Amazon Logistics

Soldato
I've got too used to DPD and their excellent tracking system. The only thing I'll buy from Amazon now on is anything that can be put into the post box.

Associate
The only delivery company I ever had problems with was City Link.

They delivered a load of extremely expensive fishing gear while I was at work so they left a note through the door stating "4 x parcels left in bin cupboard".

Great job :eek: it was bin day so everything went in the local landfill.............

Luckily I had stated not to leave in bin cupboard only with myself/wife or a neighbor.

Replacements arrived with a couple of days via Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Soldato
Just had to complain to amazon because the local driver is an imbecile. Throwing parcells over my wall because regardless of how many times i tell him the intercom doesnt work unless you press 05 and not just keep pressing 5 untill the intercom explodes he just cant get it into his skull.

Pay peanuts get monkeys

Soldato
Pay peanuts get monkeys

Yes but who's fault is that? People use Amazon because their prices are low, which forces them to find the cheapest ways of delivering items.

The responsibility falls on the consumer ultimately, pay more get a decent service.

Associate
Yes but who's fault is that? People use Amazon because their prices are low, which forces them to find the cheapest ways of delivering items.

The responsibility falls on the consumer ultimately, pay more get a decent service.

So how does he pay more? By ordering the service that will get it to him quicker?

The responsibility does not fall on the consumer, he paid the asking price and even gave instructions on how to deliver. Whether Amazon pass on the information or the delivery company ignore it is not the fault of the consumer.

The poor part is, Amazon will probably send DPD to come and pickup the return if he wants to send it back, and they will probably read the delivery instruction of pressing 05...

Soldato
I get all my parcels delivered to work, a lad called Scott who I work with signed for a parcel last week and they put his name down as Solis, I've give up with the amount of times they've said I've signed for something that I haven't.

Bunch of cowboys.

Soldato
MyHermes by another name. Or at least the same business model (get some bod with their old car to deliver and pay them 50p per delivery). Pay peanuts expect monkeys!

FFS, I wish people would stop assuming they're associated with one of the other major couriers just because they use a similar business model.

I bought beans from Asda today, Co Op also sell beans, that must mean that Co Op own Asda!

They're not Yodel, they're not Hermes.

Soldato
FFS, I wish people would stop assuming they're associated with one of the other major couriers just because they use a similar business model.

I bought beans from Asda today, Co Op also sell beans, that must mean that Co Op own Asda!

Enough people say it it suddenly becomes true.

I sat in a presentation with their national logistics manager at their Milton Keynes RDC last year as they asked us if we interested in putting a tender in to supply cover for 20 routes in there.

Some of their requirements:

All the drivers had to be supplied on a self employed basis, we couldn't employ people and put them in there as they would potentially be earning less than NMW.

We had to pay for compulsory drug and alcohol testing every so many months.

We had to supply staff actually in the RDC to supervise the loading and unloading of parcels, as well as provide support through out the day.

We had to have X amount of drivers on standby (self employed as well) to provide cover if the regular driver was off.

If we used the driver anywhere else for a period of 6 weeks I think it was or longer, they had to go through the (unpaid) induction course and initial compulsory drug and alcohol testing, as well as providing yet another disclosure.

They were expecting us to provide cover for the routes 7 days a week, with no driver working more than 60 hours a working week.

All for 80 odd pence a drop.

I didn't bother completing the tender process.

Associate
Had numerous deliveries from Amazon lately and miffed to find out that they will no longer come to the door with the parcel. Apparently they need permission to enter a garden, instead they sit in their van and phone the customer if there's a number to phone and you have to go out to them. One of the drivers asked me to deliver a parcel for a neighbour that he'd supposedly been trying to deliver for 3 days but didn't have a phone number for them. I took it off him, opened their gate and handed it to them. Utterly bizarre practice. I thought it was lazy drivers but Amazon confirmed it when I spoke to them.

The driver yesterday in his unmarked van told me he was with UKMail.

Soldato
Its sometimes worrying when they do things like this, but the convenience of not having to chase up your parcel at the depot it nice too.

Myhermes left a GTX980 behind my wheeliebin in the pouring rain. I wasn't impressed, but I was happy I had it that evening.

Soldato
Amazon: Hi Sir, our delivery driver tried to get to you today but he needed a code to get into your apartments.
Me: That's funny caus the parcel is going to an Amazon Locker. Oh, and I live in a house.

Two days later and still no parcel. Bonus: free month of Prime.

Soldato
Amazon: Hi Sir, our delivery driver tried to get to you today but he needed a code to get into your apartments.
Me: That's funny caus the parcel is going to an Amazon Locker. Oh, and I live in a house.

Two days later and still no parcel. Bonus: free month of Prime.

To be fair some flats are so small these days they might be mistaken for a set of lockers?

Soldato

And? Just because they're not these people they must be magically better than these people? I'm really not following your logic at all. Fact is you're dredging the lake as to who will accept will accept the tender and scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a driver with who will deliver at these prices, then you'll surely get a service to match.

But as the saying goes, time will tell. :rolleyes:

You do do get a choice as to delivery with Amazon though. Next day, regular or Super Saver? If you go for the budget option then expect to get a service to match? Not sure what the default delivery service for Prime is though...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But you do do get a choice as to delivery with Amazon. Next day, regular or Super Saver? If you go for the budget option then expect to get a service to match. Not sure what the default delivery service for Prime is though?

The default for Prime is Amazon logistics next day or indeed that evening if you live close enough to one of their distribution centers.

Soldato
Was about to say I haven't had a problem with them, as I generally haven't.
But I did have a bit of an issue with something that was delivered the other day. Tracking note was left half posted through the door saying it was left 2 doors up, but had the surname of next door neighbour on it, bit different forename.

Fortunately I know most of my neighbours and assumed it was my next door rather than 2 doors up, but doesn't inspire confidence when it has 2 or 3 bits of information wrong on the note!

Man of Honour
I live not far from their Rugley center so I'm hoping it won't be long before we get the prime now option as it's already available in Birmingham which is within the hour delivery IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom