Vacuums for animal hair

Soldato
Miele Cat & Dog if you can stretch your budget a bit further.
Our ex-farmer down the way is a crazy cat man (14+ of the little things, who keep the area rat-free) who isn't really able to vacuum often, although we help out when we can.
His carpets are THICK with matted-in fur.

Would this Miele thing work on those too, do you reckon?

Soldato
Just got one of these even though we don't have pets the amount of my wife's hair that it removed from our bedroom carpet was staggering! it is a brilliant product and I've found myself vacuuming much more often!

Hmmm I think I need one as well. It amazes me my missus has any hair left on her head the amount ends up in the carpet.

Associate
Dyson Animal DC50 over here. Yeah it costs but it definitely takes care of all the hair from my two long haired Maine Coons.

You can pretty much rebuild the entire thing using their Variant Spares programme, as I found out after having to replace the head after sucking up a large quantity of litter :(

Soldato
OP
Ended up getting the Vax Air pet for £90

It pretty much filled the chamber after the first hoover which made me feel like a right grot bag!

but very happy with it so far and i like the little pet attachment for doing the stairs can give them a right good roughing up

Soldato
One thing I will say is that VAX cleaners are ******* CRAP!!!!!
From 800w right up to 1400w, special 'designed for pet hair' and all manner of fancy attachments... waste of money, the lot of 'em!
why?

Ended up getting the Vax Air pet for £90

It pretty much filled the chamber after the first hoover which made me feel like a right grot bag!

but very happy with it so far and i like the little pet attachment for doing the stairs can give them a right good roughing up

ive got one as well and the suction on it is very good indeed. Its not perfect though, silly head mechanism that sometimes tries to click back in to the vertical position when you are maneuvering around corners and the hose is pathetically short - i ended up buying the extendable hose attachement. Also the cutoff on the head motor is a bit sensitive, can sometimes stop the brushes if you hang around on short pile carpets. Minor complaints though (with the exception of the hose!). fantastic value when you can pick them up for that price.

Soldato
The vertical locks have all failed on ours, hoses clog and render the 'cyclone technology' useless, filters give up and die rather quickly, accessory anchors often break, most of the main brushes have dead spots, and their rotary brush attachments (mainly the one for cleaning stairs) will just about always die on me within the first three uses.
I also find Vax uprights have the narrowest pickup footprint, which is silly given how wide the main bodies are - I've always had to get the attachments out to do the 3-4" around the skirting boards.
Lastly, supposed 'Pet' designed cleaners really don't pick up enough hair - I get more up if I scrape the carpet with a squeegee!

We have had Vaxes because the Ttaskmistress's mum had a couple in the 1980s and always said they were good... Thankfully, we're now waiting for delivery of that Samsung, see what that's like.

Soldato
Well, the Samsung one arrived today... The Mrs is getting to work as we speak.
She was already defeated by how the brush stops when you lock it upright.

Certainly feels nice and much better built than the Vaxes we've had!

Soldato
Our ex-farmer down the way is a crazy cat man (14+ of the little things, who keep the area rat-free) who isn't really able to vacuum often, although we help out when we can.
His carpets are THICK with matted-in fur.

Would this Miele thing work on those too, do you reckon?

I would think that he would need 2 cleaners. a Cheapo one to get the bulk of the cat hair (say a Henry) & the Miele to finish off. Miele are good, but I don't think they are designed to pick up hair from that many cats. The bags for Miele vacuums are not cheap & would fill up quite quickly if you used it everyday.

Soldato
Associate
Hey kaptainmarc,
Tried out canister vacuums and must say they are best for animal hair cleaning. Also easy to handle and effortless cleaning. They are portable and easy to carry around the house.They have really strong suction power to suck fine minute dirt particles like animal hair. Vax cleaners are real mess..!!!!!!!!!!!!
Canister vacuums works best on hardwood and carpet.
For further reviews you can visit http://www.canistervacuumreview.com/

Last edited:
Associate
We've had a Dyson Animal DC25 for years. We've got a long haired house cat and a labrador so fur is plentiful. Hoover every day and it's been great on all surfaces. What bugs me about it though is the power lead isn't long enough and nor is the flexible hose. Can't get to the top of the stairs without the hose on the verge of breaking and the power cable won't reach from where it gets plugged in downstairs to do upstairs. Too big and heavy to carry up the stairs as it's being used.

Soldato
We've had a Dyson Animal DC25 for years. We've got a long haired house cat and a labrador so fur is plentiful. Hoover every day and it's been great on all surfaces. What bugs me about it though is the power lead isn't long enough and nor is the flexible hose. Can't get to the top of the stairs without the hose on the verge of breaking and the power cable won't reach from where it gets plugged in downstairs to do upstairs. Too big and heavy to carry up the stairs as it's being used.

All points addressed by the miele, it has a stupidly long cable a very long flexible hose and is easily carried up and down when cleaning the stairs :)

Soldato
Miele C3 Cat&Dog. Got one at home and it's in another league compared to any other vacuum that I have used over the years including Henry and Dyson.

Not only is it amazingly good at cleaning the entire decision is excellent, well thought through and easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom