What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The new Orient Monarch looks amazing for an elegant casual/dress watch. The price is great too and there doesn't appear to be any equal in this style and price. Hand wind only movement too.

http://wornandwound.com/2015/12/14/orient-monarch-review/

If it had wire lugs I'd be all over it instead of wanting the Hamilton Navy Pioneer. Just can't bring myself to the price of the Hamilton as IMO it doesn't represent its RRP as a whole.

Soldato
Regarding sizes, 38mm and 42mm as per Christopher Ward. Is this the size of the face excluding the case?

Missed out on a 42mm Trident, however some fantastic prices on 38mm.

I have a C3 however would like a watch with a bit more chunkiness' to it and wonder if I could get away with a 38mm Trident.

Going for a birthday lunch today so may pop in to some jewlers to try on some different watches to see.

What are peoples thoughts on 38mm vs 42mm?

Soldato
Depends on your wrist size and personal preference - I like 42 as a minimum but have a few 40mm

The watches smaller than that I rarely wear as i just don't like the look of them on my wrist. The Nite I posted earlier is a 51mm case case :p

Soldato
Regarding sizes, 38mm and 42mm as per Christopher Ward. Is this the size of the face excluding the case?

Missed out on a 42mm Trident, however some fantastic prices on 38mm.

I have a C3 however would like a watch with a bit more chunkiness' to it and wonder if I could get away with a 38mm Trident.

Going for a birthday lunch today so may pop in to some jewlers to try on some different watches to see.

What are peoples thoughts on 38mm vs 42mm?

As TB notes, it's very much down to how the watch wears on your wrist, and also how you wear it. A watch head on a metal bracelet will often appear smaller than the exact same watch head on a leather strap, simply due to how the head blends in/stands out from the strap.

I've a 40mm steel sports watch, and that seems to suit my wrist just fine, but I've also a 34mm '70s Longines 'dress watch' and that doesn't look swamped on my wrist either.

The thickness of the case itself (height) plays a more important role for me - if it stands too proud, any case diameter seems to look utterly ridiculous.

Soldato
Thanks guys.

The c3 is 39mm and a metal bracelet which I think wears well on my wrist. The trident will be a 38mm on a leather, it is also slightly higher off the wrist.

I am going into Yarm later for a bite to eat so will pop into a few shops. I assume the shop assistant will have some knowledge of the size of faces on offer in the shop?

Thanks

Soldato
No guarantees with sales staff, but hopefully the answer will be 'yes'!

Think also what you'll typically be wearing with it - formal shirt sleeves can be a bit of a pain with some of the higher-sitting watches, if you prefer to have the watch fully/partially concealed. Some like to wear theirs in front of their cuff, so always visible.

Don't worry too much about the leather straps - you can easily change these out for other colours and textures etc. (I know it's obvious, but it's easy to think 'The brown looks a bit crap on this one').

Associate
Regarding case sizes this is 41mm and i have skinny wrists. Personally i wouldn't go any less than this. Then again i wear some G shocks for beaters which are around 50mm so this seems a little small when i put it on.

Soldato
Thanks for that, so is the size of that 41mm the outside diameter of the whole watch?

See to me that looks slightly too big, however again personal preference. I assume the 38mm on a trident is the actual watch face and then the case size on top?

May just order one anyway to see what I think, can always send it back if I am not 100% happy with it.

Soldato
I've been meaning to put some more details about the Omega Seamster Aqua Terra Bond edition watch that I got for christmas, but then I came across this review which describes and photographs it far better than I could!

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/james-bond-aqua-terra-review-2121178.html

Loving this watch - I've barely worn anything else since Christmas! The dual straps (not mentioned in the review) also make it really versatile.

Back
Top Bottom