New samsung gear VR

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Pretty sure that will cost a lot more than £80, plus you going to need a kick ass pc for it.

It will be expensive, at least $350/£240 for the headset and the pc spec is:

◾NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
◾Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
◾8GB+ RAM
◾Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
◾3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
◾Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or newer

So really for serious VR fans and gamers.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Oooh, so 4pm our time I think. I've been that impressed by the Gear VR, I'm certainly interested.

I can't lie, I know very little about the main Oculus Rift, will it work with current 3D graphics games? Or software will need to be written specifically for it?

Yes it will be 16:00 GMT.

I'm the same as you on the workings of it but this should help:

http://www.wareable.com/oculus-rift/how-oculus-rift-works

With the games it appears as though the software has to be written for it which isn't very surprising.

Soldato
I bought the Note 4 version last week.

It was £170 on ebay :/ but they were over £200 new.

Its lots of fun, BUT the pixels are so visible its annoying.

I plugged in my wifes S6, and the pixels are much smaller, but the VR headset didn't see her phone as its not compatible. She needs the newer version.

I plan to order the Vive, or Rift and then sell on the VR, i expect it will sell for around £120-£150 in a few months as you simply cannot buy the NOTE 4 version anymore.

Associate
My Gear VR has been rendered useless for the time being as I have joined the Marshmallow firmware beta which currently doesn't support it.

Man of Honour
Oculus Rift is a silly early adopters price (£499+). So I've ordered a Gear VR (£80) and will then take a look at what the market has to offer at the end of the summer.

Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
So where do we buy these from in the UK Or is it not out here yet? Quite fancy trying it out as the oculus is too steep for me atm

Is this it?

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/samsung-gear-vr-s6-virtual-reality-3d-headset-for-samsung-galaxy/p2393589?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_1#page_loaded

Its like £95 on amazon so is this one above an older model?

Only reason i went JL is we get discount!

That is the new one so get it while they are in stock.

Mine was from here and arriving today:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/...-R322NZWABTU?catnm=Gears+&+Watches&catid=4340

That includes next day delivery. Out of stock again this morning. I guess people saw the Rift price and got this instead.

Permabanned
Milk VR is easily installed with a tunnelling app.

Condensation can be helped by some heavy breathing on the lenses before you put it on.

Which games did you try/buy?

Tunnelling app?

Seems counter productive to breath on the lens before putting on the headset but I'll give it a try, it's always the right lens that fogs up.

I don't remember the names, one was based around the Eve universe and the other was from the makers a monument valley.

Soldato
Gunjack and... I forget the other one's name too.

I'm told they mist up as the lenses are cold, so when you put them near your head they mist. Apparently 30 seconds of a hair dryer is ideal, but some heavy breathing helps a little.

Tunnelling, erm... a VPN.

Permabanned
Gunjack and... I forget the other one's name too.

I'm told they mist up as the lenses are cold, so when you put them near your head they mist. Apparently 30 seconds of a hair dryer is ideal, but some heavy breathing helps a little.

Tunnelling, erm... a VPN.

Ahh ok, I'll try a VPN (lots of free ones to choose from) and see if it works. Thanks.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom