talk talk worth it?

Associate
Currently with BT and contract just ran out. Was looking at Talk Talk Superfast fibre broadband as they are far cheaper than everyone else -

- 18m contract, £28.95per month for 80/20 connection.

Considering they are using the BT network, is there anything i should worry about compared to what i have had the last 12 months with BT?

Associate
OP
ouch, did not know much about this. Looks like Sky is the next best deal out there for 40/10, £27.40. I can live with that unless anyone knows of any better deals around?

Associate
OP
Yeah i saw that one, but because of cashback deals it always seems better to move over t someone else once out of contract, which is a shame as BT have been perfectly decent and i'd have been Ok staying with them.

One thing i like about BT is they never ever once call you trying to get you to upgrade with special offers, etc. When i was with Virgin, they literally hounded me twice a month with calls about mobile offers or upgrades etc. In the end i had to forcefully stop these cold calls. To this day, i still get at least 2 virgin letters a month with "deals" through the door... truly specially priced deals only available to the select few of 60 million people. The way they fake advertise should be looked into imo.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Plusnet, cheap and fast.
Plusnet were cheap last time i looked, but not currently:

18 month contract (ouch)
first 6 months is: £22
then £32 for the last 12.

Not too good really. Sky has them beat for now.

and what's this all about on their page?: "Up to 38Mb download speeds† / Up to 1.9Mb upload speeds" 1.9mbit only?

Last edited:
Associate
- 18m contract, £28.95per month for 80/20 connection.

Does that even include line rental since plusnets 80/20 offering is currently £10/month for the first 6 months and £19.99/month after that for the same contract duration.

Also without the current discounts, you'll be paying the same for an unlimited 40/10 line on sky and you have to deal with MER limiting you to either their supplied pile of garbage or the limited amount of fibre modem/routers out there that support MER.

Associate
OP
it does include line rental too. I know, ludicrously cheap. Decided to go with Sky though as the idea of being trapped for 18 months with a potentially sub par service is a little scary!

Associate
OP
just their basic 40/10 unlimited for 27.40 + quidco cashback of £85. Had the same with BT for a year and suits me fine. Prior to this had 150Mb virgin and can't say i miss it at all.

Soldato
I took the Talk Talk route. I'll post-up exactly the process I went through for ordering, delivery of the service and what kind of service I'm getting 14 days after my going live date.

As for the whole "hack" thing. One might now assume that they are never going to allow something like that to happen again and that your data will now be 100% safe - just an opinion of course.

Associate
I took the Talk Talk route. I'll post-up exactly the process I went through for ordering, delivery of the service and what kind of service I'm getting 14 days after my going live date.

As for the whole "hack" thing. One might now assume that they are never going to allow something like that to happen again and that your data will now be 100% safe - just an opinion of course.

TalkTalk are basically OK as far as the product goes, you might notice some slight congestion if you monitor your line with Thinkbroadband's BQM(can be used with dynamic IPs - just keep your IP entry up to date).

Foreign call centres are OK for basic operations, online chat and e-mail can reduce problems of poor phone connections and strong foreign accents. The user forums are UK based and offer better help for more difficult issues but they take days to reply to a post - as standard.

So basically, fine - unless you have tricky problems to solve urgently, suppose that's the nature of bargain basement ISPs.

Small bump :)

So with talktalk currently offering free unlimited fibre for 12 months (38mb and £17.50 line rental) on an 18 month contract (so £10 a month for remaining 6 months) are there any reasons not to go for this? Its certainly cheaper than Sky who is my current supplier.

Associate
TalkTalk upload will be 2Mb/s while I think Sky will be 10Mb/s(38Mb) - so if you need better upload speed ... I use offsite backup and 10Mb upload is manageable for dealing with 100s of GB, 2Mb/s would be a problem.

Man of Honour
I'd be avoiding Talk Talk like the plague, their customer service are atrocious when dealing with any issues. Plenty of info on the internet about it.

Soldato
I'd be avoiding Talk Talk like the plague, their customer service are atrocious when dealing with any issues. Plenty of info on the internet about it.

They used to be the most complained about ISP, things change, if you look at that graph it shows TT's made a significant effort to reduce complaints and BT /EE are the generating higher volumes of serious complaints. See Here. I have family on TT who have very few issues, i'd not recommend them if asked, but they aren't as bad as they used to be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom