**Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini Tower Server - Owner Thread**

Soldato
They still are, I ordered the Xeon version on Monday and it arrived yesterday! :D

Search for "dell t20 cashback" to find places with stock.

Associate
These look like one heck of a buy. My old N40 Microserver is showing its age.

I'm looking at the lower spec machine and then putting in the xeon myself

Soldato
Ah, that's the site I've been using, but with the cashback it doesn't seem worth it when the Lenovo is £100 odd cheaper. Think I'll just buy the lower end one to start with and work it from there. Ta though.

Associate
I decided to go with the T20 and got 3 2tb reds also arriving and a 240gig ssd for the os etc to sit on.

Can't wait to finally start backing data up correctly and have a decent local web server for work to be done on.

Soldato
OP
Well I've got mine setup, just basic running Win7 for file share and RSS downloading.

Much faster than my age old N36L.

My plan is to add more drives, I have 1x250gb ssd for OS and swap, 1x 3tb and 2x 2tb.

I'm going to add another cage for 3 3.5" hdd's and use a power cable extension and raid card to add the sata ports.

Should be doing this within the next month or so as I need more storage.

Associate
Its killing me having to wait till the 4th for my t20 to be shipped out :(, Just sat here looking at 3 hdds/1 ssd lol.

Regarding ram mine comes with 4GB I wouldn't mind upping this, What sort of ram is compatible ?

Soldato
Its killing me having to wait till the 4th for my t20 to be shipped out :(, Just sat here looking at 3 hdds/1 ssd lol.

Regarding ram mine comes with 4GB I wouldn't mind upping this, What sort of ram is compatible ?

I upped mine to 32GB using 2 x KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G kits.

Soldato
I saw that. Lots of people seem to have go it working with 5.1 and 5.5 so im not overly worried. Just wondered if anyone had 6.0 working on it.

Also does anyone know if I can migrate the two vms form my N54l with 5.1 on it over to the T20 with ESXI 6.0

Soldato
Just ordered one of these. Anyone got ESXI 6.0 working on theirs?

I have the T20 working with ESXI 6.0 with no issues. You can follow the instructions in post 7 from the link above but download the ESXI 6.0 from Dell instead of the 5.x image.

I have also added an extra dual port NIC (EXPI9402PTBLK) again no issues. This is my first time playing with ESXI and I have found it a painless experience.

Associate
Will be keeping my eye on this thread. Any owner experiences would be appreciated.

Looking to upgrade the N40L to something a bit more power efficient with some more CPU grunt.

Back
Top Bottom