Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Some slightly odd things on the list there. How does this sound..

- One-make championship consisting of 26 identical cars. The chassis is designed by one manufacturer and the engine is a 4 litre V8 (no KERS).

- A race weekend is composed of a practice session, qualifying session, followed by two races.

- One tyre manufacturer that provides four specifications.

- Compulsory pit-stop in which all four tyres must be changed.

- No individual developments or upgrades are permitted in the series, and all spare parts must be purchased directly from the series owner. Repairs of structural components must be carried out by series owner in order to ensure integrity.

Ferrari would have to design the chassis or they would leave(again) :D
I like the idea of 2 races. Maybe a reverse grid for the second one?
Or go the opposite direction in the second race? Imagine going the other way at Eau Rouge at full speed :eek::D

I think the cars should be different that's why I said 3 sets of front\back wings will be the same. But do what you like in between.

Soldato
As unworkable as it is for various reasons, I did always enjoy driving a course in reverse in something like Gran Turismo. Very few circuits where it could be made workable unfortunately.

Man of Honour
Ferrari would have to design the chassis or they would leave(again) :D
I like the idea of 2 races. Maybe a reverse grid for the second one?
Or go the opposite direction in the second race? Imagine going the other way at Eau Rouge at full speed :eek::D

I think the cars should be different that's why I said 3 sets of front\back wings will be the same. But do what you like in between.

But all teams will use the same wings for the same track? Same as giving options for tyres.. there will always be an 'optimum' for anything like that and the teams will end up using the same things.

The description I gave above was lifted from the GP2 regs, so sounds like or similar same spec series would be more enjoyable for you.

Caporegime
As JRS has pointed out, we can't all just ignore him as he posts so much complete crap that if nobody corrects him there's a risk someone might believe something he says to be true.

I am however now firmly of the view that he does it all on purpose, which just cements the fact that this place hasn't been about actually discussing motor sport for years.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I am however now firmly of the view that he does it all on purpose

That BS a while back about the lap record being broken at every single MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 race certainly lends credence to that view. Posting something that was quickly found to be rubbish, then blithely insisting that he was still right and bulldozing through every attempt made to actually engage with him about it.

Caporegime
I do every year and I say the same thing. But I'll repeat it for you as your busy in your own thread :)

I would bring in these rules in.
There would be 3 front and rear wings to suit different tracks.
These wings will have 60% less down force then now.
There would be only one kind of floor.

Tires
Each set of tires must be able to 25 laps at qulai speed.
If there is a delamination, then the tire under that should last a lap at the speed of 100mph.
The tire will be wider.
The tire walls will be made much stronger.

Any member can have a go at what I posted. But please if you do, then come up with something better.

Learn about discussion and management, and logic. On the last point, when people use some critical thinking on existing ideas it can prevent bad ideas from being implemented so deciding someone has to have a better idea is exactly how terrible ideas get implemented in the first place. You don't have to have a better idea on how to fix it to point out why another idea is terrible.

So lets have a look at yours, 60% less downforce... well, you just made F1 slower than WEC by dropping the biggest advantage F1 has over every other series in the world, downforce and cornering speed. Without it they'd be significantly slower.

Second, lower downforce doesn't help, when you get in the dirty air of the guy in front it's in the corners that it has the most effect, when you have less downforce what you do have is more critical and getting rid of it will only worsen the ability to follow in corners. 60% less downforce would fix none of F1's current issues.

Then you say have standard wings but let the teams do anything they want in between to get different cars. it shows your absolute lack of understanding of the cars and the sport as a whole(which pretty much everything else you post does as well). The design of the 'rest' of the car is 100% dependent on the design of the wings. Where the air is directed by the front wing and how the rear wing needs the air to be shaped to work it means there is basically one very specific body that will utilise the front and rear wing combination effectively. Given identical wings and noses everyone would end up with nearly an identical shape body.

You've just turned F1 into a significantly slower, nearly stock series with less overtaking.... well done.

Caporegime
That BS a while back about the lap record being broken at every single MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 race certainly lends credence to that view. Posting something that was quickly found to be rubbish, then blithely insisting that he was still right and bulldozing through every attempt made to actually engage with him about it.

Yep. Even when clearly and simply shown to be wrong he just stuck his fingers in his ears and persisted on blindly.

This is a man who blames the decline in viewing figures from 2008 to 2013 on an engine technology that wasn't introduced until 2014, and who deliberately selected wet vs. dry lap times to claim that the 2014 cars were 20 seconds a lap slower than in 2013.

I refuse to believe that someone can be that stupid, so he must be doing it on purpose. His posting also follows a 'format' that is utterly predictable and regularly repeated, and used consistently across multiple sub forums.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Will Buxton on Ron Dennis.

His presence at the helm and as Captain of a sinking ship, with him seemingly oblivious to the fact that the hull has been breached and is taking on water, is painful to watch. He stands ignorant to the fact that his is the burden and his the responsibility for the crippling damage besetting his team, and that it has the potential to destroy all he has created.

Over the past 12 months Ron Dennis has gone from being a figure of authority and respect, to one openly mocked. “Oh God, what’s he said / done now?” has become the accepted response when one brings up his name.

There was the interview with Danish television that he asked to start again after forgetting the name of the team’s young GP2 stand out Stoffel Vandoorne. They couldn’t of course. They were live. And so Ron compounded his error by talking up their other young prospect, Nick. Nick Heidfeld.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

Soldato
But all teams will use the same wings for the same track? Same as giving options for tyres.. there will always be an 'optimum' for anything like that and the teams will end up using the same things.

Not really. As I've said they can do what they like with the body.

The description I gave above was lifted from the GP2 regs, so sounds like or similar same spec series would be more enjoyable for you.

So you had nothing to add even when I posted it twice. Oh well.

Caporegime
So you had nothing to add even when I posted it twice. Oh well.

He added a well constructed, condensed version of a currently active set of regulation in use in a successful single seater series, in response to you posting badly written, poorly thought out flippant guff.

I think your "nothing to add" pointy stick is facing the wrong way.

Caporegime
Your back after all the begging rbs has done. You must be looking forward to 2020 when you get results again ;)

And if people don't like what I post then put me on ignore. See how simple that was.

For those of you unfamiliar with the 'deuse standard posting format', this is stage 3.

1) Post something deliberately antagonistic, wrong or just stupid knowing people will pick up on it.
2) Fuel the 'discussion' by moving goal posts, adding more made up rubbish or simply ignoring anything resembling an actual fact.
3) Once you run out of fuel or get bored, throw out a thinly veiled insult at another member, and close with a one liner designed to try and steer the conversation somewhere completely different to allow you to escape.

Wash. Rinse. Move to anther Sub Forum. Repeat.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
And if people don't like what I post then put me on ignore.

Why should you be allowed to post out-and-out trash and get away with it because the people who would call you out on it have you on their ignore list?

Keep posting crap, and I'll call you out on it. See how simple that is?

Back
Top Bottom