The Begginers Guide: From the creator of Stanley Parable

Soldato
Anyone played this?

Not really a game you 'play' or even a game that seems to be for entertainment/enjoyment but rather as an aid to encourage reflecting on ones own thoughts and the ideas of mental health.

Thought i would start a discussion thread on the game as it is possible one of the most thought provoking games i have ever played.

There a lot of theories on if Coda is a real person or another part of Davey?

The credits which dedicate the game to 'R' also through me off as by that time i thought the story was about an internal conflict.

I like to think that these games were made by a different person and that the story narrated did happen to an extent. I think this because there is a certain feel to some of the prison levels which though have some similarity with his Stanley Parable, they are fundamentally different and makes me think that Stanley is more of an homage to those prisons and puzzles.

Whether or not the story told in the game is real, i must say that Davey Wreden has my respect for centring his games on creative mind blowing environments, storyline and narration without relying on pretty textures/flashy game engines or even dynamic gameplay.

Never has so little in a game made me feel like i have played through so much.

Soldato
OP
This is on another level really. It is much more personal and encourages the player to reflect on his own life and relationships. Much less of a game and more of a interactive novel of his mind.

Soldato
I really enjoyed the Stanley parable :)

Although I'm yet to spend an entire tuesday playing so I've not got all the achievements yet

Thanks for the heads up on the other two games. I see Dr Langeskov is free as well which is generous of them. Will pick up The Beginners guide in the steam sale next week. (22nd apparently).

Soldato
OP
I would say the best order to do things is SP first, beginners guide second and Dr third. They are unrelated to each other but The Beginngers Guide gives you an understanding for how Davey Wreden thinks and what he went through post release of the SP.

You cant treat it like a game though. Play it when you feel like you want to watch a stimulating film.

Back
Top Bottom