** OUR SECOND 8 PACK APPROVED OC BUNDLE: OVERCLOCKED, DISCOUNTED, ELITE TIER VERY FAST!! **

Associate
Guys I used none Beta Bios without issue. U should not need bios update.

Sadly I was a sheep and followed those who wanted the extra SSD speed by using the Asus M2 board , and that requires the BIOS update.

Your instructions and the OC stage 1 & 2 were fine before the update , so the beta BIOS has caused me some issues especially around cold starts both with and without wall socket disconnection.

Sorry if I derailed the thread :) , hopefully I have found my solution fingers crossed

Soldato
I finally got round to applying the guaranteed overclock and so far, following 8-Pack's instructions, all is stable @ 4.125GHz, both browsing and doing some gaming. :)

Not sure what was going on with my "optimized defaults" setting earlier that was raising BCLK up to ~105, very odd!

Associate
Just finished overclocking the bundle (level 1) and it looks to be running alright.

Only thing is, after 40 minutes of running Prime95, two of the cores reached 92 celcius. the second highest was 86 and the others around 80. In the pictures supplied, the highest temperatures are between 60-70. Should I be worried? I was getting these temps with all fans set to full speed in a HAF X case.

I'm considering getting a better top case fan to try improve on this, but thought i'd check if i should be investigating something else. At idle, these temps are all below 35 celcius, with all fans at half power.

Also, these custom fans make a clicking noise at full speed. Anyone else noticing it?

Associate
Dont bother with Prime95. You wont get that kind of stress on your cpu in real life. Just bench with what you use the system for

Soldato
I'm finding AIDA64 has a good built in stress function (CPU, RAM, drives). You can graph temps, voltages fan speeds etc. at the same time.

So for example my 2 x SP120 fans idle at ~800, ~1000 RPM gaming & sit between 1200-1300 RPM when running the stress test. I managed that by tweaking the BIOS manual setting on CPU_OPT and by switching Noctua fan resistors on the fan cables.

To be honest I get twitchy when the cores get in the 60s which they only now do briefly during the AIDA64 stress test. Currently 4.25 GHz @ 1.14v on the CPU.

As a comparison to how stressful Prime95 can be, using the small FFTs stress test the fans run at ~1600 RPM, very loud, and the hottest cores are in the low 70s.

I much prefer this kinda stress testing! Fallout 4 running at 3440x1440, 75 fps cap = CPU fans 1047 RPM (1849 = Pump). CPU temps averaging ~45 DegC.

Last edited:
Associate
Not the case here, I'm using the original BIOS and the Asus board without issue.

sadly not the case for me for some reason I just got a black screen when trying to enter the BIOS so couldnt change anything. I did try putting F1 BIOS back on and same thing happens cant get a screen up for BIOS it remains black even removing the Asus card its remains the same :(

not sure what to do , no overclock sticks after a cold start (no power to system for a while) and fails

Soldato
^^ Well it sounds like something is causing disruption so before an RMA request I would be swapping parts such as the PSU or take the board out of the case temporarily (I have cases cause issues before). Even trying a different power socket to try to isolate the issue.

This sounds simple but on some boards the main board power socket isn't well supported and the 24 pin plug can be hard to insert fully. So I use small plastic supports that clip over the edge of the board also protects the board from bending. Sometimes it can be that silly.

Associate
Built my system on my desk today.

Very happy so far.

I tried the suggested settings for 4.15 but it didn't feel right so dropped back to 4ghz and that feels better.
Might have been windows updates or something messing things up at 4.15 so ill try again another day.

Fallout 4 is working brilliantly on ultra settings.
Fallout 4 was pretty much unplayable on my old amd system.

Thanks 8pack and ocuk.

Associate
^^ Well it sounds like something is causing disruption so before an RMA request I would be swapping parts such as the PSU or take the board out of the case temporarily (I have cases cause issues before). Even trying a different power socket to try to isolate the issue.

