** OUR SECOND 8 PACK APPROVED OC BUNDLE: OVERCLOCKED, DISCOUNTED, ELITE TIER VERY FAST!! **

Soldato
did anyone try benchmarking temps between the stock heat sink gunk on the cooler and the good stuff supplied? if so what was the difference in temps?

thanks.

I've just come back to my pc after doing a few chores for ~90mins or so, idle temps were in the 21-23C range when I returned, using the stock compound.

I used the stock compound because...
I didn't have anything suitable to clean the pre-applied compound off
The pre-applied stuff was a nice thin layer covering most of the contact surface
I have very little experience at applying compound, last time was ~8 years ago
I just wanted to get the system up and running with as little stress as possible!

Edit: After ~20mins of hotlapping in Project CARS, highest CPU temp I saw was 42C, but it was only ~35% overall use of the 6 cores.

Last edited:
Associate
512 M2.SSD

Stuck M2.SSD in the mobo as per mobo instructions, struggling to get anything close to the speeds it should get. Feels like something is holding the kit back.

Do I need to buy a dedicated controller for the speeds or maybe I screwed
something up in the bios? Have one other 5TB WD Red in the Sata Express port, other than that, pretty much as purchased in the package.

Overclocks working a treat. Fantastic guide. Cheers!

Soldato
^^^ You'll have to read the manual to see how the SATA Express ports and M.2 interact as on most boards one of the SE shares lanes with the M.2 and should disable one or the other.

I've seen 800 MB/s sequential read from the M.2 port with a 128GB SM951 drive. I've ordered a 2nd HBA to move that drive to a PCIE slot. That was using Crystal Disk mark.

I think I posted in the early bird thread that there is a write back policy option in Device Manager that may help write speeds from degrading when power saving gets triggered.

Last edited:
Soldato
did anyone try benchmarking temps between the stock heat sink gunk on the cooler and the good stuff supplied? if so what was the difference in temps?

thanks.

I didn't think I would actually see a significant enough change to be worth posting but I reckon this is clear enough to give the Grizzly a thumbs up.

Anyway I initially went with the stock TIM (paste) just in case I ended up removing the cooler repeatedly. I got a general idea of how hot the temps were when bench marking with the AIDI64 CPU stress test.

With both the standard TIM and then the first attempt at adding the Grizzly, which I messed trying to spread. The temps would go to high 60s with the odd jump to 71. The fan speed on the CPU rad would go straight to 1550 RPM (I have SP120s plus resistors) and stay there for the duration of the stress test.

This evening I cleaned off the Grizzly and reapplied it in a somewhat rectangular rice size blob to match the shape of the cores under the IHS. Then relied on the clamping force and heat cycles to spread the TIM.

Here's the result after giving it some time to settle.

So that's now temps hovering around the 55 DegC average with the odd spike to 61. However even more noticeable was the CPU fan RPM went to ~1200 RPM and crept up to ~1390 RPM and stayed there for the rest of the run.

So a twofold gain as it turns out.

Last edited:

Asa

Asa

Associate
I have got mine all set up and working fine but haven't done any overclocking yet but would be very dissatisfied with that seen as the 4.12ghz and 3000mhz mem clock is guaranteed ( and i would have thought pretty conservative).

Will start to clock it in the coming days so hopefully dont run into the problems you are having. I thought the OC1 was a gimme.

3000Mhz is instant failure for me. 2733 boots but it a bit unstable. Down to 2500Mhz now.

That's a bit disappointing, but I can't be dealing with the hassle and delay of RMA when realistically I probably won't notice the difference.

More annoyed by the awful sp/dif sound and constant need to uninstall/reinstall the LAN driver. Those are hard not to notice.

Associate
Finally got my kit delivered today.
Not had time to assemble anything yet, probably wait till the weekend.
Amazing how small the M2 ssd is.

Only slight problem is that I didn't get any fan screws.
Can anybody tell me what they are and I'll pick some up

Associate
Cold boot issue remains for me , overclock is stable and runs fine all day , power off @ wall socket over night and system & overclock is unstable the next day and requires fiddling with BIOS defaults and setting up overclock again.
Seems it likes more volts on the core when cold :(

Soldato
Cold boot issue remains for me , overclock is stable and runs fine all day , power off @ wall socket over night and system & overclock is unstable the next day and requires fiddling with BIOS defaults and setting up overclock again.
Seems it likes more volts on the core when cold :(

i was getting this issue too... i have yet to make the computer crash but every time on cold boot i was getting boot failure.

as 8 pack said, for me the answer was fiddling with the memory. i do need to go back to it however as right now my memory is running slower than its rated speed which i am not really happy about.

but, if i were you i would be looking at memory timings over cpu voltages etc 1st..

it has been a long time since doing electronics at school, however iirc the resistances etc on a cold cpu (any circuit) are actually lower than on a hot one, therefore in theory it should run BETTER when cold, not worse so my total guess is that it is just some memory check the mobo is doing on cold boot which it is failing on for what ever reason, even tho it is rock stable once actually booted up.

Last edited:
Soldato
3000Mhz is instant failure for me. 2733 boots but it a bit unstable. Down to 2500Mhz now.

