Upgrades more expensive than new contracts..

Soldato
Want to upgrade wife's mobile and it seems that all upgrade offers are more expensive than getting a new line...
Anyone else noticed that ?

I could cancel and then move number around and get a new contract buto don't want to have a credit check on my account at the moment ( about to get a mortgage and not sure if that would affect it...)

Man of Honour
Hah used to annoy me on voda click on upgrade options and comes up with something like "We have the perfect deal for you" which is the exact same allowances as my current plan at £1/m more than I currently pay.......................

Caporegime
Everything is like this. The best deals are always for new customers.

Just move, it won't affect your credit rating or your mortgage (selecting to upgrade will trigger a new contract and a credit check anyway).

Man of Honour
^^ Used to get some better deals back in the day though - strangely right now I've got exactly the same options as the new customer deals but usually I'd be a right mug to pick most of the "upgrade" options. Years back used to get some options like pay 50p/m extra and get a load more data allowance and/or the option of picking the higher tier tariffs but with say 10% off for the first 6 months of the contract.

Soldato
Highly depends on how good a customer you are but i agree, renewal deals are generally awful and are really there for those who are looking for a no hassle upgrade. To echo the credit rating stuff from Skeeter, this will not impact your ability to get a mortgage - the new rules since last year are a much bigger barrier than the credit check is as an aside. You need to trigger quite a few checks for it to be an issue and even then it's unlikely to affect it considering the circumstances of the check.

Soldato
OP
thanks guys.
will look on new contracts then .

just need to convince wife to change from o2 lol :D she would like to stay with them which is possible but involves operators swapping back and forth ;D

Soldato
Not sure if that is true, i've upgraded my 3 contract 3 times and i have never seen a credit check for any of them.

This...

I just upgraded my own contract and added my partner's number to my Vodafone account (moved from EE) and didn't get checked for either.

OP - just ring them and get through to retentions, Vodafone were able to beat their new customer deals and even the online 3rd party retailers for me, although that doesn't necessarily mean O2 will be able to.

Associate
I worked in vodafone about 2-3 years ago over the christmas period, and opening a new account (not sure if it applied to a new line under an existing account because its been a while) required a credit check, almost everyone got through but I did have one or two that didnt get through the credit check and had to be denied a contract.

Soldato
OP
OP - just ring them and get through to retentions, Vodafone were able to beat their new customer deals and even the online 3rd party retailers for me, although that doesn't necessarily mean O2 will be able to.

might give it a try but doubt that I will get anywhere with o2 ;D

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Vodafone can give absolutely ridiculous deals out if you get to the right people and fit the profile. Last year I was paying something stupid that worked out as an effective £14 a month for 4gb/unlimited/unlimited with 4g and spotify premium included.

Flat out told me they couldn't do it again, regardless of how far I went with cancellation. Now paying £21 for 6gb/Unlimited/Unlimited 4g and spotify premium, still better than anywhere else factoring in Spotify.

Soldato
Always been the case, left Three sim only yesterday but they actually did offer S6 for free with 4GB for £28 which isn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom