Help with how to get a wired connection?

Associate
Ive recently purchased my first computer, ive learnt which parts are what and everything here is the build ** No Competitors **
My only problem is i have no idea what to purchase for a wired connection? My pc will be in my bedroom upstairs, and our router is downstairs in the living room, we are on virgin. And its laggy most times. So how would i go about doing this?

Associate
Assuming that your router has RJ45 (Ethernet) ports empty and you have installed your motherboard drivers you should just need to head over to here and pick a cable that is long enough to reach between the two devices. Your motherboard supports Gigabit/s networking so Cat 5e cable is appropriate (Cat 6 supports greater speeds but is generally less flexible due to shielding and is backwards compatible with Cat 5e etc).

Just make sure the description on the page for the part you pick says something along the lines of "connect your computer to your router/switch" rather than "to directly connect 2 computers together" just incase your router doesn't support adaptive cable topologies.

Soldato
OP - kindly remove the competitor link, not allowed here :)

Wireless adapter to connect to your Virgin Hub (and suffer the rubbish wireless performance), homeplug kit or a long ethernet cable run. We have a similar situation in our house, but I bought a 3rd party router which improved wireless performance massively.

Associate
OP
Assuming that your router has RJ45 (Ethernet) ports empty and you have installed your motherboard drivers you should just need to head over to here and pick a cable that is long enough to reach between the two devices. Your motherboard supports Gigabit/s networking so Cat 5e cable is appropriate (Cat 6 supports greater speeds but is generally less flexible due to shielding and is backwards compatible with Cat 5e etc).

Just make sure the description on the page for the part you pick says something along the lines of "connect your computer to your router/switch" rather than "to directly connect 2 computers together" just incase your router doesn't support adaptive cable topologies.
Right so just buy a cable that will fit from my router to my pc?

Associate
I think im gunna need a longer cable mate, my bedroom is on the opposite side of the house to the router lol,

The spec supports up to 90m for permanent wiring, the longest OcUK stock is 30 here and if 30m won't reach that would explain your wireless issues!

If 30m doesn't reach you have a couple of options, one of which is to drop a switch/hub in every 30m to act as a signal booster (this will add a bit of signal delay through processing time etc). You are probably best using a tape measure or some string and working out the port to port distance following the route you would want the cable to follow to give you your minimum and then add a bit on to account for bend rads of the cable etc!

Soldato
We have 2 pcs upstairs and I just have them connected via Ethernet leads from my ASUS n56u router which is connected to the Superhub which is just set to modem mode

we only use wireless for mobiles and tablets :)

Associate
Use powerline adapters.

Plug ethernet from router to powerline.

Plug ethernet from powerline adapter in your room to PC.

Done.

Depends on how the building is wired as to how effective that will be, if the downstairs ring is seperate from the upstairs ring then you may get issues with large switching currents from other devices as well as potentially causing other issues.

If the OP knows someone with a set of powerline adapters that can be borrowed for a quick trial then that would prove out if that brand/model works OK.

Associate
You reckon its worth getting another router installed? Will this give my Pc better performance than the one downstairs being so far away?

Have that kind of setup at my parents, you would still need to link the two together as using one as a wireless relay box is probably just going to make your ping worse if it is purely a WiFi repeater (though signal strength will improve).

Even worse if you get a cheap repeater box that uses exactly the same band as the router and you use a phone with WiFi between the two as the QOS will normally drop as the band is more congested.

Associate
OP
Don
If you know any electricians, ask them for help to run a cat5e cable. I imagine they would have the tools to make the RJ45 ends up for you. It's specc'd to 100 metres.

Back
Top Bottom