Anyone ever used teeth whitening kits?

Soldato
OP
well, give me evidence that science proves otherwise .

Well simply when was the last time anyone got their teeth regrown rather than filled?

There's only one way so far which is a kind of gel that creates a lattice which is then filled with calcium but it's only to repair not regrow.

Can you give me any evidence bicarbonate soda does the same? Something that is commonly used as an abrasive isn't normally known to rebuild things. It is a cleaner though.

Last edited:
Soldato
sorry but he's right - when enamel goes its gone for good. Teeth cannot repair the outside of themselves, its impossible - by what possible physical mechanism could this occur scientifically???

I'm more than willing to take on board a different point of view or fact, BUT, i need more than personal opinion. any studies you can reference me ?

Soldato
Something that is commonly used as an abrasive isn't normally known to rebuild things. It is a cleaner though.
you got me all wrong, i'm not supporting bicarb as a mineral grower , only as a cleaner . i never said that at all. that is why i said only use bicarb once a week, BECAUSE it might degrade enamel

Soldato
OP
Ooo I completely misread you sorry. I thought you were claim sodium bicarbonate could regrow the enamel sorry.

Remineralisation is different to regaining enamel though. Iirc teeth are quite porus when it's lacking minerals the "pores" become larger allowing decay to set in more rapidly. However as far as I'm aware there's little that isn't done already that supplements such a process.

Soldato
I'm more than willing to take on board a different point of view or fact, BUT, i need more than personal opinion. any studies you can reference me ?

our saliva remineralises our teeth through the liquids we consume like water, tea . not soft water though.

ok, done a quick bit of research and there appears to be a very small amount of evidence that re-mineralisation occurs and is aided by fluoride.
Its pretty weak though and the original research always associated with companies that make those types of products - always a dubious sign.

i'm prepared to believe that the teeth are constantly under going a mineral exchange in the saliva but not that any significant damage could naturally be repaired via this mechanism.

i really wouldn't used sodium bicarbonate though - its extremely abrasive and can cause major problems. Its an old model trick (brushing with the powder) and it eventually lead to irreparable damage.

Soldato
Whatever happened to that ultrasound/electric pulse idea of regrowing enamel from few years back, load of twaddle was it?

Soldato
ok, done a quick bit of research and there appears to be a very small amount of evidence that re-mineralisation occurs and is aided by fluoride.
Its pretty weak though and the original research always associated with companies that make those types of products - always a dubious sign.

i'm prepared to believe that the teeth are constantly under going a mineral exchange in the saliva but not that any significant damage could naturally be repaired via this mechanism.

i really wouldn't used sodium bicarbonate though - its extremely abrasive and can cause major problems. Its an old model trick (brushing with the powder) and it eventually lead to irreparable damage.

you could be right, I'm willing to believe what you say, but i'm not convinced . you mentioned fluoride , there are two types. calcium fluoride and sodium fluoride, the latter being a industrial waste, man made , and extremely toxic, the other ( calcium fluoride ) occurs naturally , not toxic . i say , this kind of calcium is the one that most benefits our teeth , sodium fluoride is the most found in toothpaste, it's an industrial waste metal that the powers that be agreed to allow companies to put it into our food and water supply. sodium fluoride is extremely toxic to humans.

so when i said we could re mineralise our teeth with water and tea , the type of calcium from water and tea, is calcium fluoride , the natural non toxic type of fluoride.

Soldato
Occasionally people post tremendous amounts of utter gubbins on these forums.
It starts with little knowledge and limited ability to understand, then they read something which gives them an idea, and still they fail to understand.
Teeth are in a constant state of deminerisation and remineralisation.
This occurs as a type of ion exchange, when teeth, in the oral environment are bathed in saliva, an ion containing fluid.
The balance can be tipped in either direction.

The previous poster made some reference to calcium fluroide being good, and sodium fluoride being poison. Nice distortion of reality.
In saliva, an ion, be it calcium, fluoride, sodium, or anything else doesn't care where it came from, it is an ion, just that.

If you bathe your teeth in acids, you will directly weaken them.
Some bacteria in the mouth, when they process sugar, will make acids.
This weakens teeth.

Saliva naturally contains ions which in balance will be reuptaken into the teeth surface. This happens over time, and strengthens teeth.
A previous poster said something in reference to teeth being porous and the effect being below the surface, this isn't a bad way to think about.
If you weaken under the surface enough, then a cavity will form, think sinkhole formation, only way to fix it, is to have the tooth filled.

If you stop the acid production, stopping the sugars, then you slow the rate of damage. If you allow the saliva to reminerisate, it can stop a cavity formation.

Fluoride, from whatever source, if present at certain concentrations, will be locally uptaken into weakened enamel, it forms a calicum combined structure, which is stronger than the original hydroxyapipite crystaline structure which teeth are composed of.

This is why topical fluoride in toothpaste is good.
Swallowing toothpaste is not good.
This is why tubes say not to swallow it.

Associate
crest whitestrips work, agree some salivating but you notice after a week in as much if you have any caps they looks distinctly yellower where before they were designed to match. I used them and got many comments to the good even though I was always wary of my teeth being unsightly
Crest 3D White Luxe Whitestrips Whitening Professional Effects.

Soldato
OP
It is extremely toxic if you were an average male you'd only need to eat about 27 tubes of colgates total whiteness toothpaste to die :eek:. I mean you could do that accidently.

You breath in much worse stuff from car pollution it's highly unlikely to do you any damage unless you either are sensitive to it or like eating toothpaste.

Soldato
you could be right, I'm willing to believe what you say, but i'm not convinced . you mentioned fluoride , there are two types. calcium fluoride and sodium fluoride, the latter being a industrial waste, man made , and extremely toxic, the other ( calcium fluoride ) occurs naturally , not toxic . i say , this kind of calcium is the one that most benefits our teeth , sodium fluoride is the most found in toothpaste, it's an industrial waste metal that the powers that be agreed to allow companies to put it into our food and water supply. sodium fluoride is extremely toxic to humans.

so when i said we could re mineralise our teeth with water and tea , the type of calcium from water and tea, is calcium fluoride , the natural non toxic type of fluoride.

well, as a chemist i can tell you that you are definitely wrong in this case.
there is no difference between calcium and sodium fluoride - both dissociate in water to give the fluoride anion and the corresponding sodium or calcium cation.
Both are toxic in large amounts and harmless in small amounts - there is no difference between them and anything that says otherwise is one of those conspiracy BS idiots (i am assuming you are not one of those and just read it somewhere!) ;)

Soldato
I am assuming he has absolutely no understanding of what he is posting, and instead posts things as if they were fact.

As a chemist, you will understand solutions.
Teeth demineralise and remineralise dpending upon the solution they are in.
If they lose enough mineral, the crystalline matrix loses its intregity and you get a cavity. Stop it in time, and subsurface remineralisation can occur.
Some crystaline forms are more acid resistant than others.
Fluroide incorporation into the matrix helps this acid resistance.

Soldato
As a chemist, you will understand solutions.
Teeth demineralise and remineralise dpending upon the solution they are in.
If they lose enough mineral, the crystalline matrix loses its intregity and you get a cavity. Stop it in time, and subsurface remineralisation can occur.
Some crystaline forms are more acid resistant than others.
Fluroide incorporation into the matrix helps this acid resistance.

yeah its quite interesting, i hadn't really though about it before.
I'm curious as to how stable the hydroxylapatite is in neutral conditions and whether it dissolves slowly, exchanges/loses ions or even hydrolyses.

Inorganic chemistry always was pretty boring though :)

Soldato
Standard saliva environment is alkaline.
I believe the critical pH is around 5.5 or so.
Faster you buffer and get back up above it there better, microenvironment withstanding.

Back
Top Bottom