Shed some light, on your sheds..

Associate
Hi,

I'm in the market for a shed, I'm thinking 10'x12' with windows/door on the long side, however I have no idea whether to build one myself or buy a self assembly one.

What have you done, and what are your findings?

I'm sure I've seen some quality sheds on here :)

Soldato
There is a big thread on here somewhere if you search. I think the general consensus was that Tiger sheds is a good bet for a decent built shed at a reasonable price. Mine is holding up really well, but the only complaint is the felt they give you with it is useless, but I think this is probably the case for most companies. Factor in that you will probably need to replace it after a year.

Associate
Buying against building one depends on your diy skills. What ever route you decide to take if you can afford it go for tongue and groove for the walls. I would also not have a window to increase security. I would also beef up the door and frame - use Coach bolts on the locks/hinges and thick 22mm ply internally on the door and surrounding frame work. For the roof again all depends on personal preference I have just put 3 layer felt system on mine. Should last 20-25 years if not more.

Last edited:
Associate
I know flee bay had some good discounted 19mm tongue and grooved pressure treated sheds, depending upon your budget of course. I got a local wood yard to build me a solid 19mm one, No OSB boards, heavy duty roof felt with security window to let a little natural light in for £700 @ 10 x 10.

Soldato
I know flee bay had some good discounted 19mm tongue and grooved pressure treated sheds, depending upon your budget of course. I got a local wood yard to build me a solid 19mm one, No OSB boards, heavy duty roof felt with security window to let a little natural light in for £700 @ 10 x 10.

Thats a great price. Certainly worth asking around local places.

I am a joiner so would have loved to build my own, but just needed to get something quick and with work constraints it made it difficult finding the time.

If you do build one i'd factor in the cost to rent out a gas nail gun. I built a big workshop a few years back for a customer and nailing all the cladding on by hand is not fun. my arms were aching for a week after.

Soldato
Also if you do build one wrap roofing felt round it horizontally before you put T&G on and make sure felt is just below floor level.

Did it on a garage I built years ago and it is still going strong .

My brothers shed

410950276.jpg

410950277.jpg

We also put lead on for window sill and over join for two panes of 6mm toughened glass.

Being lazy he never put gutters on it - without me as foreman he only does half a job

Associate
I've found that pond liner works well as a shed roof covering. I replaced my felt that ripped in high wind with cheap 3 ply pond liner. Cost me about £10 on an 8 x 6 shed that I use as a pond filter house. Lasted a few years now and still looks like it did when I bought it. The shed is just a cheap supersaver overlap jobby but I can't fault it. Does what I wanted it to do and hasn't fallen apart. We get some very strong winds here every year and it survives every time. I don't think it looks too bad either but that's just me and what I use it for. Think it cost less than £150.

This IS overclockers though so it wouldn't surprise me to find that most people have 20ft+ sheds that cost the equivalent of a car with aircon, bar area and home cinema in.

ZE6ai0x.jpg.png

Back
Top Bottom