Advice pls, approved used car supplied with wrong spec

Soldato
OP
The deal (which I've steered to what I think is a fair resolution) is a cheque for £750, new set wiper blades and fixing the glovebox light - a couple of issues which the car should have really had sorted.

They have to also fix a faulty parking sensor - warranty will cover and said they will not fit better bulbs to the car, so we need to sort that locally.

My dad loves the car and will accept, but pretty poor performance from BMW sales here in my opinion.

Resolved as far as he is concerned once we've fitted better Phillips bulbs or whatever comes out best after a little further research.

Soldato
Dunno why he didn't just return the car if the lights were so important to him. If he loves the car he'll love a different one that has the lights he wants.

Caporegime
The deal (which I've steered to what I think is a fair resolution) is a cheque for £750, new set wiper blades and fixing the glovebox light - a couple of issues which the car should have really had sorted.

They have to also fix a faulty parking sensor - warranty will cover and said they will not fit better bulbs to the car, so we need to sort that locally.

My dad loves the car and will accept, but pretty poor performance from BMW sales here in my opinion.

Resolved as far as he is concerned once we've fitted better Phillips bulbs or whatever comes out best after a little further research.

so they've basically agreed to fix a load of stuff that should have fixed prior to sale and done nothing about misleading your dad and giving him a car that wasn't the spec he asked for ? :(

At least your dad is happy. That's the main thing.

Soldato
so they've basically agreed to fix a load of stuff that should have fixed prior to sale and done nothing about misleading your dad and giving him a car that wasn't the spec he asked for ? :(

They gave him £750 too, that's probably the main part of the deal, rather than the wiper blades and glove box light

Soldato

My thoughts too. Obviously adaptive xenons weren't so much of a deal-breaker to him then.

Soldato
Given the information in this thread I wouldn't be happy with the £750 offer + some broken things fixed (which arguably should have been fixed prior to sale anyway).

But what I or anyone else thinks is irrelevant. Booner's dad is happy with it and accepted.

Bare in mind returning the car, and then finding another one involves a huge amount of faff. It's very easy to say "demand to return the car and look for a new one". You're all interested in cars - and you all know how long that takes. I have personally spent months looking for the best car my money can buy given my car requirements.

The situation was not ideal - but it's also about going forward with the least amount of faff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree with Richochet J buying a car is a right royal pain if you're looking for one with a certain spec and regardless if the xenons were a must have I probably would have settled for the cash as it's not as though we have spare cars just lying around to fall back on when this one goes back.

I had something similar with a Jag I was buying, the specs look fantastic, it then arrived and wasn't quite what I was looking for, the temptation was there for me to just say, sod it, I've been looking for months but the fact that I still had my current car made it easier to say no.

Man of Honour
Its very easy to say on the internet that you should just find another one but its only once you pick the spec you want and start looking you realise how difficult it is and how few cars there actually are.

Back
Top Bottom