• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How many of you are going to get a Broadwell-E CPU?

Caporegime
1500 USD... they can keep it.

It's just an option for those few people who can afford it, I don't see why people react badly to being given more choice. If Intel didn't release the $1500 10 core model and 8 core was the limit, you'd always have a small group of wealthy people saying that they wished there was a 10+ core model they could throw their money at.

Associate
Thinking about it. My i7-860 is still going strong, although it does take a little while to batch process larger RAW files. You can probably guess, I don't do any gaming. :)

I would like to have a crystal ball, though. After what happened with Broadwell and Skylake, who knows what will happen with their HEDT counterparts?

Soldato
Intel's Broadwell-E 6950X 10-core may cost $1500

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_broadwell-e_6950x_10-core_may_cost_1500/1

Knew it, didn't sound right that they would supply a 10 core for $1000. Well lets see what will happen, if people don't buy them then their prices will drop. Intel is just taking the micky now since Skylake and their silly prices.

Well ill just say...... Told you so!

There was never much chance of Intel selling a ten core chip for circa £800, with the eight core costing circa £600

Pound vs dollar is pretty poor at the moments as well .... So don't expect broadwell -e to start of at brilliant prices for the lowlier chips either

Looks like the 10 core will be £1200-1300 on launch once you add vat etc

Last edited:
Soldato
I am holding back for Skylake-E. But if the 3ghz 6950X is overclockable upto 4.5ghz then I may make an impulse purchase someday :)

I would imagine it will be rather hit and miss whether you'll be able to get one these cpu's to overclock that high with them having 10 cores.

Most of the haswell-e hex's can hit 4.5ghz
A lesser proportion of the Oct cores can reliably hit 4.5ghz

There's little reason to suspect that broadwell-e will overclock better than haswell-e by much if at all

So I would expect that 10 core 6950x's that can hit 4.5ghz reliably on all ten cores will distinctly be in the minority

Soldato
The three lower cpu's look to replace respectively the 5820, 5930 and 5960. Expect minor stock clock bumps and moat likely the same arrangement of PCI -e lanes 28/40/40. The new ten core represents a new tier.... And price point

Soldato
OP
Well if the 10 core is expensive as everyone says it will be I'll just get the 8 core model instead. It'll still be fast enough for games for at least 3 - 5 years and will still work well with SLI and Crossfire.

It would have been nice to get a 10 core because it would drastically improve video rendering performance but I can't afford the amount of money that people are saying it will cost.

Associate
Well if the 10 core is expensive as everyone says it will be I'll just get the 8 core model instead. It'll still be fast enough for games for at least 3 - 5 years and will still work well with SLI and Crossfire.

It would have been nice to get a 10 core because it would drastically improve video rendering performance but I can't afford the amount of money that people are saying it will cost.

Then you'll be playing right into their game.

There will always be people who want the 'best'. Realistically speaking, a 6 core will perform just as well as 8/10core for gaming/ real world performance i.e human down time between tasks. By introducing a 10 core, they are simply squeezing more money out of the people with too much/ too little wisdom.

Soldato
OP
After a lot of thinking and going back and forth over my options I decided to upgrade my graphics cards instead of doing a total system upgrade. So I'll stick with my current CPU for at least another year as it is still fast enough for pretty much all games (it is an i7 3930k running at 4.4Ghz).

So yeah an Nvidia 980Ti will last me for another year, possibly two. By then Skylake-E should have been released with loads of new motherboard features.

Realistically speaking, a 6 core will perform just as well as 8/10core for gaming/ real world performance i.e human down time between tasks.

This is just wrong. When encoding 3 or more videos in a batch process having a 10 core could easily knock 30+ minutes off the encoding time compared to my current 6 core. Possibly more given the increased IPC of newer CPUs as well.

Soldato
any ideas on when we may see concrete pricing on theses cpus really am reading for upgrading :p

As with most tech stuff you wont know the uk price till its up for sale.... Some places may try and entice you with a pre order price without stock but Intel sell cpu's in $'s and so the end price depends quite a bit on the exchange rate. Lots of stuff is currently creeping up in price due to the poor $/£ exchange witness the 5960x which normally cost £800 ish for most of its life and now costs not far of 10% more on ocuk with prices up pretty much everywhere else as well for a chip that's almost eol!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...rocessor-retail-bx80648i75960x-cp-550-in.html

Back
Top Bottom