This sounds simple but on some boards the main board power socket isn't well supported and the 24 pin plug can be hard to insert fully. So I use small plastic supports that clip over the edge of the board also protects the board from bending. Sometimes it can be that silly.

System is still inconsistent at cold boots but will run all day and pass all stress tests with overclock level 1 once up and running

Another day of trial and error and if still temperamental tomorrow I will contact customer services

Associate
Well it cold booted this morning .... first time for a week I have managed to get it cold boot from full power down over night so thats a plus

just seems to be one small niggle , on first power up it goes past gigabyte screen onto a static windows flag screen , then it scans usb ports (can see power lights & keyboard lights go out) then reboots and loads into windows 10 correctly , also had USB devices disappear on me and then wont be recognised by system but think thats a win10 issue rather than hardware

running 4.1GHz but needed more vcore and vram volts to do so

Associate
Hi, I'm also having some trouble with this bundle.

Getting infrequent system freezes and BSODs under stock. If I change the BIOS settings to match 8Pack's instructions most of the time the system gets locked in a reboot cycle and eventually brings up the failed overclock menu. In the odd occassion that it boots to windows it was BSOD a few seconds into a stress test.

There are some photos of my settings here and here. (CS forums).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Associate
are you on the release BIOS ? did you install the Asus M2 card for the SSD ? what psu you running ?

if its unstable at defaults then something is not right so yeah use customer service area and talk to them I am sure they know far more then me to help

Associate
Hi Cozman, yeah I haven't flashed the bios so it's whatever was in the box (from memory I think it was F1). The m2 card is direct in the motherboard (no add in card). My psu is a BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro (9?) 650w which I think should be fine?

Associate
Hi Cozman, yeah I haven't flashed the bios so it's whatever was in the box (from memory I think it was F1). The m2 card is direct in the motherboard (no add in card). My psu is a BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro (9?) 650w which I think should be fine?

definitely got something not right then if everything is as supplied and giving problems at defaults. I am going to guess one the first things to test would be memory , windows has a built in one though not great , but give memtest or something a run through and see if it errors (going presume you put sticks in 1 +3 + 5 + 7)

Associate
definitely got something not right then if everything is as supplied and giving problems at defaults. I am going to guess one the first things to test would be memory , windows has a built in one though not great , but give memtest or something a run through and see if it errors (going presume you put sticks in 1 +3 + 5 + 7)

Yep sticks are in that order. Could very well be a ram issue. I'll give it a memtest86 run or two when I'm home. Cheers!

OcUK Staff
Just finished overclocking the bundle (level 1) and it looks to be running alright.

Only thing is, after 40 minutes of running Prime95, two of the cores reached 92 celcius. the second highest was 86 and the others around 80. In the pictures supplied, the highest temperatures are between 60-70. Should I be worried? I was getting these temps with all fans set to full speed in a HAF X case.

I'm considering getting a better top case fan to try improve on this, but thought i'd check if i should be investigating something else. At idle, these temps are all below 35 celcius, with all fans at half power.

Also, these custom fans make a clicking noise at full speed. Anyone else noticing it?

Man dont slog the CPU with Prime. Its junk. I just used to show. Play your games and apps and test that way.

OcUK Staff

Mem test each stick in singel channel, then in quad.

Associate
Mem test each stick in singel channel, then in quad.

Hi guys, went through a whole load of debugging and here's what I have.

Got nothing but reboot cycles when I got home (not even the failed overclock BIOS screen).

I did the following tests on stock settings (edit: With both default BIOS and Optimised Defaults):
  • Each ram module individually - OK (Can POST and boot to OS)
  • Two ram modules at a time - OK (Swapped sticks around - still OK) - (Can POST and boot to OS)
  • Four Ram modules - Fail (I swapped the sticks around with no success). (Can not POST).

I used the ram slot order as recommended by the manual in each case. I'm now running a memtest86 on the sticks (2 at a time). So far they have been passing.

Will edit this post with the memtest results when they are done. Do you think it could be a motherboard issue?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom