Playing Monopoly this Christmas

Associate
OK so this could be described as self promotion, but I have no financial interest in it.... so I'm hoping this is allowed and I'm sorry if it's not :o Also, I recognise that I already posted at https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18695533 a couple of months ago, but after the overwhelming lack of any response there I suddenly thought the other day that perhaps GD would have been a better place after all. And it's closer to Christmas now, which certainly for me is the (only) time of year I would otherwise be likely to play Monopoly :D

Anyway... last Christmas I was playing the "Here & Now: The World Edition" of Monopoly. It's the one that includes the "electronic deal-making unit". I found myself thinking that it could be improved if there was an Android app that let each player have direct control of money on their phone. The banker would stop being overworked and distracted, and everyone could see their balance at a glance (and the history of payments!). It would just be more fun!

I did a search to see if anything like that existed but found nothing. There were quite a few "Monopoly payment systems" but they were all for use on a single phone. None would allow each player to control money on their own phone.

Coincidentally, at this time (about a year ago) I had just given my notice in to work, and was forming plans for a break before finding another job. So, I thought I might have a go at building it myself.

I went ahead and did that and I finally published it a few months ago. It's available (free and ad-free) on Google Play at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dhpcs.liquidity. You can also just go to http://liquidityapp.com which will redirect you to the Google Play listing :)

My interest in posting about it here now is twofold. I was hoping that after being published for over two months it would have had more than the ~70 downloads it has had as I write this. Either the idea is just not that good and I've been fooling myself, or I've not made a big enough effort to promote it. The biggest problem is the catch 22 of rankings on Google Play. Apps don't get ranked well (regardless of keywords) unless they've been downloaded a LOT. But how will people discover it if it's not ranked well, and so how will it get downloaded enough to get a good rank? My understanding is that some developers game the system by buying bulk bogus installs from networks of people who are conned/incentivised into doing so, but that is absolutely not something I would do. Aside from it being cheating, I'm not in this for money, so it just wouldn't make sense anyway.

So my questions to anyone who is willing to help (and thank you for reading this far!) are:

1. Is the idea just not that great, or is the problem just inadequate promotion?

2. If you genuinely like the sound of it I'd be delighted if you download it, give it a go, and perhaps even report back with feedback.

(I'm *not* looking for/asking for downloads from anyone who *knows* they won't use it but means well for me and intended to game the system on my behalf :eek:)

Thanks in advance! My interest here is just in trying to help people discover it. I'd get satisfaction from knowing something I've built was actually being used by people. :)

Man of Honour
1, imo. Mainly because banking isn't hard, secondly not many people play monopoly it's to long winded.

However did watch an interesting thing on youtube the other day, apparently the rules have change a lot if the years, and would like to try the original game, much more cut throat and bankrupt people far sooner. The landlord game

Last edited:
Soldato
1 imo. Board games' appeal is the nostalgia and tactility. I've never even been a fan of games that come with a DVD or whatnot. Having money in Monopoly, tiny individual pieces in Risk or missing cards in... well, any card game, is all part of the appeal despite it not being the most 'efficient' or 'risk free'.

Plus if I was playing this at Christmas good luck getting this to fly with nan involved!

Associate
I think its awesome. Just the other week I was playing monopoly, thinking how much easier it would be if the money was held electronically instead of faffing around with all the notes, and hassling the banker when you need to change money or collect £200 from passing go etc. Also avoids any fraud!

I have an android, but others in my household have iOS devices, would be great to see it built on iOS and have the app interact seamlessly across both platforms.

EDIT: I had a little play around, seems very well thought out and well made, I look forward to testing it out at Christmas. I do have one suggestion though, maybe you can add a transaction history for each player? Incase players transfer the wrong amount or simply just to track payments. Sorry if you've already included that feature, but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't test the app since I don't have an Android phone right now but the idea is nice.

However being a game snob I'd say drop it and just play Power Grid or something more interest...

Soldato
unfortunately table top gaming has moved on and there are far better experiences then monopoly, those who like the traditional monopoly will not be the sort of people to use an app. those that will use an app for a game are more likely to be aware of games such as Ticket to Ride and many other far better table top experiences including some that have official apps.

on a side note, I always wanted to be the banker growing up when I played monopoly as it adds much more to the game then just roll, buy and build.

Soldato
Everyone having their phone in their hands for the entire game sounds like a recipe for disaster. People would be flicking out of the app and getting distracted pretty quickly - plus if someone runs out of battery you'll end up having to move the game closer to a plug or shifting back to real money.

Soldato
Everyone having their phone in their hands for the entire game sounds like a recipe for disaster. People would be flicking out of the app and getting distracted pretty quickly - plus if someone runs out of battery you'll end up having to move the game closer to a plug or shifting back to real money.

I was thinking this what if someone gets whatsapped or txted. Or starts looking at facebook inbetween turns.

Phones away and on silent when playing board games it's the LAW!*

*Ok it's not the LAW but ......well you get what I mean

Soldato
1) £500 starts in middle of the board and all taxes/fines (but not purchases) to to that pot. Land on Free Parking and its yours (once pot taken, £500 from bank re-added to start off the new pot)
2) £400 for landing on GO

This is why your games last a week...

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
not many people play monopoly it's to long winded.

Yet another good one from Glaucus :p

Monopoly is one of the most successful board games of all time. Its still one of the best sellers world wide, even today despite its age. I just checked out of interest and its actually the top selling game on Amazon.

Interesting youtube video though :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We play it regularly as a family with our older teenagers.. TV off, music on, snacks, few drinks and a great evening.. Not sure we follow all the rules but it's near enough.

Sometimes it's not about the game, it's about spending some quality time with people away from the hypnotism that is the TV, internet and mobiles phones.

Associate
unfortunately table top gaming has moved on and there are far better experiences then monopoly, those who like the traditional monopoly will not be the sort of people to use an app. those that will use an app for a game are more likely to be aware of games such as Ticket to Ride and many other far better table top experiences including some that have official apps.

on a side note, I always wanted to be the banker growing up when I played monopoly as it adds much more to the game then just roll, buy and build.

This. The only roll to move games you should be playing are Formula D and, while I'll get slated for this by those in the know, Talisman.

Associate
OP
I have an android, but others in my household have iOS devices, would be great to see it built on iOS and have the app interact seamlessly across both platforms.

I'm not an Apple/iOS person but I would publish the protocol if anyone who is wanted to have a go at building for it. I might publish the protocol anyway, though I have other priorities at the moment.

EDIT: I had a little play around, seems very well thought out and well made, I look forward to testing it out at Christmas.

Thanks! I'd love to hear how you get on.

I do have one suggestion though, maybe you can add a transaction history for each player? Incase players transfer the wrong amount or simply just to track payments. Sorry if you've already included that feature, but I can't seem to find it.

Transaction history is already included :) To view the transaction history for all players, just tap (or pull) the blue bar at the bottom. Once you've got that panel open, you can swipe the all-players transaction history to the side to get to the individual player transaction histories (or tap the tab with their name).

Can't test the app since I don't have an Android phone right now but the idea is nice.

However being a game snob I'd say drop it and just play Power Grid or something more interest...

I did play Power Grid about four years ago but unfortunately can't really remember much of it.

I've built the app in a generic sort of way, so nothing about it is specific to Monopoly; I believe you could use it for Power Grid too. I just can't remember exactly how Power Grid is played, so I won't claim that is definitely the case.

Is there anything about Liquidity that makes it inappropriate for Power Grid?

I see your point, but we've not had that problem with the few games I've used it for so far. I guess it's going to vary depending on the context and group.

We have a few additional rules from standard which I think are quite common.

1) £500 starts in middle of the board and all taxes/fines (but not purchases) to to that pot. Land on Free Parking and its yours (once pot taken, £500 from bank re-added to start off the new pot)
2) £400 for landing on GO

Ah, interesting idea with 1). For a long time now we've done something close to that, by having taxes and fines go to free parking. The part of your rule I've not come across before is the idea of always seeding free parking with £500 from the bank. Might have to suggest that in my next game. Customising rules can get contentious though! We already do 2) in full :)

Back
Top Bottom