Giving your children an 'unusual' name

Soldato
I heard or read a study that found boys tend to be happier growing up with a common name, whereas girls are happier with an uncommon name. It makes some sense to me, given the respective pressures boys and girls face as they grow up. I know I wouldn't have wanted a poncy "special" name when I was in my teens - **** that.

As it happens, we went for a standard top-20 name for the boy and the uncommon, but not unusual, name of Tabitha for the girl (something like 300th in popularity). We've been pretty happy with that setup - the kids are too young to give critical feedback, though.

Agree with whoever mentioned strange spellings - I know someone who added a 'z' into Alexander for her boy, and finds it a right PITA having to spell it out every time because no-one expects such a crap spelling.

Soldato
Not sure if you are referring to me as the OP but it is 'Addison'

Madison Addison (yes it is a boy's name, though somewhat recently appropriated by American parents for their daughters). Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with classical/biblical names. Fashionable names date so quickly as they go out of favour.

Back
Top Bottom