Which Disneyland? Or is it worth it?

Soldato
For a couple, not family. We both enjoy fast insane roller coaster. Will be a weeks trip (with stuff outside of the theme park if we get time.

If you're looking at America other parks have better rollercoasters - Florida has Busch Gardens & Universal which have both got excellent coasters :)

Associate
I've not been for about 10 years but I can't believe you would run out of things to do in Florida. Between Disney World , Universal studios-islands of adventure, Busch Gardens you wont be short of roller coasters, not to mention things like Epcot, MGM, Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, Seaworld etc etc

Last edited:
Soldato
The best theme parks in Florida are Universal/Island of Adventue & Busch Gardens the disney ones are pretty average. However the 2 Disney waterparks are amazing.

Soldato
I personally wouldnt think its worth it. You have to tolerate many aspects of a theme park which is especially costly if its a holiday trip.

Time would be my main concern, why wait around in lines or at food stands when you are on holiday?

As a family man you do it for the kids, as a kid your time is worth less and there is more enjoyment/excitement but as an adult your most precious resource is time. I would view the trip as how much time i spent working to go on holiday to a themepark to wait in lines for rides and such.

If you think the trade for what you get out of it is worth it, then it is worth it, so dont listen to my opinion. I love fishing and that is time consuming, expensive and arguably also just waiting around but i feel my time off and money spent is worth the trade.

Is it for the coasters you want to go or do the other aspects of Disneyland appeal to you?

TL : DR

Only you can really know the answer to the question. I hear the experience is really magical if you are really into your Disney.

Soldato
We are planning on taking our kids to Florida next year. As a family theme parks have always been our 'thing'.

When we lived in the UK we were Merlin annual pass holders (pretty much went to one of the parks every other weekend)and pre-kids the wife and myself did both Disneyland in California and Disneyworld in Orlando.

For the theme park experience Orlando is the better experience. More Disney parks (Epcot, Animal Kingdom etc) with also Busch gardens, Universal studios + islands of adventure, Seaworld and the not to be missed IMO Discovery Cove.

Ok it can get expensive and it can get tiring trailing around day after day around the theme parks. We loved it though, and I am sure our kids will as well (we took our kids to Disney Tokyo a couple of months back and Universal Singapore).

Soldato
So, Universal studios over Disney?

As a couple I'd say yes. That's what me and my wife did a few years ago, its just a bit more grown up and the rides are excellent. Plus the universal city walk is great for a night out.

I'd highly recommend the hard rock hotel on site as well, even for just a night or 2. You get early entry to the park, fast pass tickets and its a fantastic place to stay!

Soldato
Sorry to give a little more context to that, there are two Universal Parks, the Island of Aventure has the better rides (although I believe the Hulk coaster is being upgraded at the moment).

But for the whole experience, The Magic Kingdom is epic. Street shows, awesome firework display, great interaction with characters. Children love it. Rides though are so so.

Soldato
You'd be insane to only go for a week. Once you're there it's pretty cheap. Go for two weeks and do Disney universal Busch gardens seaward space centre etc. Etc there is LOADS to do and it's all awesome.

Caporegime
Go out of season, I went in October and we managed two Disney parks in one day. We also managed nearly all the rides in both Universal parks in one day.

The only rides we queued a long time for was the Harry Potter ride (45min-1hr) and the big one there rock something (about an hour also). Most rides we just walked on, it was still warm and there wasn't a great amount of kids! bonus.

Soldato
Universal generally has better rides but their best roller coast, The Hulk, is currently closed for repairs and no date for reopening yet. The Harry Potter stuff is great but personally I'm much more of a fan of Disney. I've been 7 times to Florida now and going for an 8th in 2017 for our Honeymoon and we mostly plan on doing Disney again.

Soldato
You want roller coasters then do:

Universal Studios
Islands of Adventure
Sea World (hate how they treat animals but have good rides)
Busch Gardens Tampa

But one week has never been long enough, two weeks is pushing it, imo. Stay somewhere cheap and stay for longer.

Soldato
I would definitely go for more than a week, we spent 3 days at universal/islands of adventure could have spent more. (i was busy when we went queue times were long)

disney world was a let down

Caporegime
Personally, I won't be going back again. It's good to see, but once is enough for me (excluding the 3 times I went as a kid, which to be fair I can barely remember). I'll go back IF I have kids, without a doubt though.

Back
Top Bottom