Advice pls, approved used car supplied with wrong spec

Soldato
What part of DSR do you not get? Hence why in my opening post, I specifically mentioned it.

What's DSR got to do with it? (Which incidentally doesn't exist anymore)

You would have a legal comeback for being missold the goods, (exactly the same as the OP's dad) but by your argument, it would still be partly your fault for not making 100% sure the goods were correct in the first place

Moreover, this is just getting silly now.

I disagree, it got silly at post 9

Caporegime
The 5% apportion is because the buyer bought without fully knowing. Buyer beware. Which is all over the internet, particularly on car forums, most especially when purchasing second hand cars. But apparently not here on OCUK. 5% is minimal blame anyway. 95% dealers fault is plenty.

Buyer beware buying an AUC from a BMW main dealer? No, stop being ridiculous.

If he checked and double checked, and in writing, with the dealer that it had this option and they confirmed it did it is 100% the dealer's fault.

A refund or replacement that had the spec i wanted would be the only acceptable outcome if it were me.

Soldato
Don't most cars use Xenon headlights these days? Isn't it HID's that are the up market option?

Is there a possible communication error here??

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29019171 said:
HID = High Intensity Discharge, ie Xenon headlights.

Conventional headlights are Halogen, not Xenon.

I have Xenon filament bulbs in my 20 year old cars. (Nightbreakers)

The problem here is that the same phrase is frequently used interchangeably to describe two completely different technologies.

Soldato

The problem here is that the same phrase is frequently used interchangeably to describe two completely different technologies.

:confused:

Osram Nightbreakers are Halogen, nothing Xenon about them?

HID and Xenon are pretty much interchangeable terms, as you'll rarely find a HID system that isn't Xenon gas bulbs, nor will you likely find Xenon gas bulbs on a non HID system. HID tends to see more usage aftermarket, where manufacturers use Xenon to describe them.

Caporegime

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/news...t-breaker-unlimited-product-details/index.jsp

Product features
The most powerful OSRAM halogen automotive lamp

:confused::confused:

PS Xenon is a gas. How exactly are you nightbreaker bulbs making their filament out of a gas ? Just when we thought this thread couldn't get any more bizarre !!!

Last edited:
Soldato
PS Xenon is a gas. How exactly are you nightbreaker bulbs making their filament out of a gas ? Just when we thought this thread couldn't get any more bizarre !!!

No one is suggesting the Xenon is used as a filament!. Many tungsten halogen lamps use a noble gas such as Xenon or Krypton mixed with the halogen in the lamp envelope around the tungsten filament

This is completely different to Xenon arc lamps which use an electrical arc passing through the Xenon itself to generate light. The Xenon lights used on cars closer to metal halide lamps than pure Xenon.... they just have Xenon added to produce some light while the metal salts get up to working temperature.

Soldato
OP
Will have an update for you all tomorrow, sounds like a deal is being done...

BMW have held their hands up. Still a bit annoying after the lengthy and detailed search he's had over the last few months.

Soldato
:confused::confused:

FYI, HID (sometimes referred to as "Xenon" lamps) don't have a filament.

They are an arc lamp filled with Xenon gas & metal salts. The gas supports the initial strike and then the salts are heated to extemely high temperatures turning to plasma which is what creates the very high intensity (the "HI" in HID) blue/white light.

Soldato
We were waiting for BMW to confirm the deal since Friday - I'll check in with my dad and find out if he had heard back from them...

They've likely made a loss on this.

I wonder what the chances are of them offering your dad some sort of large cash back instead of taking the car back.

Back
Top Bottom