That's a bit disappointing, but I can't be dealing with the hassle and delay of RMA when realistically I probably won't notice the difference.

More annoyed by the awful sp/dif sound and constant need to uninstall/reinstall the LAN driver. Those are hard not to notice.

It's hassle but I'd be tempted to take the system board out of the case temporarily or swap the PSU. Easy for me to suggest though as I usually have spares lying around.

Soldato
At stock settings (optimised defaults), I'm sometimes getting a complete system lockup, but I cannot reproduce steps to make it happen at will.

This morning I had one such event as I started up MSI Afterburner 4.2, Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, I have to hit the reset button on the Luxe. PC then shuts down and I start it up again ~10 seconds later, no problem since (including running Afterburner).

Default Vcore is only 1.02698V according to Gigabyte's hardware monitor app, with CPU reporting ~3555MHz and BCLK ~104.5, CPU temp currently 19C.

Associate
i was getting this issue too... i have yet to make the computer crash but every time on cold boot i was getting boot failure.

as 8 pack said, for me the answer was fiddling with the memory. i do need to go back to it however as right now my memory is running slower than its rated speed which i am not really happy about.

but, if i were you i would be looking at memory timings over cpu voltages etc 1st..

it has been a long time since doing electronics at school, however iirc the resistances etc on a cold cpu (any circuit) are actually lower than on a hot one, therefore in theory it should run BETTER when cold, not worse so my total guess is that it is just some memory check the mobo is doing on cold boot which it is failing on for what ever reason, even tho it is rock stable once actually booted up.

Strange thing is it was fine for a week until I added in the Asus M2 adaptor and needed to use the newer beta bios , suggests the beta bios is flaky , I will leave sytem in standy but with power on @ wall socket tonight and see if that makes any diff. Trial & error is name of the game at the moment

Soldato
Strange thing is it was fine for a week until I added in the Asus M2 adaptor and needed to use the newer beta bios , suggests the beta bios is flaky , I will leave sytem in standy but with power on @ wall socket tonight and see if that makes any diff. Trial & error is name of the game at the moment

i too only got it with the beta bios, but then i flashed the bios before overclocking.

my logic was, sure its a beta, but it was also a fairly old beta. perhaps this was a mistake.

Soldato
Sorry not very helpful but I'm using the beta BIOS and now have 2 Mini PCIE adaptors. One with a 128GB SM951 (PCIE_2) for booting and the other for the 512GB SM951 (PCIE_3) for games. When I moved the 128GB drive from the M.2 socket to the adapter the BIOS automatically selected it as the boot drive and Windows booted no problem so they do work with this BIOS/motherboard combo.

The only thing I may be doing different is disabling the onboard sound and using an external USB AMP/DAC.

Associate
OK an update - have been tinkering during the day and my conclusion is its the memory if put in profile1 (3000Mhz)

The cpu clocks and benchs happily @ 4.2 and the system boots /enters bios and has not failed yet with multi adjusted & memory at default

With profile1 selected the system may or may not boot , the bios can be entered sometimes but not always as system hangs trying and always errors after a power down

the ram was running happily for a week on profile1 but since a bios update to f2f beta it has been an issue

so have to stick with lower ram frequency (not sure of any real world difference) or wait for someone with the same problem to find a solution ... unless the ram is guaranteed the speeds by OuCK and can be RMA'd

anyone run the ram @ higher volts for example ? not my strong point so thought I would ask :)

EDIT - just read a review of this ram on TweakTown and they had problems and ended up needing to run @1.40v to get stable and bootable consistently

EDIT 2 - scrubb all the above , system wouldnt even boot first time this morning but did second attempt , but then a restart it wouldnt even boot with optimised bios settings , very odd behaviour :(

EDIT 3 - hopefully solved problem now , went back to basics , optimised bios defaults giving problems so thoughts turned to Asus adaptor not working correctly , so removed , reseated and seems to have done the job for now , further testing required obviously

EDIT 4 - The final Chapter ..... I hope , fingers crossed & praise be to the gods of pc ..... I am officially gobsmacked at what seems to be the solution .... silly simple and so far successful through several power cycles and stress tests ... do the 8Pack overclock as per instructions BUT dont touch the DRAM voltages just leave them as profile1 on AUTO (not 1.35v set manually) and as if by magic all seems well. .... for now at least lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Let hope that's progress. I initially only applied the RAM voltage to one pair of DIMMs to begin with and didn't actually have any issues so maybe they don't all need the extra to be stable.

OcUK Staff
At stock settings (optimised defaults), I'm sometimes getting a complete system lockup, but I cannot reproduce steps to make it happen at will.

This morning I had one such event as I started up MSI Afterburner 4.2, Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, I have to hit the reset button on the Luxe. PC then shuts down and I start it up again ~10 seconds later, no problem since (including running Afterburner).

Default Vcore is only 1.02698V according to Gigabyte's hardware monitor app, with CPU reporting ~3555MHz and BCLK ~104.5, CPU temp currently 19C.

These are far from default settings you should be at 100 BLK. Reset again and go through my tweaks in order.

Back
Top Bottom