Wife wants to get into APP creation, where to start?

Associate
This thread reminds me of how everyone's keen on being a game or app developer until they realise you need a decent grasp of maths/physics.

For a serious recommendation: I think a good start would be to make a website on the topic (and I mean actually make from scratch, don't try to rush it with wordpress or some front-end framework). Improve the website, refine how it looks using popular techniques or styles you've seen around, make it interactive. Doing it little by little you'll either see the spark catch or it'll fizzle and you'll get bored. The big advantage is that you build up an in-depth knowledge of how it works from the ground up - essential fundamentals.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your in for a big shock if you think you can just pick up app/game programming easily, it can be a tough learning curve, and you have to be very passionate and have that kind of mind.

I would personally look for an engine, I can't say I am clued up as to what's out there, I know Unity a bit, but that generally for 2D/3D game creation although you may be able to hack out an app or two with it.

Also depends on how ambitious you are, what kind of app, do you want multi player capability, if so who's going to host it, are you any good at graphics, buttons, icons, loading screen, textures, backgrounds, what about sounds, background music, sound effects. The list goes on and on, it's a tough business also very competitive.

Soldato
...are there any coders who aren't self taught? I thought that's part of a definition of a decent coder.

You can certainly self-teach (pretty much anything), but having someone that knows what they're doing pointing you in the right direction is never a bad thing!

Echoing the last post, I would look for some kind of framework (NOT javascript, it's bloody awful and not how you should start programming). Maybe Xamarin if you are ok with investing a few month's subs into it as a taster.

Soldato
...are there any coders who aren't self taught? I thought that's part of a definition of a decent coder.

Not sure how it relates too be a good programmer, I think the need too always learn more/new things is what matters, where you start is not that important. I know a lot of self starters that are very much meh, and some that are amazing. At the same time I know people that only started form some course but amazing developers now.

Soldato
I've been learning Java as I wanted to make an Android app. I've found it quite hard to learn on my own, a lot of the time I could really use someone to quickly ask a question that would clear something up but as I don't have that I can spend hours on a problem that's actually quite simple.

I started a few years ago, and have gone several months doing nothing sometimes, dipping in and out. I bought a Java headstart book and got about half way through. Watched an absolute ton of YouTube videos. Mainly TheNewBoston ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAbQgLGKd3Y&list=PL6gx4Cwl9DGBsvRxJJOzG4r4k_zLKrnxl ) and Derek Banas ( https://www.youtube.com/user/derekbanas ).

I'm sure there's plenty of people that would pick it up faster than I've done but I've struggled through with bloody mindedness so it's possible. I've released three apps, the first a simple free tea timer (removed now), the second was a UAV timer for 50p and my latest is an Aeropress, V60 and French Press coffee brewing app for £1.99 which is doing better than I expected but certainly more lemonade stand than any kind of actual income (I do it for fun and it basically pays for my own bags of coffee).

Basically, I think what I'm trying to say is that if she wants to do this app it's going to be a huge and serious investment in time. It's a lot of things combined, from learning a new language and how computers operate (understanding memory allocation etc) through to learning design patterns as well as planning and finally doing the actual coding as well as a bunch of other stuff. Android Studio can be a pain to set up and learn but if she's already a bit of a geek then she'll be able to get through it with determination.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom