South Lakes Safari Zoo to close :(

Can't type for toffee
Don
Caporegime
Thats sad.

I dont quite follow though. Why can't the council just give them their requirements, they get it done to the councils satisfaction and that's that.

Why would the council be harassing them? I would imagine such a place is beneficial to the area.

Soldato
In my experience in my area, councils usually do things like this because small but popular attractions take business from their own (usually) crap ones.

Sly.

Soldato
fantastic place.. More health and safety nonsense by the sounds of it... its not as if the council would be the ones to get sued over a slip/fall either

Associate
There's a petition up at change.org and the general gist from the latest update is the license was refused on safety concerns raised over the walkways but the council took the opinion of the vet doing the animal inspection in regards to said walkways over waiting for a properly commissioned structural engineers report - even going as far as to interfere with the engineer's work by withholding the local reg's on the subject.

Lets guess, having a wild life park with dangerous animals means they have to have a certain level of armed response units available or some other emergency services available in case of a problem with the inmates that the council wants to cut back on to save funding so they're putting the place out of business to save themselves a few quid...

Associate
He's always in a constant war as he keeps doing things without planning permission, which has annoyed the Council.
Then he stood as Conservative Councillor in a total Labour area.
Barrow Borough Council are loons though.

This is just media posturing. He'll be open again once the season starts. Cash cow for his Wyoming ranch.

Man of Honour
Is that the one where the owner had a routine with one of the Tigers? went there years back and he got a bit funny with my dad who made a light hearted commented about it being staged.

EDIT: Yeah David Gill - same place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lets guess, having a wild life park with dangerous animals means they have to have a certain level of armed response units available or some other emergency services available in case of a problem with the inmates that the council wants to cut back on to save funding so they're putting the place out of business to save themselves a few quid...

That's quite a stretch really. The police aren't going to keep an ARV nearby on the unlikely off-chance a lion escapes its enclosure.

Man of Honour
Just found out there's more to this than stated in the articles. The owner sounds awful and doesn't seem to care about the animals as much as one would hope.

There are quite a few campaigns against him and stuff :S I wonder how much is deserved and how much is people being incredibly vindictive and awkward due to the whole "no smoke without fire" thing over some of the problems and turning it into a problem that goes round and round.

Soldato
discount-lion-safari.jpg

Back
Top Bottom