We want feedback on the Overclockers UK Booths in GAME Stores

Soldato
You should market these purely on the POWER advantage. Lose the keyboard and mouse, just have a controller and a Steam Big Picture account per booth, with like Witcher 3 running or something. Once you get console-centric passerbys looking at how much more powerful a reasonable spec PC is then you have opened the door to the rest of the package.

I completely agree with this guy!

Soldato
Isn't it free though? i.e they don't have to spend £xx per store to license a new AAA on each machine.

In an ideal world if you want to 'showcase' PC gaming then you'd have a demo running the same game (lets say Witcher 3 for instance), once running in console mode with medium graphics running sub 30fps with a comparison of PC mode running high details at 60+ fps. But Game might not want to alienate their console shoppers.

There are plenty of free benchmarking tools out there.

Associate
Was in the Braehead store and saw the OCUK display, looked really good and quite a few people were standing around it discussing PC's and asking why isn't there a more prominent PC gaming section in the store.

I think it's a really good idea, you don't see that many places on the high street that display good quality PC components. Curry's PC World is a joke really.

Should have picked Glasgow Silverburn though, it's a much better establishment :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Why aren't you in the GAME about 2 miles from you?
Or Hanley?

I've already asked this, it's yet be answered.

We understand that we're not in a lot of GAME stores right now. We are in 10. There are more to come. We have been installing in the stores that have the most footfall, and the ones that were able to put up the booths ASAP.

We have a shop in Stoke already, so people can just pop to our HQ, but this still doesn't mean we won't have a booth in the Hanley branch. This just takes time. :)

Soldato
We understand that we're not in a lot of GAME stores right now. We are in 10. There are more to come. We have been installing in the stores that have the most footfall, and the ones that were able to put up the booths ASAP.

We have a shop in Stoke already, so people can just pop to our HQ, but this still doesn't mean we won't have a booth in the Hanley branch. This just takes time. :)

Having one in Hanley would have immediately increased the footfall to the shop as it would be much easier to get to with being local, I would have thought? Those dam console players need educating. Anyway, look forward to seeing your eventual presence in the store at Hanley.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Having one in Hanley would have immediately increased the footfall to the shop as it would be much easier to get to with being local, I would have thought? Those dam console players need educating. Anyway, look forward to seeing your eventual presence in the store at Hanley.

I agree with you. - We just need to fast forward the time. :)

Soldato

That's great point actually. I just thought that as they've got the store in Newcastle-Under-Lyme it wouldn't make much of difference. Personally I'd live to see the shop itself expand even further or even a dedicated OcUK store somewhere as some point.

Soldato
Was at the Trafford Centre one a couple of weeks ago, remember:

-podium/booth thing near tills which is good, the bad is that if queuing at tills you cannot see the booth as blocked by a huge Darth Vader model.
-on the right hand side; Steam products, link and controllers.
-to the left was PS3 used games.
-behind/opposite on one side of the shelving unit PC Games, well about 30 titles and where PC voucher cards lived.
-other side of shelving unit, keyboards, mice and headsets and a huge stack of Thrustmaster T-16000M's.

But the PS4 and Xbone podiums has dedicated staff attending them with snazzy t-shirts and lanyards.

Soldato
Grow your market share or even better grow the market. Fair play for trying something different, PC gaming needs to do something.

For the family audience I would say that a full or even midi system my be a leap too far in terms of size. A SFF machine blowing XBOX One or PS4 graphics out of the water would capture the kids and not scare away the parental buyers. The Steam idea above is a very good one.

Associate
I just wanna say congrats to OCUK for doing this, it is well needed and I really hope it works out for you guys. However I'm not in range of any stores here in Kent so I cant comment yet, here's hoping this goes well for you and you can expand. Game need a kick up the arse. Are you speaking to PC world too?

Soldato
You won't bring PC gaming back to the high street, it's had its day.

GAME won't go back to stocking PC games with the huge amount of digital delivery systems out there, it's for console gamers now. I've not stepped foot in a GAME for a few years due to them pushing out PC games. You'll also be hard pushed to convert console gamers to PC systems, maybe the odd one or two but I doubt it'll be enough to make the investment in man hours worth it.

Soldato
You won't bring PC gaming back to the high street, it's had its day.

GAME won't go back to stocking PC games with the huge amount of digital delivery systems out there, it's for console gamers now. I've not stepped foot in a GAME for a few years due to them pushing out PC games. You'll also be hard pushed to convert console gamers to PC systems, maybe the odd one or two but I doubt it'll be enough to make the investment in man hours worth it.

they do stock PC games :confused:

Associate
Popped into Braehead to check it out, looked pretty smart. Seemed pretty busy too and attracted a fair bit of attention. Anything that brings more pc stuff back in store is good.

Even if it doesn't work that well for Game hopefully it works out well for you guys.

Back
Top Bottom