** OUR SECOND 8 PACK APPROVED OC BUNDLE: OVERCLOCKED, DISCOUNTED, ELITE TIER VERY FAST!! **

Associate
Ah, cheers Blame, had looked under the 8 Pack link at the top and the OcUK bundles page but not found anything that way. In my defence (though I don't mind the new design) I think the new site could do with a bit of simplification.

Associate
Hi guys, went through a whole load of debugging and here's what I have.

Got nothing but reboot cycles when I got home (not even the failed overclock BIOS screen).

I did the following tests on stock settings (edit: With both default BIOS and Optimised Defaults):
  • Each ram module individually - OK (Can POST and boot to OS)
  • Two ram modules at a time - OK (Swapped sticks around - still OK) - (Can POST and boot to OS)
  • Four Ram modules - Fail (I swapped the sticks around with no success). (Can not POST).

I used the ram slot order as recommended by the manual in each case. I'm now running a memtest86 on the sticks (2 at a time). So far they have been passing.

Will edit this post with the memtest results when they are done. Do you think it could be a motherboard issue?
Hi 8 Pack,

Added more details to my previous post. In short 4 sticks = no POST regardless of whether the BIOS is on default, optimised default or 8 Pack OC with 2666mhz.

Using the overclock with just 2 RAM modules @ 2666mhz brings up the overclock fail BIOS screen.

As I've strictly been following the manual for the ram slot order (and the manual only deals in multiples of 2 modules when there is more than 1 stick) I can narrow it down to either slot 1_1A, 5_1C or both.

I have exactly the same problem see:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18692250
I thought that I was the only one who had the 4 Ram Failure. It's reassuring that you recreated the tests and got the same results as I did. Slots 1 and 5 failing on two different computers doing the same set of tests makes me think now it's a Bios problem more than a slot/memory failure.

Giga-man suggested I contacted the tech support team http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx which I have done.

Last edited:
Associate
Just a quick question for 8pack if he has the time to reply :D

Finally took deliver of this bundle due to a few shipping mishaps! Just wanted to know if you think it's worth using the provided AIO cooling setup VS a 3 fan NH-DH15 cooler I have on my current system ??

Associate
Well my issues weirdly enough was Nvidia 359.06 drivers, they just don't play nice with the system at all and BSOD's was aplenty even just sat at desktop, 359.00 and solid as a rock ...... damn drivers, ruining my overclocking fun, ah well, back to 4.5ghz now :p

Caporegime
Just a quick question for 8pack if he has the time to reply :D

Finally took deliver of this bundle due to a few shipping mishaps! Just wanted to know if you think it's worth using the provided AIO cooling setup VS a 3 fan NH-DH15 cooler I have on my current system ??
The D15 should cope fine too tbh. Using air cooling here, an alpenfohn k2 which is similair to the D15. Temps on a 4.5ghz oc'd 5820k max at 64c when gaming.

Associate
Well my issues weirdly enough was Nvidia 359.06 drivers, they just don't play nice with the system at all and BSOD's was aplenty even just sat at desktop, 359.00 and solid as a rock ...... damn drivers, ruining my overclocking fun, ah well, back to 4.5ghz now :p

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this.

I had problems at 4.15ghz but was ok at 4ghz
kept getting graphics driver problems.

Just changed to 359.0 and everything "seems" ok
Need to test a bit more but im pretty sure I had the same problem as you

Caporegime
Well it cold booted this morning .... first time for a week I have managed to get it cold boot from full power down over night so thats a plus

just seems to be one small niggle , on first power up it goes past gigabyte screen onto a static windows flag screen , then it scans usb ports (can see power lights & keyboard lights go out) then reboots and loads into windows 10 correctly , also had USB devices disappear on me and then wont be recognised by system but think thats a win10 issue rather than hardware

running 4.1GHz but needed more vcore and vram volts to do so

Did you ever fix this? The OC 1 settings have been working fine for the last 3 days yet this morning I booted up and it gave me a "boot failure detected" message :confused:

Saved the settings again and all seems fine. Have powered off and powered on a couple of times to check and all seems ok. Like you, the overclock seems rock solid in windows and it was booting from cold fine for the last 3 days.

Very odd. I am hoping it was just a one off, but I bet it isn't! Will report back tomorrow.

Caporegime
I have been doing some research and read it could be something to do with fast boot options as well as possibly windows fast start up option in Windows 10.

Read about people having issues at stock as well with this cold boot issue.

Will look into these if it happens again.

Soldato
I have been doing some research and read it could be something to do with fast boot options as well as possibly windows fast start up option in Windows 10.

Read about people having issues at stock as well with this cold boot issue.

Will look into these if it happens again.

Must admit I seemed to run into issues when using the fast boot options.

I didn't look that hard into it, BIOS options are crazy on this X99 board compared to my old socket 775 MSI x48c Platinum, I just simply went back to standard boot mode.

Associate
Did you ever fix this? The OC 1 settings have been working fine for the last 3 days yet this morning I booted up and it gave me a "boot failure detected" message :confused:

Saved the settings again and all seems fine. Have powered off and powered on a couple of times to check and all seems ok. Like you, the overclock seems rock solid in windows and it was booting from cold fine for the last 3 days.

Very odd. I am hoping it was just a one off, but I bet it isn't! Will report back tomorrow.

Well not sure about anything any more lol , system has been erratic at starting from a full power down with booting sometimes and not others.

An oddity though is (and I find it strange this may have been the cause of all my issues) an SSD failed on me yesterday with BIOS not picking it up. Tried in another PC and sure enough SSD appears dead and this morning after a full power down and several hours cold using the 8 Pack OC stage 2 settings the PC booted without any issues and has run all morning.

Guess I will know in next few days if that could bring the system chaos

Caporegime
Part of me is thinking of selling the 16gb of 3000mhz and getting a 32gb kit (4 dims) of lower clocked memory ( say 2400mhz) as for my music work ( large orchestral vst use) as the ram will be useful and I also cant be bothered with trying to get the system stable with the memory at 3000mhz if it is going to be erratic ( not up for flaky starts)

I have never had any luck getting memory to rung at its rated speed 100& stable and you hardly gain anything.

Don't have a clue how to overlock on x99 without 8 packs guide though. Presumably you can just leave memory at stock and just use the multiplier on the cpu?

OcUK Staff
Quad channel RAM is very complex. When you power the system down and cold boot again each time sub timings within the Bios will be set with different tolerances depending on many factors including IMC temp. Often when the system has been left for a while the IMC is cold and at such temps can train these lower settings too tight for the system to boot and be stable. Such settings as RTL or TWCL for example.

Simple power cycling or additional sub voltages related to IMC help this a lot. Its how quad channel works guys. Hence when on LN2 for example the mems can be run much tighter as the IMC is cold and can train the lower subs much tighter.

Your OC is probably 100% stable when you get into windows its just this training that's the issue and to be honest is not really a lot to worry about. Just go into Bios F10 reboot up it comes.

What your CPU needs exactly to avoid cold boot is dependent on your CPU as each is slightly different. SA, VL4 VL5 VL6 are the least time consuming ways to approach the problem and u should begin tweaking as I stated earlier.

Last edited:
Associate
Struggling to get the level 1 overclock working. CPU seems fine but the memory wont work at 3000mhz, tried the same settings for the overclock1 but instead set memory to 2666mhz and it boots without an issue.

Any way to get the ram booting at 3000mhz? Tried setting the VL4, VL5 & VL6 settings as mentioned in this thread but made no difference. Also set the SA to 0.25

OcUK Staff
Leave the mems at 2666 then and push the CPU to level 2 more benefit to be honest.

Maybe test the mems also in single channel via memtest to check they are all capable of 3000mhz and stable at that.

Back
Top Bottom