Temperature Issue - BMW E46

Soldato
Right, I replaced both stats and the coolant, all was well, car was running absolutely fine.

Now, I've noticed that the car takes a little while longer than usual to warm up, but the temp gauge needle does eventually hit 12 o'clock. I suspect there's air in the cooling system.

Does anyone know how to bleed the system on these E46's?

jack the front up and start the bleed procedure again.

I've never had air issue using this method.

Associate
OP
Turn heater onto highest heat setting, set to the lowest fan speed, start engine, remove expansion tank cap, slowly open and close the bleed screw on the top hose near the expansion tank until it stops bubbling.

1. Turn climate control to highest temp & switch fan on to lowest speed setting
  2. Start engine
  3. Remove expansion tank cap
  4. Slowly open bleed screw until it stops bubbling

...and this is a tried and tested method that you've used?

Associate
  1. Turn climate control to highest temp & switch fan on to lowest speed setting
  2. Start engine
  3. Remove expansion tank cap
  4. Slowly open bleed screw until it stops bubbling

...and this is a tried and tested method that you've used?

Yep. Done on about 5 e46's including mine 3 weeks ago.

*edit* Just read that yours is a diesel so should be the same? Only ever bled the systems on petrol e46's

Last edited:
Soldato
I replaced both 'stats on my 330d a few weeks ago.

There are three bleed screws on mine. One on the expansion tank, one on the pipe leading to the EGR stat, and one on the EGR stat. My procedure for bleeding was as below.

Note: Car must be cold to avoid scolding.

1. Open up all three bleed screws and remove expansion cap
2. Start car (don't be scared, but keep hands away from moving parts ;) )
3. Fill the expansion tank right up past max until fluid starts to come out of the expansion tank bleed screw, close the bleed screw.
4. Keep filling until fluid comes out of the bleed screw leading to the EGR stat. Once you see fluid, close the bleed screw.
5. Repeat until fluid comes out of the EGR stat. You might need to put the expansion cap back on and compress the coolant pipes to get it moving.
6. Take the car for a long drive at motorway speeds, varying revs and get the car up to full temperature.
7. Leave the car to cool down fully, check and level the coolant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Holy thread bump Batman etc....

I think one of the thermostats is going on my 330d as it's not getting up to temperature until about 45 mins after driving. Anyone got a guide on how to replace the offending thermostat?

Associate
The thermostat in my newly acquired 330ci was shot, pretty much open all the time, replaced it and it gets up to temp fine.

A good way of properly monitoring the temperature is to hold the trip reset button down for 10 seconds with ignition on or engine running, then keep tapping it till it reaches 19, then let go, it'll say off then tap it again until you see 7, release and the temp will be on the right, 0093 = 93 degrees c.

Other things can be done, just google hidden menu E46.

Back
Top Bottom