Need a dehumidifier - Preferable From Amazon

Associate
OP
Damn that looks amazing. I've tried all over where I live and family and am coming up short unfortunately.

I'm definitely leaning towards a more industrial unit now.

Cheers Russinating

Associate
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DD122-Desiccant-Simple-Dehumidifier/dp/B00474K8SY

Don't think you will find better for the price.
I would shy away from the compressor type, the desiccant ones are far superior, especially this time of year.

I have used both types, the one linked above is witchcraft like in the amount of water it takes out the air. Also as a plus, the air it expels is nice and warm vs pretty much room temp air from a compressor type.

Soldato
I would shy away from the compressor type, the desiccant ones are far superior, especially this time of year.

I have used both types, the one linked above is witchcraft like in the amount of water it takes out the air. Also as a plus, the air it expels is nice and warm vs pretty much room temp air from a compressor type.

I got this one on the strength of the reviews. I've nothing to compare it to, but I'm pleased with it :)

EDIT - I got the one with the moving vent, but it was £129 at the time :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have yes, the one in the link is the "simple" version the video shows the mk5 which has moving louvres and an anti-bac filter, not worth the extra £40 imo.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-Desiccant-Classic-Dehumidifier-Ioniser/dp/B008BZVCVM

I have a Meaco 10L compressor type and it needs emptying every few days.
The EcoAir one, I have in the kitchen which is very cold (13c now) and needs emptying daily.
The Meaco compressor type will struggle to hold 65% humidity, the EcoAir will get it into the 50% range without breaking a sweat.
Actually realy easy to over dry the air and make it uncomfortable, you just have to set it how you like it and let it do it's thing.

The Eco-Air was £99 on cyber monday, wish I bought another at that price!

Soldato
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DD122-Desiccant-Simple-Dehumidifier/dp/B00474K8SY

Why would you say they are better?

Associate
A compressor type will spend most of it's time defrosting it's self if the ambiant air temperature is not in the high teens. While it is defrosting it is not dehumidifying. So just wasting electricity.

A dessicant type will dehumidify even at very low temperatures just as good as if the air was 20c, and as it has no coils to freeze up, spends all it's time actually dehumidifying the air.
Also due to how dessicant types work (a wheel of dessicant dried using a small heater) the air it expells is warmer than the air it sucks in. So it helps warm the room up as well as drying the air.

I have one of each and can safely say, the dessicant is leagues ahead in what it pulls out of the air (and thats what we buy them for!)

Associate
I would pick up a hygrometer as well, (there cheap) If you're using it to dry laundry then you can just stick it on max in a closed room till the clothes are dry.

A hygrometer lets you see just how damp the room is and how much of a difference a dehumidifier is making.
Without one you will end up constantly turning the dehumidifer up, thinking it's not working much, and you end up just over drying the air.

Fact is a dessicant dries so fast it just doesnt need to run much to keep a handle on things once the initial dampess is taken care of.
At least with a hygrometer you can dial it in how you want it and leave it alone.

Bye Bye condensation on windows etc.

Associate
It's all I had for years as well, if the room it's in is warm there generaly fine.
My kitchen is cold and 68% humidity right now, and beacuse it's cold the compressor type just cant get it down any lower.

I'm sure your house is warmer than my 13c, it's mostly a case of, if what you have works, great.
If your buying new today, then dessicant wins. Unless price is an issue. For example you can get a compressor type for £79.99 and it would be fine for most peoples situations, but if a new buyer can stretch to £129 then that EcoAir is a monster.

Been using a Meaco DD8L for past three years and can't fault it. Have economy 7 heating which doesn't warm the house enough so windows etc are damp in the mornings without the dehumidifier. Generally run it overnight and works a treat. Also used to dry washing when its raining. Highly recommended and very quiet on lowest setting.

Back
Top Bottom