The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Associate
I'm now on a major rewatch binge, or as I'm calling it the watch everything again now I have HD rewatch since I treated myself to my first HDTV even though it was just a HD ready set and only cost £129 which was an advantage since my BD player started giving up the ghost and I decided to do the poor mans multi region option since if I can get a BD player that can be flashed with its zone A firmware and thus made into a zone A player then I'll be home free for around £130 (because I'd need to get an HDMI splitter so both players can be plugged in) and I can add the sets I have that only have zone A only blu rays back into the rewatch queue.

Associate
Not that impressed with 2015 really, I guess my top 3 would be:

Seraph of the end
One punch man
Kantai collection

A few potential good shows starting next week, nice to have some more Gate too.

Soldato
Demonix, tbh I'd be tempted to just pick up a Panasonic multi-region BD/DVD player for £149 rather than fiddling around ...

anyway ... got my Christmas and birthday anime now so I can now produce a final list ...

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya Collectors edition (how the **** do you get it out the tight sleeve though!)
Rail Wars (DVD)
Tamayura ~Hitotose~ (DVD)
The Last Exile ~ Fam, The Silver Wing ~ (BD) pt1 & pt2
Ghost in the Shell Arise (BD) 1+2 & 3+4
Seitokai no Ichizon (BD) season 1 & 2
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! (BD)
We Without Wings Ltd Edition (BD)
Ben-To (BD)
One Week Friends (BD)

Not Anime, but from Japan, I also got myself the new Nogizaka46 music video collection BD boxset :)

Last edited:
Soldato
:DHappy Birthday M8:D

ta :)

Favourite anime from 2015 ... difficult as I know I'll forget some ....

Hibike! Euphonium - absolutely loved this coming from a musical background myself.

Show By Rock
Shirobako - second cour was in 2015
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku
Plastic Memories
Ore Monogatari!!
Heavy Object
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa ****ai ga Umatteiru
Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai

(Hmmm latest Firefox on OSX doesn't let me edit a post on here, shows no text in the window to be edited :()

Associate
Demonix, tbh I'd be tempted to just pick up a Panasonic multi-region BD/DVD player for £149 rather than fiddling around ...

I'm certain that Panasonic BD players can't run geo locked discs (I'm certain someone mentioned not being able to run the 2015 released sentai discs) and the only possible player that could do them was the LG player at £169 (and it would have cost the same or even more if I purchased the player and then got it modified) which is why I went the 2 player direction since all I have to remember is what player to switch to and what remote to use.

Soldato
Interesting; do you know of a master list of affected disks?

I ask as One Week Friends from my list above is a 2015 Sentai release but seems to playback ok on my Panasonic BD when it is set to Region A. The back of the box does indicate that it is "intended to function solely on playback devices within USA and Canada"

Soldato
(Hmmm latest Firefox on OSX doesn't let me edit a post on here, shows no text in the window to be edited :()

I've been getting that on windows too... I'm kind of blaming ublock as it seems to block some things that don't 'need' blocking but I'm too lazy to check lol. But then again this recent update to 43.x on has been pretty buggy.

PS (belated) happy birthday :o

Associate
Interesting; do you know of a master list of affected disks?

I ask as One Week Friends from my list above is a 2015 Sentai release but seems to playback ok on my Panasonic BD when it is set to Region A. The back of the box does indicate that it is "intended to function solely on playback devices within USA and Canada"

A master list isn't required since every Sentai filmworks and Maiden Japan blu-ray release in 2015 is geo locked (change the region to B and it'll still work since they stopped depending to the standard region locking, since the geo locked discs I have work on the Philips BDP2110 which is a zone B locked machine).

I also have little faith when it comes to Panasonic players since the drive in a VCR/DVD system I had decided to stop working (the same should be said for Toshiba considering the failure rate I've had with the drive on the BDX1200 and the SD270E I was keeping as a backup killing itself in the time it wasn't used) which is why I initially decided not to chose a panasonic BD player (the geo locking issue was another, but I'll have to go through my posting history since I'm certain someone mentioned not being able to run a geo locked disc on a modded panasonic bd player) and then went for the two player setup since it was the cheaper option.

Soldato
I bought all the English translated mangas.

Ooh! May I ask where from? I need something new to read now as the next volume of Attack on Titan isn't out until March now :(

Just started watching One Punch Man and it's brilliant so I would love to read it as well. Just finished reading Death Note volumes 1-6. I was going to buy all of the Dragonball volumes but my local Forbidden Planet seems to have a few missing. Though I did get Dragonball Z Kai on bluray for Xmas so I've been watching that again. I know it cuts out a lot of the filler but it's still good. Currently watching the Freiza saga, he's still my favourite bad guy but Cell with his arrogance comes close.

Soldato
Last year I went to Japan for a holiday, which got me looking at the Anime/Manga world a bit more strongly than I had before. I'd never really thought about watching/reading it as it seemed a very involved world, and not knowing where or what to start with was a bit of an issue.

I picked up the first volume of Death Note on a whim as it was one I'd heard of and it didn't look too long should I get into it. I think I finished reading the entire series in a month or so. Since then I've been looking for more stuff to read and watch and have settled on (with the help of the gf) reading One Piece (I'm up to volume 24 at the moment, gf has all up to 60 or so) and watching a lot of the shorter, already finished animes (Hellsing, Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop, along with One Punch Man).

Outside of Bleach/Naruto/DBZ, are there any that would be considered essential reading/watching for someone semi-new to the world?

Soldato
Outside of Bleach/Naruto/DBZ, are there any that would be considered essential reading/watching for someone semi-new to the world?

Can't comment on manga, more of an anime person but in my opinion you should at least watch one from each of the main genres - these would be my suggestions, there are others most likely.

• mecha: an old gundam series such gundam wing plus a new gundam series such as gundam 00 or gundam build fighters (fair few are free on official youtube channel)
  • mecha/slice of life/psychological: evangelion (even though personally I think it's over rated and prefer rahxephon)
  • magical girl: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
  • harem comedy: to love ru or rosario to vampire
  • slice of life: A--- the natural (we can't say the first name due to it being a competitor)
  • monsters/demons: claymore or elfen lied
  • magical fighting: fate stay night
  • Card game: Yu gi oh
  • (edit how could I forget this one...) tsundere: shakugan no shana or familiar of zero
Honourable mentions
Eureka Seven
Digimon
beelzebub
hunter x hunter (2011)
Macross

There's likely more the list could go on and on and on

Last edited:
Soldato
I've recently got back into anime again after a long time.

Stuff I've watched recently...

One Punch Man (season one)
Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (ongoing)
Knights of Sidonia (two seasons)
God Eater (ongoing)
Yowamushi Pedal (two seasons)
Dragonball Super (not sure why I still watch this it's awful)

In the queue to watch...

Sword Art Online
Elfen Lied

Back
Top Bottom