Who uses Amazon Prime and streams to TV

Associate
Evening all

Not sure if its in the right place but seems General to me.

I signed up to Amazon prime steaming service. My Mac runs the content via safari and is mirrored on my Sony TV via a HDMI cable.

Iv watched several episodes of 'The Man in the High Castle' and a few movies including '12 Years a Slave', all played perfectly fine in HD.

Since yesterday the content refuses to play in HD. It says 'Your video will play in standard definition because your computer hardware, HMDI cables, and display must meet all content protection (HDCP) requirements for HD video.

Iv downloaded and tried google chrome which gives me the same problem. Iv made no changes to the hardware whatsoever.

If I turn my TV off so its playing on the mac screen only the HD kicks back in.

Any advice would be appreciated....

Associate
OP
Are you using silverlight? Read disabling it works sometimes.

Iirc you can use flash instead so maybe it will work.

Yes I'm using Silverlight. I did get the silverlight error 6000 a couple times. Tried reinstalling it, no difference.

Please tell me more about disabling silverlight and using flash?

Soldato
Been a while since I used safari but you should be able to disable plugins. Then try reloading the page and see if you get the flash option.

Edit: before you do that try deleting the mspr.hds file from;

hardisk/Library/Application/Microsoft/Playready

Quick google suggests it might be a DRM issue.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Safari - now refuses to play any video. Gives me Silverlight Error 6000.

Chrome - Plays SD only, gives HDCP requirements note.

Firefox - Says 'active silverlight'. Once you click on it you get the same Silverlight 6000 error as Safari.

This is after reinstalling silverlight!

Associate
Had a similar issue with a projector at work, we had to change the hdmi cable which sorted it.
Could try that ?

In fact iirc the woman at Projectorpoiint sent us a special hdmi cable ......

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They might have updated the site.

They updated it about a month ago, and I can no longer use a geo VPN, even is set for UK.

So they may have updated to also contain the HDPC standards.

Just check what in your system isn't hdcp compliant, if it's just the hdmi, buy one that is.

Associate
OP
What a load of ****! Worked perfectly fine for weeks, upgrade to the latest OSX and you get problems.

Guess updating your software is not always best! 'If it aint broke why fix' it comes to mind.

Associate
OP
They might have updated the site.

They updated it about a month ago, and I can no longer use a geo VPN, even is set for UK.

So they may have updated to also contain the HDPC standards.

Just check what in your system isn't hdcp compliant, if it's just the hdmi, buy one that is.

From what I can remember my cable was from Apple. So surely they should not have made changes that would effect it...

Soldato
I haven't tried in a while as I bought a TV with Amazon app built in, but before that I used to airplay from my phone through Apple TV and it was all in HD and never had any issues - pretty sure I watched both movies and TV shows on it too

Soldato
For £35 it's well worth getting a FireTV stick. I have the full box and it's brilliant. Having a remote makes life so much easier than having to mirror stuff all the time. I have an AppleTV which I use for All4 occasionally, but it's such a faff I rarely want to bother.

Back
Top Bottom