Pound for pound best point and shoot.

Associate
How do you find it?

I have a 5D MKIII as my main camera, but lugging that thing around all the time it gets aweful heavy. So have been looking out for a small camera with high quality pictures, around the 20MP mark (I print large) that I can take anywhere with me and not loose the quality of my 5D.

I have been tempted by the RX100IV, but curious to know how you find it?

Soldato
I love it - it is so portable, jeans pocket is no problem

I initially bought the LX100 as though the RX100 was too small when I tried them both out - loved the LX100 and served me well

It was only when I saw an RX100i on eBay and put an offer in that I bagged it and a week later put the LX100 up for sale

I actualky like the feel and manual dials of the LX100 but find the RX100 a lot more intuative - I miss the EVF (my Mk1 doesn't have one) and the wifi capability but think that a mk3 or 4 will be purchased next year at some point :)

Associate
I really love my Ricoh GR. I take it with me everywhere in my jacket pocket. The image quality is stellar, and the customisation/ergonomics is second to none. Obviously being restricted to 28mm (eq) is a huge limitation though, even with the crop 35mm and 50mm modes.

I think the RX100 IV is an engineering marvel. Fast zoom lens, relatively large sensor, internal 4K video with S-log, built in EVF and it's tiny.

The LX100 is a nice idea, but it really is thick and chunky.

Soldato
The RX100 MKI and MKII are probably the best for the money, but when you go up to the RXIII how does something like the Canon G7 X compare?

Then there is the Ricoh GR. It's lighter, thinner, much larger sensor, better dynamic range. But give up the flip screen, stabilisation and few other things.

It's an interesting market at the moment

Last edited:
Caporegime
How do you find it?

I have a 5D MKIII as my main camera, but lugging that thing around all the time it gets aweful heavy. So have been looking out for a small camera with high quality pictures, around the 20MP mark (I print large) that I can take anywhere with me and not loose the quality of my 5D.

I have been tempted by the RX100IV, but curious to know how you find it?

The RX100IV is horrendously overpriced... is it really 3x better than a MkI? Sony release a new model then price gouge it to hell and back as its so popular.

Caporegime
And that is why most profesionals use aperture or shutter priority with auto ISO, and autofocus. The only time auto ISO goes off is when the camera is ona. Tripod or I'm doing some manual flash work, the only time autofocus is off is if I have prefocussed or using Hyperfocal focusing.

I agree, a lot of photographers, especially beginners, seems to think it is cheating using a thing automatic. Nothing could e further form the truth. The more decisions the camera makes that results in better images, higher keeper rates, and more time to conce tarted on irritant aspects of the image the better. There is a strange set of people who think photography is about getting a manual technique that is as good as automatic exposure tools, and they take great joy in showing a well exposed , well focused photograph done entirely manually, irrespective of the subject, content, framing or composition.

You should first worry about your subject and how you are presenting it. Everything else is secondary, and any tools you have at your disposal to increase the odds of getting a pleasing presentation should be employed without fussing other technical details of how that image was derived.
A bit like people that insist on no PP as it's "cheating". That would explain why your photos are generally flat and don't "pop". People have been "editing" their photos since photographies inception, including the greats. Most of who probably weren't shooting fully manually.

That said I don't get on with auto ISO. I can see the use of it when you're shooting relatively statically (such as group shots at a wedding, or a football match), but not when the light is changing massively between shots sets of shots (travel photography for example). I generally use my ISO to control the shutter speed when in AV, slower speeds when shooting with a wide angle and lower light, faster speeds with longer lenses. With auto ISO it just doesn't seem to really take focal length into account, let alone subject speed. Maybe I need to play with it a bit more.

Associate
So I can't decide between a Sony RX MK 1,2 or 3 and the Lumix LX100.

I do have a Nikon D7000 but I want something I can just take with me without all the effort of kit, lenses etc.

I will pretty much be using it just for taking photos of family days out. So photos of the kids, a few landscapes, low light meals out etc.

What's the current opinion on the best between these? Price isn't too much of an issue but not wanting to spend £200 more for very slight increase in performance.

Thanks

Soldato
I Sold my LX100 for a second hand MkI and have no regrets (well, maybe one................)

The LX100 is a cracking camera but the RX100 is so much more portable, literally slips in your pocket

The regret I mentioned is not getting a Mk2 or 3 - In hindsight the EVF and wireless remote are two features I didn't appreciate i would miss so much

Associate
I Sold my LX100 for a second hand MkI and have no regrets (well, maybe one................)

The LX100 is a cracking camera but the RX100 is so much more portable, literally slips in your pocket

The regret I mentioned is not getting a Mk2 or 3 - In hindsight the EVF and wireless remote are two features I didn't appreciate i would miss so much

Thanks for the quick answer.

I am leaning towards the Sony purely because I can stick it in my pocket.

Associate
Ok, so after a bit more research I went for a completely different camera, the Canon G7X.

I know there is a MkII out next month but I'm not too fussed about the EVF and I managed to get this brand new for £297.99 delivered which is considerably cheaper than the Sony RX100 MkIII.

I won't be recording video and that appeared to be the main improvement of the Sony over the Canon so I think I will be happy with this.

Has anyone else used the G7X, what are your opinions of it?

Caporegime
A bit like people that insist on no PP as it's "cheating". That would explain why your photos are generally flat and don't "pop". People have been "editing" their photos since photographies inception, including the greats. Most of who probably weren't shooting fully manually.

That said I don't get on with auto ISO. I can see the use of it when you're shooting relatively statically (such as group shots at a wedding, or a football match), but not when the light is changing massively between shots sets of shots (travel photography for example). I generally use my ISO to control the shutter speed when in AV, slower speeds when shooting with a wide angle and lower light, faster speeds with longer lenses. With auto ISO it just doesn't seem to really take focal length into account, let alone subject speed. Maybe I need to play with it a bit more.

When the light is changing is when auto ISO is most useful! If you are shooting scenes with static lighting then manual is ok because you don't need to change ISO much, but when there is a big light difference from shot to shot auto ISO shines, it allows you to capture shots that would be impossible with manual ISO because you'd miss the shot when trying to change ISO.

Associate
I've been using a Sony Nex 5 aka the A5000 for the last year and I'm very impressed with it. It's really sparked an interest in photography with me. I've picked up a few extra lenses to go with it and am just about to upgrade to the A6000.

The drawback is there are no so many lenses for the system but for me this is more than made up for by the size of the thing and the quality of the images it produces.

If you are going that way then be on the lookout for a A5100 if possible as this is a lot closer to the A5000 for not much more.

Associate
I've been using a Sony Nex 5 aka the A5000 for the last year and I'm very impressed with it. It's really sparked an interest in photography with me. I've picked up a few extra lenses to go with it and am just about to upgrade to the A6000.

The drawback is there are no so many lenses for the system but for me this is more than made up for by the size of the thing and the quality of the images it produces.

If you are going that way then be on the lookout for a A5100 if possible as this is a lot closer to the A5000 for not much more.

I have 2 lens, the stanard 18-55, Pancake 16mm, 55-210mm, plus a SONY mic.
The videoing is great, the IQ is great. I would like to get the LCD electronic view finder as bright sun light makes the rear LCD almost impossible to see.
Only problem is the LCD electronic view finder is over £250, almost as much as what I paid for the NEX 5R !

In the future I would love to get the A6000 as I can still use my lens.

For me the DSLR still rule supreme as the controls, ease of use are much bettter than the NEX 5R.
Though the NEX is easy to put in your pocket / bag, unobtrusive, distreet.

Back
Top Bottom