treating it as a new order which I guess it technically is - but not offering any new order discounts. They are also saying I cannot back out of the 12 month contract on phone rental. However, this was offered as part of the deal for fibre pro and as I cannot obtain this product surely all bets are off? Unfortunately I had to take a call from work so I need to ring Sky back and start the whole process again.

If you get no joy can you trust message me your details Please Marty?

Associate
I was going to cancel sky last week , i was paying £38pm for sky fibre and line rental.
Got our lass on phone to them.. 20 minutes later was getting fibre , variety pack and line rental for £27.60 .. so ten pounds less for free tv :)

That sounds pretty decent :)

In contrast I have been in a Fibre Pro and line rental contract since August with a £10 discount on the broadband equating to £37.40 pm. With the December price increase for the Evening and Weekends call plan, Retentions were only willing to offer it to me for half price at an extra £2 pm.

Associate
So was it aluminium on the line somewhere?

I'm not sure. Sorry, when I said sorted I meant I downgraded back to the 40/10 product.

Openreach have said they have gone as far as they can. The Engineer did say that if there were a few of us in the street with the same problem that may prompt another look but ultimately if it is an aluminium issue its highly unlikely that they will be relaying cable given that we can get a good 40/10 service. Hope this makes sense!

A bit disappointing due to the various demands for bandwidth in the house, but I did start my online career at 1200 bit/s so need to keep a sense of perspective :D

Caporegime
Does anyone know how (if you can) force the Sky hub to get a new IP address? I tried rebooting it but it leased the same one as I had before. I need to see if I have been blocked by IP at a website. Ta.

Caporegime
Because the DSLAM is at the cabinet there are a lot 'less' IP addresses capable of being given out. Try leaving it off overnight.

I would have assumed that the IP addresses were allocated by Sky's RADIUS servers so the location of the DSLAM wouldn't affect IP allocation.

Caporegime
In which case if you're being assigned the same IP it's likely no other customer/router is requesting one during the time you've switched it off and on again. leave it off overnight and you should get a new one.

Associate
Signed up to Fibre Pro, best deal I could get was £20 per month + Line rental
Suprisingly could'nt get any discount on line rental even as a new customer. Expected half price for 12 months to be a given, but it's £17.40 off the bat. They would not budge.

Go live 2nd Feb, was told maxium of 2 weeks, but no big deal, time flys.

My first time on Fibre, cabinet went live just yesterday, after being on an exchange only line :) They finaly moved us out into the road :D

Soldato
Does anyone know how (if you can) force the Sky hub to get a new IP address? I tried rebooting it but it leased the same one as I had before. I need to see if I have been blocked by IP at a website. Ta.

Why not use a VPN, TOR or a proxy or your mobile via its data plan and know in seconds?

Back
Top Bottom